Effects Of Potassium On Cannabinoids

Mitchell Florn

THIS ARTICLE IS ALSO AN EXCELLENT SOURCE AT UNDERSTAND AT UNDERSTANDING THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN POTASSIUM AND CANNABINOIDS

HERE IS A FEW JOURNAL ARTICLES THAT HAVE EXCELLENT INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR QUESTION

So all three papers seemed to find that cannabis does not need increased P or K in flower, which makes sense as it is not a fruiting plant.
@farside05 probably isn't surprised by this.

So all three papers seemed to find that cannabis does not need increased P or K in flower, which makes sense as it is not a fruiting plant.

The P didn't surprise me, but the recommended K levels of 60-175 ppm did. As did the detrimental effects on cannabinoids and terpenes as the levels of K increases. 60 was best for cannabinoids and 175 for yield. So it's a balancing act. It's making me think of making up a batch of nutes based on a minimalistic approach for my next run.

Also found it interesting that the plant stores P early in the grow and translocates it as needed in later development. Late boosts of P are unnecessary, and adding more K decreases the strength and flavor via cannabinoids and terpenes. Completely counter to what the nute manufacturers are marketing.

Edit to add...

Is this the real reason that organic growers claim that their weed has better flavor? We bottle/powder folks could be destroying flavors by overfeeding it K.

Is this the real reason that organic growers claim that their weed has better flavor? We bottle/powder folks could be destroying flavors by overfeeding it K.

I believe it’s a little more nuanced than that, but I do think this is likely one of the major factors. I’m intrigued and have to read these now, thanks a lot 😂 (seriously though, sweet, I love new information)

Not a fruiting plant?? What exactly would you call a fully developed ripe and juicy bud then? I would bet that a deer coming along and noticing that plant would think those nice little fruits would be good to nibble on.

That being said, I clearly see an increased need for both K and P in flower, and I can see that by giving this extra bit of nutrient the plants use it to build bigger fruits instead of reacting negatively to it. The entirety of the Finishing Supplement industry would tend to agree with me. As I judge these above presented studies as to their accuracy when dealing with the high THC strains that most of us grow, it really confuses me why we think that a study on the effects of cannabinoid concentrations in Hemp is even germain to the conversation, when hemp is not exactly known for producing such things. Not every study produces valuable results and this presentation is a great example as to why peer review is so important.

As I judge these above presented studies as to their accuracy when dealing with the high THC strains that most of us grow, it really confuses me why we think that a study on the effects of cannabinoid concentrations in Hemp is even germain to the conversation, when hemp is not exactly known for producing such things.

The strains used in the study are Royal Medic, a balanced THC/CBD strain that's 10% THC, and Desert Queen that's 17% THC and .3% CBD. So they aren't talking about hemp.

The strains used in the study are Royal Medic, a balanced THC/CBD strain that's 10% THC, and Desert Queen that's 17% THC and .3% CBD. So they aren't talking about hemp.
I didn't even open the third link because it was clearly talking about industrial hemp in what I could read of it in the intro. You, as a recognized expert on this subject also failed to address any of the other points I made. Is this not a flowering/fruiting weed? Why do we not ALL burn our plants when giving PK boosters at the end, even in organic grows, if the plants don't need it or want it? This argument reminds me of the droughting club, who insist this creates a stronger product, even without side by side tests to prove that a lack of water for 11-13 days at the end is better than full hydration. It is very hard to prove a negative.

I didn't even open the third link because it was clearly talking about industrial hemp in what I could read of it in the intro. You, as a recognized expert on this subject also failed to address any of the other points I made. Is this not a flowering/fruiting weed? Why do we not ALL burn our plants when giving PK boosters at the end, even in organic grows, if the plants don't need it or want it? This argument reminds me of the droughting club, who insist this creates a stronger product, even without side by side tests to prove that a lack of water for 11-13 days at the end is better than full hydration. It is very hard to prove a negative.
Interesting - the boosters I use are for weeks 2-4 of flower, much beyond that and it will just keep flowering and runs the risk of foxtails which don't mature properly
Drought, 36hrs darkness, cold water, hanging the plants roots n all - it makes sod all difference in my view, any improvement is psychosomatic

Interesting - the boosters I use are for weeks 2-4 of flower, much beyond that and it will just keep flowering and runs the risk of foxtails which don't mature properly
Drought, 36hrs darkness, cold water, hanging the plants roots n all - it makes sod all difference in my view, any improvement is psychosomatic
Interesting point Roy. You remind me of FoxFarm's recommendations on how to use Cha-Ching. They do indeed recommend backing off in the last two weeks, or you perpetuate bloom. Maybe these guys knew about this balancing act all along. Follow the directions seems to be the best advice. It makes sense though, and reading through those papers who admit that more study needs to be done, I am going to have to rethink my feed them strongly to the very end philosophy... and maybe, just maybe, the droughting, the starving at the end, might all have some basis in fact after all. Certainly makes me go hmmmmm.

