First Grow In Over 20 Years! Northern Lights Under 600W LED

Fleabay has electronic postal scales for under $10 delivered, but personally, I don't even use mine; a finger shoved into the dirt suffices and as long as your pots/soil drain well (I use fabric and FFOF), you have a rough idea what they weigh when dry when lifting and they are on wire racks, you shouldn't need to worry about waterlogging them.

Yes I agree, I don't want to spend the money even though I think it is a smart idea and by lifting and using a moisture meter I think I am watering when they are pretty much dry.

I was sad today to see that one of my girls is a little bit droopy and doesn’t look as happy as she did. I was reading that plants can droop when they are over watered but I didn’t think you could overwater with coco. I didn’t water her for almost a week until the container seemed completely dry then I watered about two days ago from the outside slowly over about a half an hour in stages until I got a little bit of runoff out of the drain holes.

I thought that would be what she would like but I also noticed that there are roots coming out of the drain holes so I’m thinking she needs to be transplanted and maybe that is causing the droop?

!cid_68dbab37-3939-4670-942b-da615683b23f@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg
Don't know if what you postulated is causing the "droop" but it certainly needs to be transplanted (those roots means it's ready) Most will tell you to let it dry enough so the soil ball will come out easy but I personally prefer splitting the cup lengthways into 3's (perhaps you can free the roots from the holes as well when splitting with scissors), digging a hole in your new container and then putting the whole thing in it and slipping the old cup pieces out gently.
I do this at the beginning (splitting the solo) and putting the split cup into another that has drain holes and putting my new seeds in it after they pop.
In fact, I even water about an hour prior to transplanting because I believe (likely mistakenly) that a nice moist root ball keeps the shock away by keeping the soil in with the roots instead of dropping away as it does when it's a little dry. That split solo cup removes easily even with moist soil and I've yet to see transfer shock like I do when transferring my tomatoes in the Spring.

Don't know if what you postulated is causing the "droop" but it certainly needs to be transplanted (those roots means it's ready) Most will tell you to let it dry enough so the soil ball will come out easy but I personally prefer splitting the cup lengthways into 3's (perhaps you can free the roots from the holes as well when splitting with scissors), digging a hole in your new container and then putting the whole thing in it and slipping the old cup pieces out gently.
I do this at the beginning (splitting the solo) and putting the split cup into another that has drain holes and putting my new seeds in it after they pop.
In fact, I even water about an hour prior to transplanting because I believe (likely mistakenly) that a nice moist root ball keeps the shock away by keeping the soil in with the roots instead of dropping away as it does when it's a little dry. That split solo cup removes easily even with moist soil and I've yet to see transfer shock like I do when transferring my tomatoes in the Spring.

Ya it's ready Homer... get her in a bigger pot now.

Thanks, guys, I will get them both in bigger pots tonight. I feel so proud; my girls are growing up!!! lol...

Good call guys; I had no idea these things would have such huge root systems already. I didn’t think I would be transplanting for another week.

!cid_68672199-82be-4244-b53c-a3a14001ac9a@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg
!cid_441c5aa0-3530-42b0-a58c-6a8746f8c6d2@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg

Here they are nice and cozy in their new fabric 5-gallon containers. Not expecting to have to transplant so soon I ran out of spring water and was wondering if it’s okay to use just tap water? I read that you only have to worry about chlorine when you are going organic because in coco you don’t have micronutrients for the chlorine to kill and it doesn’t really bother the plants. I have a couple gallons of tap water venting off so there would be less chlorine tomorrow or am I safe to use it now?

!cid_20cc0153-69f4-400d-b00a-9a91f76a1567@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg

WoWza nice roots ! They are white and healthy and definitely were ready for the transplant !
I would personally wait, the less chlorine the better! I use distilled water though so I can’t truly weigh in on if it would affect them or not!

Looks good homer !

Thanks Dutchman. Honestly, I would just be stumbling around in the dark if it wasn’t for all the help I’m getting on here so I really deserve the least of the credit but thanks.

There seems to be a lot of opinions on what kind of water to use but yes it does make sense to wait so maybe I will till tomorrow after it has been vented for a while. I know the weeds in my lawn sure don’t mind being watered with city chlorinated water, LOL. I would use distilled but it’s about a dollar a gallon and I can really see that adding up. Maybe I will I don’t know at this point. As I keep saying I’m trying to do this on a budget.

Using regular tap water is fine. It has some nutrients your plant will benefit from. Like all tap water you have PPM value, which you have to take into account when feeding your plants.
I let my water sit 48 hours minimum and stir it whenever I walk by the pails. For the most part I always use rain water and bring the buckets in to warm up.
Your tap water may run in the 8.0 pH range as well.

Just wait, when they hit puberty you'll be especially proud.

:rofl::laugh::rofl::laugh::rofl:as long as they don't get "pregnant"
Seriously, you will see them take off in their new home. @Homer Simpson good job

I have already got him on ignore so I have no idea what he is saying but there is only one idiot on this thread so I know exactly who it is. Just click on his Avatar on his post and in the box that comes up in the bottom middle will be an ignore button and if you hit that it’s like he doesn’t exist. But as Angrybird said, you and everyone should report him and hopefully they will ban him, before you ignore him because otherwise, you won’t be able to. There’s always one in every crowd. Despite how annoying he is it must really suck to be him because obviously he’s got some real serious issues and problems.

Using regular tap water is fine. It has some nutrients your plant will benefit from. Like all tap water you have PPM value, which you have to take into account when feeding your plants.
I let my water sit 48 hours minimum and stir it whenever I walk by the pails. For the most part I always use rain water and bring the buckets in to warm up.
Your tap water may run in the 8.0 pH range as well.

That is good news Sauga! :thumb:I will use tap water but let it air out for 48 hours minimum and get the pH down to 6 to 6.5 pH because I know mine is about 7.8 pH. Thank you again.:adore:

:rofl::laugh::rofl::laugh::rofl:as long as they don't get "pregnant"
Seriously, you will see them take off in their new home. @Homer Simpson good job

Thank you very much, Birdie! :high-five:I am so excited to see how they like their new home. If they do get pregnant I will be very disappointed!! lol...

Sry forgot that part, about the water and replant (I realised there is a link at the bottom stating show ignored content.. Was reading...)

Tap water is fine. Just let it settle like you do. :thumb:
They seem to love it in there. Wow they grow fast!

Tap water is fine. Just let it settle like you do. :thumb:
They seem to love it in there. Wow they grow fast!

That is great I will use tap water which will save a lot of money and effort. Yes they do seem pretty happy so far but it has been so long since I did any growing I am really not certain how fast they are supposed to grow but these are that size with roots like that after two weeks and five days from the start of germination.

Well... :laugh::rofl:it is called weed for a reason  You are doing a great job. Keep it up.

Yes it is!!! :laugh: Thanks and thanks for the help and good night, I am off to bed...

Seriously, you will see them take off in their new home.

You were certainly right Birdie; they have really taken off in their new home and seem very happy and healthy. They are three weeks and one day old from the first day of germination. They are just about ready to be topped and I am going to do it after the fourth set of leaves.
!cid_f9a6000c-cc81-496b-bd2d-0211a2879e7a@namprd22_prod_outlook.jpg

Back
Top Bottom