First CBD outside grow: Help & advice requested

fasttanoy

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of growing CBD for my wife.

Last year I moved house and as a result I am trying my first ever outside grow.

I have 5 plants which are all ACDC strain. They are currently 6 foot tall.

1624180205712.jpeg

I have been looking up light and temperature charts for my area and I have a concern, I hope people can share their advice:

The days begin to be 12 hours on September 25th:

1624181749092.png

From the info I have on the ACDC strain it takes 10 weeks to complete flowering.

This means that the plants may still be flowering in December. However at this time the temperature will be between 3 and -2 degrees:

1624181901281.png

So my concern is that this will be too cold for the plants to finish flowering healthily and with potent CBD. I have read online that plants should have between 20 and 30 degrees in flowering.

So I am worried!

One idea that I had was to move the plants in to a utility room I have attached to my house for 12 hours each day. It is completely dark in the utility room, however there is no air flow. So I am concerned that locking plants in a small room for 12 hours each day would also be unhealthy because of the lack of fresh air.

Another idea I had was to only put the plants in to the utility room for a few hours each day, coinciding with the nature night time hours, to start flowering a couple of months earlier. This may mean that the plants would get more fresh air, but it would also mean that I have to move them around in the pitch black.

So I am really not sure what to do.

Any advice or general thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

Hi all,

1624180205712.jpeg

I have been looking up light and temperature charts for my area and I have a concern, I hope people can share their advice:

1624181749092.png

From the info I have on the ACDC strain it takes 10 weeks to complete flowering.

This means that the plants may still be flowering in December. However at this time the temperature will be between 3 and -2 degrees:

1624181901281.png

So my concern is that this will be too cold for the plants to finish flowering healthily and with potent CBD. I have read online that plants should have between 20 and 30 degrees in flowering.

So I am worried!

One idea that I had was to move the plants in to a utility room I have attached to my house for 12 hours each day. It is completely dark in the utility room, however there is no air flow. So I am concerned that locking plants in a small room for 12 hours each day would also be unhealthy because of the lack of fresh air.

Another idea I had was to only put the plants in to the utility room for a few hours each day, coinciding with the nature night time hours, to start flowering a couple of months earlier. This may mean that the plants would get more fresh air, but it would also mean that I have to move them around in the pitch black.

Howdy do.
They look good..
Moving them indoors seems the best option.. moving them in and out is not really a good idea. They need to sit comfortably in their environment and it could stress them out.. is there no way you can run some flexible ducting into the utility room, just to exchange the air??

Thanks for the response and the nice compliant about the plants, I do try my best to take care of them :)

Moving indoors permanently is an option I am trying to avoid. I don't really have the money available to buy lights and a ventilation system. Plus we only rent the house, so making holes for the ventilation is not really possible.

Also I have done everything organically so far to try and get the best possible medicine. Organic soil, nutrients and sun :D I would like to keep it this way, but of course understand I may have to change the plan if they just won't survive by any other method.

No problem.
You are limited with your options.. those lower temperatures will definitely kill your plants. I've read about plants that have still produced in Temps of around 10°C, but I think that's the limit and pushing it. Can you not stick a poly tent over them with a parrafin/ kerosene heater in?

No problem.
You are limited with your options.. those lower temperatures will definitely kill your plants. I've read about plants that have still produced in Temps of around 10°C, but I think that's the limit and pushing it. Can you not stick a poly tent over them with a parrafin/ kerosene heater in?

Thank you for your reply.

You have given me a new idea. This is excellent news! Yes a poly tent and a heater does sounds possible and less expensive then completely moving inside.

I am not familiar with using a poly tent and a heater. Are you able to share any more information about these?

I think if I could somehow start flowering any time in July I should be okay. But perhaps I have even more chance with a heater.

If you are handy. You can make your own tent with a wooden frame and a roll of Medium density polyethylene sheet. In the UK, it would cost me less than £50 to build it. A kerosene heater can be picked up off eBay for £10. The extra CO2 the heater puts off will help your plants also. Just keep monitoring your temperatures. I've had tomatoes outside in the winter, in the green house with the heater. Green houses are more difficult to keep in the heat when it's cold. The glass is not much of an insulator, so it is possible..
Plus with a poly tent, you can cover it with a dark sheet to control your 12/12.. hope this helps.
I'm just trying to throw ideas into the pot

Hi all,

1624180205712.jpeg

1624181749092.png

1624181901281.png

So I am worried!