Is this not a flowering/fruiting weed?

I would call it a flowering weed rather than a fruiting weed.

Why do we not ALL burn our plants when giving PK boosters at the end, even in organic grows, if the plants don't need it or want it?

As the article suggests, necrosis from too much K starts at 250 ppm. So as long as the grower is not exceeding that number, there won't be any "burn". There were a number of growers that experienced this when using MC, which is already K heavy, and other PK supplements from Greenleaf which are quite stout in the K department. If I recall correctly, when I ran the numbers, those that had plants go crispy overnight were in the 280 ppm range.

Not a fruiting plant?? What exactly would you call a fully developed ripe and juicy bud then? I would bet that a deer coming along and noticing that plant would think those nice little fruits would be good to nibble on.
I would call them flowers. Which is exactly what they are.
I'm not going to base my definitions on the dietary habits of deer.
The entirety of the Finishing Supplement industry would tend to agree with me. As
They're a commercial industry. They supply whatever the market wants regardless of whether it's beneficial or not.
You're exactly right to call them "supplements", as the dietary supplement industry seems to operate on the same principle.
Personally I think this is another example of a gardening/farming practice being applied to cannabis, when it's not really applicable to our plants.
Now that the plant is no longer illegal here more studies will be coming out that will challenge or support our standard practices.
Not every study produces valuable results and this presentation is a great example as to why peer review is so important.
So you believe these were published without peer review? The second study quoted above is posted on the NIH website.

Not a fruiting plant?? What exactly would you call a fully developed ripe and juicy bud then?
I will call them a bunch of already spent and still blooming flowers. They are not the fruit. The fruit would be any seeds that might be forming inside of the bract.

I would bet that a deer coming along and noticing that plant would think those nice little fruits would be good to nibble on.
The deer walking through the apple orchard in the fall is not looking for blossoms or flowers. It is looking for those nice plump coatings of sweet pulp surrounding the seeds. All the flowers disappeared months before.:)

NPK 3-1-4 is optimal for growing Cannabis according to science. There's no news that excess P and K is detrimental for Cannabis yield and potency. Especially excess K.

Bloom, Veg nutrients and PK boosters are a result of marketing. The plant needs more or less the same mineral ratio from start to finish at different strength.

Less is more growing Cannabis.

THIS ARTICLE IS ALSO AN EXCELLENT SOURCE AT UNDERSTAND AT UNDERSTANDING THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN POTASSIUM AND CANNABINOIDS

Wow.. This is pretty fascinating stuff

IMG_5411.jpeg

It won’t let me post the images of the actual THC/CBD etc. results but those are impressive as well.

After reading that it seems I am on to something with my belief that the way and the work a plant puts in to getting its nutrition directly affects its quality and output. When you step in and perform the function for the plant, secondary metabolites decrease proportionally almost. Still more nuanced than that but whatever it’s the theoretical stage lol. I’m about to go super deep, thanks for these!

Cannabis produces a special kind of fruit, it is called an achene.

An achene (/əˈkiːn/;[1] from Ancient Greek ἀ (a) 'privative', and χαίνειν (khaínein) 'to gape'),[2] also sometimes called akene and occasionally achenium or achenocarp, is a type of simple dry fruit produced by many species of flowering plants. Achenes are monocarpellate (formed from one carpel) and indehiscent (they do not open at maturity). Achenes contain a single seed that nearly fills the pericarp, but does not adhere to it. In many species, what is called the "seed" is an achene, a fruit containing the seed. The seed-like appearance is owed to the hardening of the fruit wall (pericarp), which encloses the solitary seed so closely as to seem like a seed coat.[2]

Examples[edit]
The fruits of buttercup, buckwheat, caraway, quinoa, amaranth, and cannabis are typical achenes

They're a commercial industry. They supply whatever the market wants regardless of whether it's beneficial or not.
You're exactly right to call them "supplements", as the dietary supplement industry seems to operate on the same principle.
Personally I think this is another example of a gardening/farming practice being applied to cannabis, when it's not really applicable to our plants.
Now that the plant is no longer illegal here more studies will be coming out that will challenge or support our standard practices.

So you believe these were published without peer review? The second study quoted above is posted on the NIH website.
We in this community are essentially the world's "professional" growers of this weed. We need to be included in any peer review before it is valid. Just going through universities is not going to cut it as far as I am concerned. I don't consider a subject fully vetted until it has passed through the 420 Magazine peer review.
The deer walking through the apple orchard in the fall is not looking for blossoms or flowers. It is looking for those nice plump coatings of sweet pulp surrounding the seeds.
You described weed perfectly right there... coatings of sweet pulp surrounding the seeds.

L.M.A.O 🤣🤣.....THE DEER COMMENT IS CLASSIC...LOVE IT. THEY ARE FOLWERS

cannabis-plant-anatomy-by-dutch-passion-EN.jpg

Back
Top Bottom