Feeding 1 day after heavy RO watering

Johnny5thesim

Hi! I’m hoping someone could give me a bit of advice. I have a plant that’s in veg, day 35. I’m using Promix HP soilless medium. I was seeing some yellow tips and a little bit of curling downward at the tips. I thought there was possibly some toxicity going on. So I did a heavy watering (7L in 5 gallon smart pot) last night with straight PH 5.9 water. Today I discovered that my problem is likely windburn, as I have noticed a bit of leaf damage. I then removed a bit, and thoroughly inspected under microscope to rule out prescence of pests.

I am not sure if I should wait until they dry out to feed them some nutrients? Possibly leaving the plant hungry. Or if I should just add a litre of feed so there’s some nutes in the medium? Or does overwatering become a concern?

The plant is otherwise beautiful and healthy. I appreciate any advice:)

Attachments

• 5A316F32-A5D2-40A7-8EC5-4CC6B7DDEC11.jpeg
    5A316F32-A5D2-40A7-8EC5-4CC6B7DDEC11.jpeg
    597.6 KB · Views: 152
  • C1797129-F836-44D1-9309-FC483DC9A21A.jpeg
    C1797129-F836-44D1-9309-FC483DC9A21A.jpeg
    488.6 KB · Views: 143
Not only is over-watering a concern but it is your absolute worst enemy. Over-watering will drown the roots and cause them to start decaying and then it will look like the plant has all kinds of deficiencies when in reality it's just a symptom of root issues. Your plant will be just fine with water for a while. Besides, you are in veg when plants adapt. If things start to yellow up at the bottom of a little bit you just give it food the next watering and it'll come right back the way it should be. Once you hit flower it's not so easy because they don't adapt anymore. I would say my biggest concern with your plan is it looks like you have little white dots all over the Leafs indicating that you have a spider mite issue?

I’ve been very careful of overwatering. And I’ve got a pretty good grip on it. I’ve been making sure they get good wet/dry cycles. But the 7L RO water flush was an attempt to remove some salts. I’ll hold off on feeding for a few days until it dries up.

As for the white dots. They are crystals I guess? They are uniformly placed across all of my leaves. When I look with a microscope I just see row upon row of what’s in my picture. I’m assuming a 120x scope should be sufficient to spot mites?

All my plants have the little white dots evenly placed across all leaves. Perhaps my camera is just really high detail?

Attachments

• A164717A-1201-4DE8-9A86-EEC1029DF49C.jpeg
    A164717A-1201-4DE8-9A86-EEC1029DF49C.jpeg
    394.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 98116200-E6EB-441B-9F8E-EEE4967A17A9.jpeg
    98116200-E6EB-441B-9F8E-EEE4967A17A9.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 123
Since reading the post. I’ve been checking multiple leafs. And I don’t see anything that looks like mites. I’ve checked front and back side.

I was just wondering because when my plants are dry and ready to drink (in 5 gallon pots) 6 quarts or 5.7 liters is just way it takes to get saturated. For me, a light flush in a 5 gallon pot would be about 9.5 liters with a full flush is considered 3x the pot capacity so 55-68 liters or 12-15 gallons. That's why I ask.
Anyways, that must be a great camera. I was able to see all of the "dots" on my phone lol.

Since reading the post. I’ve been checking multiple leafs. And I don’t see anything that looks like mites. I’ve checked front and back side.
Yeah, bottoms is usually where they are found but looking at your close up was clear it's not mites.

Phew! I was freaking out thinking they were even smaller then I thought. And I know they are small!

So I guess 7L water one time isn’t going to put them into an overwatered state then. So I’ll just keep an eye out for a few days for lower yellowing, before feeding when I go dry.

Thanks very much for your input! It’s much appreciated:)

Ps: reading your other posts. My definition of dry is when my smart pot is light as a pillow. I actually weigh them. Anything below 7.8lbs(my current threshold=700ml of total liquid left in 5gallons) means I need a watering. I’ve not had drooping or any other problems since enacting my weight strategy. Aside from this windburn incident.

Back
Top Bottom