Electric current bad for plants?

Sorry I only used that analogy because water and water pressure and water flow are 100% analogous so most people find the explanations more easy to understand than Electrons, Voltage and Current flow.

Ah I see now my confusion. I thought you were worried that current was flowing through them constantly. The root of the question now as I understand it is such a basic one that I never made the jump to assume you would be worried about that. Sorry.

When you grabbed the leaf then and only then you created a ground path for the current to go somewhere so for that moment a very small amount of current went through the plant. The worst damage would be right where you touched it. The rest of the plant would be much less damaged because the bottleneck for the current is there so the current density is highest there...and the interface resistance would be highest there so it would get hottest there. So if you are not seeing damage there then you should not be worried about the other places in the plant where the current did not flow or flowed with much less current density.

I do believe that watching the video I posted it would help you understand this...maybe not. It is just cool to see live HV power being repaired by a guy hanging out of a helicopter.

Sorry but it matters because if electricity is not flowing through them then the question doesn't really matter. I understand you had momentary current when you touched them but again since you were there and watched nothing happen I assumed you understood that.

I didn't go on an on about it because with electricity it is just like people and dogs. I am not arguing. I am trying to explain that you are worried about something that didn't happen. The damage that didn't happen...sure current was flown but there was no real damage. If the electricity was an issue it would have burned them immediately. Ever since you stopped touching them they have been healing but probably they never were damaged to begin with. Electricity can flow through most things without damaging them. It depends on how much current is flowing and at some point it can be big enough to damage something but it would be obvious.

Ask yourself this...Would you have been better served if I had simply answered "No you are fine"...I can just post that?

My vast credentials were only stated because you refused to understand the post and accused me of being someone who doesn't know "anything" about passing electricity through plants. I happen to know a lot about it. They are fine.

:peace:

Yes, I would have been much more satisfied with a simple "No, they are fine". Everything about my OP was describing a shock when touching the plants. How would I have known there was an electricity leak present if that wasn't the case? Instead you seemed to be arguing that it was impossible for me to have felt a shock. It was frustrating not getting an answer to the question but instead a dispute of my experience and off-topic diagnosis of my plant's leaves. Sorry the picture distracted you.

Your electrical explanations were not addressing the question because I guess you didn't understand it, so it was further confusing me. I actually looked up that helicopter video myself before you linked it, trying to get understanding. And yes, that video makes sense. But again, it did not exactly apply to my situation. Water is analogous to electricity, but not 100%... It felt like you were just repeatedly trying to prove your point instead of listening to what I was asking. Your demeanor from your first post seems conceited like I'm stupid for even asking this question and even stupider for not seeing what you see with overwatering. For the record, they were underwatered and N deficient.

Normally I wouldn't mind learning more about something someone else is an expert about. But because you were so arrogantly wrong about the overwatering and ignored my question you just looked like an ass going in-depth about how much of an expert you are. Sorry that my reaction was that extreme, but I feel like I get a very narrow opportunity here to actually have a question answered. I was anxious the thread was going to die as "ur not grounded bro, dry out that grow!"
It seems more common lately that people just circle the FAQ looking to pad their posts or pet their pride instead of actually caring about answering people's questions. I don't doubt your good intentions, but there's subtle differences between wanting to help people and wanting to feel like you're helping people.

But now that you understand my question, your answer about the plants being okay and explaining the bottleneck is very satisfying and interesting to me. Thank you for spending the time on your posts and sticking with my confusion. Sorry if this really was a dumb question.

As you guys guessed, they don't appear to be damaged at all from the electricity. I transplanted them last night and they all had healthy, dry roots with unburned leaves. Still struggling with a nute problem. I admit, from the start some of the plants have looked a little mutated. But I think they will grow out of it.

IMG_124032.JPG

IMG_124525.JPG

I saw lightning hit a tree once. It didn't end well for the tree. Then again, that tree was pretty well grounded! I'm worried more about the fact you were shocked more than once.

Repair/replace your faulty eqt
Fix your grounding issue
Try to let your plants dry out some

They'll be fine. Trust what you've been told.

Back
Top Bottom