Age old question: How often to feed and water?

Mnmmc

I looked through the forum and couldn't find a definitive answer on feeding and watering, no doubt it is probably here however searching the internet there are varying opinions and advice. My plants are doing good however may be a bit small for the time frame. When I water or feed I usually wait for run off and my feeding and watering depends on how dry the plants are and they are dried out usually before I water or feed about 3 days they get dry so I water then they get dry then I feed and repeat this process about every 3 days.
I saw a youtube video that says feed your plants 3 times a week some say once a week.

Thanks!

Strain - Sativa- Texada Timewarp
# of Plants - 20- about one month growth
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Vegetative
Bucket Size - 2 and 3 gallon
Lights - (2) 1200 Watts LEDs
Nutrients - Micro Bloom
Medium - Pro Mix H
RH - 50% to 55%
Room Temperature -78 to 84
Room Square Footage - 5' x 5' X 7
Pests - None Known

I’d guess it would very depending on medium then nutrients and then Nutrient strength of each feed. But I don’t do soil yet just hydro. Going to try promix in a couple weeks when it gets here to learn this process myself lol

Whew! thank you I knew it was something like that just didnt want to look to dumb asking haha

Since you are here I know reading a couple of your posts you setup self water thingys which i am planning on except more of a mist system to keep the leaves moist due to LEDs (at least thats what I was told they get dry) I am just doing it because its cool building something out of pvc tube
We all start somewhere so have you ever grown in soil? if so how often did you water and how often do you use nutrients?

Mnmmc: There is no set rule for watering except for Rule #1 which is: you water when your plant needs water. Don't listen to anyone who tells you exactly how and when to water your plant. Every plant is different and every grow room is different. Every 3 days for a full-size plant is probably about the norm. But you have to learn the weight of your pot when it's had a good drenching, versus it's weight when it needs a drenching, and also when it's just dry on the top few inches and you can add a litre or so. Enjoy your grow, and good luck.

Mnmmc: There is no set rule for watering except for Rule #1 which is: you water when your plant needs water. Don't listen to anyone who tells you exactly how and when to water your plant. Every plant is different and every grow room is different. Every 3 days for a full-size plant is probably about the norm. But you have to learn the weight of your pot when it's had a good drenching, versus it's weight when it needs a drenching, and also when it's just dry on the top few inches and you can add a litre or so. Enjoy your grow, and good luck.

Great advice I never heard of weighing a plant and makes sense :) thanks

Great advice I never heard of weighing a plant and makes sense :) thanks

I weigh my pots with medium filled and dry. And determine a dry weight. I use 5 gallon Smart pots. In my case that’s 6 lbs.So when I am checking, if it’s below 8lbs of weight, I water. If it’s over, I know I can go one more day. I use promix, so my strategy is based on that.

1lb of water is roughly 375ml.

Will use this idea myself thank you.

That should do you well! Takes the guesswork out of the equation. I also do excel spreadsheets to log it all. So I can look back and see what dates, weights, feed strength and water qtys etc that I’ve done. I can then correlate that, to the date of pics taken to see where I was at in any stage of the grow. Each grow I find myself looking back and fine tuning things. Works like a charm!

Bleeping yes, my man. You have got this approach nailed down not from 1 angle but capturing the past as well to further incorporate into future grows. :bravo:
your a scientist in my book bro.

I looked through the forum and couldn't find a definitive answer on feeding and watering, no doubt it is probably here however searching the internet there are varying opinions and advice. My plants are doing good however may be a bit small for the time frame. When I water or feed I usually wait for run off and my feeding and watering depends on how dry the plants are and they are dried out usually before I water or feed about 3 days they get dry so I water then they get dry then I feed and repeat this process about every 3 days.
I saw a youtube video that says feed your plants 3 times a week some say once a week.

Thanks!

Strain - Sativa- Texada Timewarp
# of Plants - 20- about one month growth
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Vegetative
Bucket Size - 2 and 3 gallon
Lights - (2) 1200 Watts LEDs
Nutrients - Micro Bloom
Medium - Pro Mix H
RH - 50% to 55%
Room Temperature -78 to 84
Room Square Footage - 5' x 5' X 7
Pests - None Known
Hi @Mnmmc and welcome to the forum! :welcome:
I find it humorous that you looked all through the forum and did not find my article that has been read over 150,000 times. I need to fire my advertising guy.

Please read how to properly water your plant, below in my signature lines you will find the link. I am betting that my method will clear up any questions you still have about how to water. As far as feeding goes, the tried and true method used in soil is to water and then feed, water and feed, alternating all through the grow. This lets you feed full strength nutes on one pass and then clean up the soil with a water only pass every other time so that few buildups occur. Using my methods usually results in feeding around 2 times a week, depending on how well you are maintaining the wet/dry cycle.

Good luck!

Hi @Mnmmc and welcome to the forum! :welcome:
I find it humorous that you looked all through the forum and did not find my article that has been read over 150,000 times. I need to fire my advertising guy.

Please read how to properly water your plant, below in my signature lines you will find the link. I am betting that my method will clear up any questions you still have about how to water. As far as feeding goes, the tried and true method used in soil is to water and then feed, water and feed, alternating all through the grow. This lets you feed full strength nutes on one pass and then clean up the soil with a water only pass every other time so that few buildups occur. Using my methods usually results in feeding around 2 times a week, depending on how well you are maintaining the wet/dry cycle.

Good luck!

Thank you! And yes fire the ad guy or it appears the meta tags or what not thingys in 420s website search engine does not correlate to key words typed in, I do find it funny that using a simple search in the forums like key words that I couldn't find yours.

That aside I do appreciate your input and the most gracious one at that and simple! I would assume you have answered this question about 150 thousand times hey ;)

Again thank you! :)
Speaking of watering take a look at what I found this morning by my RV and it's still cold outside

Attachments

• 20200512_090614.jpg
    20200512_090614.jpg
    682 KB · Views: 107
  • 20200512_090602.jpg
    20200512_090602.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 110
  • 20200512_090558.jpg
    20200512_090558.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 104
Back
Top Bottom