Emeraldgemini's 1st Grow Ever! - Indoor - Sour Diesel - March 2012

emeraldgemini

This is my first attempt at growing MMJ. I do love to garden and do well at it, so I am optimistic!

heres the stats:

Bucket Size - 2 gallon
Medium - Fox Farm brand Ocean Forest-approx 25% coco fiber
Lights - (2) 600w HPS over one 4x4, T-8 florescent with 8tubes plus 2-two light fixtures with 6500k t12's on each side for better tray coverage.
Nutrients - Maxsea all purpose 16-16-16
Strain(s) - sour Diesel, Sour Grape
# of Plants: 37 and 2 respectively
Yield : not yet known

for starters I converted a 10x12 storage shed framed to building code with 2x4's. Insulated with the pink panther stuff. inside walls and ceiling are OSB painted heavily with several coates of pure white satin paint.

There are four 110v two plug receptacles in the ceiling running off of a 20amp switch and 6 -240v receptacles in the south wall.
There are also 2 more 110v receptacles on the same wall as the 240v.
I have two mini hoods with 4" vents, one larger hood with 6" vents and one 4foot vented glass tube thingy with that is 6" and has a light in each end. All five lights are 600w.
I have a charcoal filter that is about 20" or so with an 8" fan.
I have a general intake that is 6" with a backdraft damper and a 6" can fan.
I have another 6" can fan that will be used to vent the lights when I start using them all.
I have 3 16" fans blowing on my clones.
I have a 48gal. pickel barrel with an air pump and two stones in the bottom.

Currently I have the intake and exhaust fans running off a thermastat meant for an attic fan. So far I am not happy with the accuracy. seems to be on when the room is only 68 deg!
I also have a dehumidifier and an oil filled radiator heater.

I am working on getting pics here for visuals.

I got the clones on 3/11/12 and transplanted them that evening.

I watered them afterwards with just water.
on 3/13/12 I watered again with the maxsea 16-16-16

Re: emeraldgemini's 1st grow ever!- indoor-sourdiesel-March 2012

Sounds like it's going good. :peace: Looking forward to updates. Rastafari.

Photo03142010.jpg

here is my power wall with panel, timer for 240v, 3 white ballasts on shelves, 2 electronic ballasts on wall.

Photo03142010_1.jpg

this is my 48gal. pepper barrell $13. drilled two small holes near top for airtubes, they were getting pinched by lid.

Photo03142014_1.jpg

This is an 8" intake reduced to a 6" Y for venting lights.

Photo03142011.jpg

This is the 4ft. light tube thingy with 2-600w lights and reflector

Photo03142012_3.jpg

The t-8's with 6500k t12's on each side for better coverage at edges.

Photo03142012_2.jpg

photo of same with babies. The gray pot is a jalepeno and the small things with seeds are anaheims and passillas.. I love to garden but the weather is wacky this year!

Photo03142011_1.jpg

Here you can see the pedestal fan $20 walmart. and the vented hood above for after veg is over.
Photo03142012.jpg

Here is other tray vegging with 2-600w HPS

Photo03142012_1.jpg

closup of the same with another jalapeno

thanks! So far I have noticed a couple of problems. The first is my thermostat. It is not very precise. I spent $22 at Freidmans for the attic fan type. Looks like I will have to buy another. The second is my intake. I have a filter box I built that uses a 14"x24" flat filter. This is mounted on the outside of my shed. Then I have a 6" intake and backdraft damper with an elbow and then the 6" can fan blowing straight down into the room. (There is an upstairs to my shed that is separate) Outside it sounds like a wind tunnel when the fan is on. I do not think it is from the fan, maybe I should have used a larger intake to reduce the speed the wind is traveling then reduce it down after entering ceiling of grow room. Any thoughts on this??

I am now a week into grow.
I have lost two clones so far, a couple more look a little anemic as well.

The good news is that I am seeing roots poking out the bottom of the pots!!!!!!

my friend told me that we should spread them out now to the other trays and fire up the other light because when the roots start to hang out we can put them into shock moving them and causing the roots to get pinched or damaged....thoughts???

a couple of issues I have found so far with my room:

1: The intake sounds like a wind tunnel from the outside. This is an issue as I would prefer some stealth with my operation.
possible solution. increasing my intake pipe from 6" to 8" or 10".
I was thinking a 10" because when you do the math the volumn is about the same as three 6" pipes. So the air will be moving much slower traveling through at that point, then I can reduce it after I elbow it down into the lower grow room.

ok, I know I mentioned a couple of issues, but I am tired and have to get up at 2am for work, so one for now.

just rechecked my pics, I will get new ones tomorrow, those plants a a lot bigger? The biggest being about 9 inches tall!

