First Grow in Progress - Bubblebucket - Bag Seed

Chikagobnd

What's up? Well, I'm doing what most are told never to do, but I have started my first real grow and I'm going the hydro route. I've got a bubble bucket setup and I'm about 2 weeks in. As you'll see, some of my setup is less than practical and maybe unworkable...but while I certainly want to see a return in my time and effort, this has been more a hobby than anything else. I'm fully prepared for failure...but all is good so far. I'm using a 5 gallon bucket with a dual air pump with 1 1/2" airstones on each, plus another single line air pump with a 4" airstone disc. Perlite/Vermiculite medium mix in netpot. I successfully transplanted a bag seed that was soil grown, and was transplanted when it had two small sets of leaves. Transplant went well and plant has really taken off. Was on a strictly H20 diet for first 8 days and have now added GH nutes. I'm only at about 450ppm right now, but she(hopefully) seems to be loving it. PH is between 5.8-6. I will post some pics below of after 8 days in H20 and todays pics after 6 days of H20 & nutes. Oh, and I guess pretty important is my lighting...using a 400W metal halide with "cool" light bulb. My biggest problem and possibly my death nail, is that I live in a warm climate area and my setup is in my detached unairconditioned garage...so temps get quite high. From what I read, it looks like I can expect a root rot problem. But anyways, we'll see what happens....been floating around the boards for a while now reading all of your processes, progress & failures...its been really cool! I've got roots beginning to emerge from the bottom of the pot and they look good so far. I'll keep you updated. Any creative ways to cool the reservoir would be great...I bought a portable AC from Home Depot, but its kind of a POS, not very practical and takes up a lot of room in my fairly small space, so I'll probably be returning that. And now I see I can't yet add attachments to my posts, so the pics will have to wait for now I suppose. Any comments, suggestions or even flaming is welcome...I'm a big boy!

Yeah, I'm an idiot...got the pics now.
This is after 8 days in just H20
photo44.JPG

These 2 are 6 days later after 6 days of nutes added to H20
first-grow.211961

first grow - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

Hey Chik, took me a couple days to figure things out! :) Took me tons of tries to learn how to quote ! Quite humorous actually! Thankfully there are great people on this site, that will laugh with you, cry with you, or teach you! Wonderful place to be!
Will be checking in!!

Thanks Tmac, I really appreciate it! Everyone here does seem great! Let me get a question in while I"m at it. I have some very faint yellow in a few leaves...i mean, really really faint, but enough to notice. I have my 400W MH about 40 inches from the plant. Kept it higher earlier in the grow to get it acclimated...would I be better served to begin moving it lower? I'm 15 days in with 4 sets of nice sized leaves. I'm also running at about 450ppm...should I bump that up as well...I've been trying to be conservative on the nutes at the start, but would it be wise to begin to increase that? Anyways, thanks in advance for any help!

Thanks Tmac, I really appreciate it! Everyone here does seem great! Let me get a question in while I"m at it. I have some very faint yellow in a few leaves...i mean, really really faint, but enough to notice. I have my 400W MH about 40 inches from the plant. Kept it higher earlier in the grow to get it acclimated...would I be better served to begin moving it lower? I'm 15 days in with 4 sets of nice sized leaves. I'm also running at about 450ppm...should I bump that up as well...I've been trying to be conservative on the nutes at the start, but would it be wise to begin to increase that? Anyways, thanks in advance for any help!

I am no expert, but I was running my 400w only 8 inches over the tops of the plants on their second set of real leaves. You would have to go closer than 6 inches for light toxicity, so it really boils down to heat.

I am no expert, but I was running my 400w only 8 inches over the tops of the plants on their second set of real leaves. You would have to go closer than 6 inches for light toxicity, so it really boils down to heat.

Alright, well that certainly makes me think I should begin to lower them considerably. Should I do it incrementally or just all at once?

Chik, One thing that really helps alot with question is if you can post a picture. I had some trouble with it at first, but ready the tutorial (link in my signature below). Also make sure you have the gallery open in one window and the message box open in another. So you can copy and paste the image address. Also that might be a question you should open in another forum for maximim exposure. :)

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Sending you lots of positive energy through the Universe.

Back
Top Bottom