Hello @fasttanoy great garden.
What you have failed to take into consideration is that plant is smarter than you think.
She does not wait when grown outside.
They don't need 12 hrs darkness to start flowering outside.
As the suns rays get further away and shorter in length she can sence this.
She will start to flower when she thinks summer has past its peak giving her enough time to finish by late fall.
Pot has been growing in cold climates for a long time.
Without the ability to adapt they would have died without producing seeds. No seeds no plants next year. She wants to reproduce thats her main goal she will do her best to finish without manipulation.
Let them go when the time is right she will flower.
I hope your wife is doing well. You will have cbd for her in the fall. :Namaste:
Bill

Hello @fasttanoy great garden.
What you have failed to take into consideration is that plant is smarter than you think.
She does not wait when grown outside.
They don't need 12 hrs darkness to start flowering outside.
As the suns rays get further away and shorter in length she can sence this.
She will start to flower when she thinks summer has past its peak giving her enough time to finish by late fall.
Pot has been growing in cold climates for a long time.
Without the ability to adapt they would have died without producing seeds. No seeds no plants next year. She wants to reproduce thats her main goal she will do her best to finish without manipulation.
Let them go when the time is right she will flower.
I hope your wife is doing well. You will have cbd for her in the fall. :Namaste:
Bill

Thank you very much Bill for your response.

This is very very interesting. Perhaps this is a symptom of me having lots of experience indoors but none outside yet!

I am very used to switching the lights to a 12/12 cycle indoors. But since then we have moved house and my stock of CBD tincture is running out.

Perhaps I do not need to be concerned so much. I can wait and see, and then if the plants start to look unhealthy in the cold I can make a tent and use a heater as Squiggle suggested.

After gratefully receiving the above advice I have a look for outdoor tents.

I found this one which looks good: Fóliovník silná plachta Fuled 300 x 300 cm 9 m2

I do have one question though: the polyethylene cover blocks UV light. It is my understanding (back from purchasing indoor grow lights) that cannabis needs UV light in order to grow best.

So now I am not sure whether to use the tent or not.

Appreciate this question may be best for an entirely new thread! :D

Thanks all

After gratefully receiving the above advice I have a look for outdoor tents.

I found this one which looks good: Fóliovník silná plachta Fuled 300 x 300 cm 9 m2

I do have one question though: the polyethylene cover blocks UV light. It is my understanding (back from purchasing indoor grow lights) that cannabis needs UV light in order to grow best.

So now I am not sure whether to use the tent or not.

Appreciate this question may be best for an entirely new thread! :D

Thanks all
I had often wondered this and i believe it is a common misconception, that plants need UV. The PAR wavelengths a plant requires is betwwen 400nm and 700 nm. 400nm is in the blue end of the spectrum an is not really classed as UV-A, although it is still in the range of UV-A, which is 315 to 420 nm. So, a plant will still grow without UV, but UV can help in the production of resin; but it is still not essential

I have often wondered this and i believe it is a common misconception, that plants need UV. The PAR wavelengths a plant requires is betwwen 400nm and 700 nm. 400nm is in the blue end of the spectrum an is not classed as UV. So a plant will still grow without UV, but UV can help in the production of resin; but it is still not essential

Thanks Squiggle.

Interesting. Also my CBD plants are never that resinous also. But medicine is still effective.

Thanks Squiggle.

Interesting. Also my CBD plants are never that resinous also. But medicine is still effective.
I've grown a few CBD crosses and mine have been the same. They don't produce heavily. Plus the smell is complete different to a plant with high THC. These are just my observations from my own experience.

Thank you very much Bill for your response.

This is very very interesting. Perhaps this is a symptom of me having lots of experience indoors but none outside yet!

I am very used to switching the lights to a 12/12 cycle indoors. But since then we have moved house and my stock of CBD tincture is running out.

Perhaps I do not need to be concerned so much. I can wait and see, and then if the plants start to look unhealthy in the cold I can make a tent and use a heater as Squiggle suggested.
Let your ladies go in the sun.
When sunlight reaches a certain point of intensity the change triggers flowering.
Mine showed in August/ late July last time. Strain dependent. 14 hrs of sun.
Lots of time to flower before fall.
Bill

Thanks @Squiggle but hardly.
I'm still a rookie i learn something every time I read your stuff. :thumb:
Member of the month buddy.:love: You rock.
Bill
Thank you Bill. It means a lot. We both rock mate!
Yes, you might learn something from me, but none of it is right. So delete all that info from your brain. It is not helpful:rofl:

Back
Top Bottom