Hello again and sorry everyone(all three of you)
My internet has been down and I have not been able to update anything, especially pics.
For now I will just tell you about wht has changed.

Changed my intake, dropped the venting into the grow room, then used about 3 ft. of flex before fan. has quieted things down alot outside.

I also noticed that the tray of clones under the 2-600w hps lights had thicker stalks and were bushier and taller in general than the clones under the t5's and t8's. So I pulled the flourescents and fired up the other 600w hps.

a couple days after that I vented all of the lights and moved some of the plants over to the third tray and fired up the 4ft tube with the 600w hps in each end.

I had also noticed that my jalepenos under the HPS were twice as big as the one under the t5's.

pics will be coming soon, just have to figure out how to not have the lines, hopefully tonight!!

I still have 4 clones around 7" most are between 10" and 12" with 2 at 14"

I am thinking about doing some heavy fimming on the biggest ones and very little or no topping on the smaller ones hoping that they will catch up a little.

I have also noticed some leaf curling and will be flushing soon.

I bought a cheap reptile humidity gauge and see that my room stays between 35% and 38%. I have read that during veg it is good to keep it a bit higher. Any thoughts?? Am I losing anything having it so low during veg?

I just wanted to put some first day pics right next to some 2 week pics.

kind of cool to look at them together like this. Also notice the jalapenos, big sive difference!!!

Photo03142012_1.jpg

100_03674.JPG

Photo03142012_2.jpg

100_03683.JPG

WOW you've gotten alot of growth from them in the last 2 weeks! looking great buddy! your set up is looking nice i love your exhaust system personally i wish i could afford one for my grow or have the time to set it up. glad you added some updates to look at i was wodnering what was going on

so far I have only spent about $300 on equipment. I check craigslist a lot and have purchased a lot of used stuff. Another great source is people who have had a renter or roomate move out and leave equipment. The people stuck with it just want rid of it.

The 4' tube thngy I borrowed from a friend.
the two trays under it he gave me along with another 2x3.
He also gave me the 6" vented hood. the light bulb and socket had blown up and he thought it was ruined. The socket was a $10 part.
The two small hoods with the 4" vents were $30 each used.
The t5 fixture I bought for $50
the t8's I had laying around waiting for another project in my laundry room.
all of the bulbs are old and need replaced, so I know that regardless of how this cycle turns out my next will be even better with new bulbs all around!!
The venting has mostly been from garage sales or people dumping equipment. same with the 6" flex.
The only thing I have bought new is the 4" flex.
I just got another carbon filter like the ones in the pics with a bunch of venting and various other small odds and ends for $50. Also got an Adjustable Recycling Timer in that deal too, not sure what that is for though!!

Keep your eyes open, it can be done on a budget!!!

update:
I flushed saturday 3/24.

I have some leaves that are looking brown and a bit curled.
I was told that this could be because of the coco fiber I mixed with the soil.
any one have any experience with this???

If you look at my pics you can see that I have 3 basic areas under the lights. I moved plants around because i did not want the bigger healthier plants dominating the smaller ones. So all the biggest are on the black tray, then the next 12 on the white with all the smallest under the tube light.

I have 6 bigger pots laying around, so as a test I took the 6 smallest plants and transplanted them to those pots. 5-4gallon and 1-3 gallon.

I know that this is probably not the best idea at this stage since I am planning on flipping this weekend, but since they are the smallest 6 plants I figure ther eis not a lot to lose and potentially much to gain.

on all 6 of the plants the roots were very healthy and held the dirt together really well while transplanting.

I have a couple of pics to go with that. I will post them tomorrow.

I do not want to sound like one of those skinny people complaining about gaining a pound to a fat person, but.....I am trying to figure out when I want to flip and my plants just seem to be exploding!!!!

at least half of my plants are 14" or more with the talles ones just getting over 16"!!!! And one at 17"
I am just 16 days into this grow!

So for the last few days they are growing at least 1" per day!!

The problem is that sour diesel is suposed to triple in height after flipped!!!

I just topped/fimmed and have not seen anything happen from that yet!!!

I am going to spend some time right now reading up on the bending thing LSM or LST or whatever it is called.... I think I will need to use it a lot.

Back
Top Bottom