First Grow - Do they look healthy?

Legend

I think I may have overwatered my plants...I know it's a common mistake beginners make but you live and learn. I don't know for sure though so I was hoping if anyone on here can confirm. Thanks!

image_3_46.jpeg
image_2_63.jpeg
image4255.jpeg

It's not possible to tell from the pictures. If the containers are soaked, what matters is how quickly they dry out. If they are to remain soaked for a week then there will be problems.
Overwatering usually doesn't mean watering too much at one time. It means keeping the roots wet for too long, as in watering too often. It's not that they mind being soaked, it's just that they need oxygen as well, and for that they need drier periods.
Overwatering can mean soaking down a large container that just has a tiny plant in it, which is why it's a common problem in the early stages. The tiny plant won't have the root system to drink it's way through all the water before problems set in. On the other hand, a large plant in a small container could be watered very often and would have no problem sucking it all up. Some growing mediums, such as coco, don't retain enough water that overwatering is even possible.

Because your plants are small and delicate, and don't have a root system or foliage that can uptake the water and transpire it away- this is a time to baby them a little and watch the moisture level. It should be just moist, not wet.

If those cups are completely soaked and feel heavy, then yes they're in danger of being overwatered because the roots are going to be sitting in the mud for a week and will suffer. In this case- probably the best you can do is make a bunch more holes around the base of the cups. If the situation is very bad/wet make lots of holes- up the sides as well. This should be enough to do the trick, otherwise you can cut the cups away and pop them in drier ground if things are desperate enough...

Hope this makes sense/helps. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom