First grow - Problem with one plant

Your water does seem to be very hard. Do you happen to know the analysis of your water? I'm able to go to my cities website and they publish quarterly water analysis reports. Also HomeDepot is offering free water analysis - I'm sure to sell you a filtration system...

With that high of a water I would probably get RO water from grocery store instead of distilled. Distilled will have no nutrients at all. I just teste my distilled water and it reads 013.

I use city water. I live in the middle of Silicon Valley and in my particular area I our water is mixture from the Hetch Hetchy reservoir just outside of Yosemite and San Francisco Public Water Supply. The good thing is that quarterly they send out a report on the quality of the water with a detailed breakdown of all the trace elements. The problem is I never know which source the water is coming from on a daily or weekly basis or if it is blended.

I can generally tell by the PPM the source of the water.

I started off using distilled water for a couple months. Then I switched over to our local water after reading the report online and have been using it for a month now with no issues. I usually run the water cold for a couple minutes. Once I have my containers filled I leave them unopened so the can out gas. My water PH out of the faucet is 6.5 without any nutrients added. Plants seem to do fine with the city water.

I started off using distilled water for a couple months. Then I switched over to our local water after reading the report online and have been using it for a month now with no issues. I usually run the water cold for a couple minutes. Once I have my containers filled I leave them unopened so the can out gas. My water PH out of the faucet is 6.5 without any nutrients added. Plants seem to do fine with the city water.

If they like it keep it up. My city water is about the same PH and have no problem with it even when I don't wait for the Chlorine to evaporate off of them. The good thing about heavier PPT in city water is most of the time it is heavy in calcium and often magnesium.

Well I'm going to run distilled until my run off EC gets better then I'll revisit if I need to use RO or my own water. If it's my water I am going to use I am certainly going to save a lot on nutrients. I have an RO system picked out for a little less than 200 bucks so we will see. The only thing weighing on my mind right now is the quality of the flush.

Hello , I am not sure of your problem as I am not sure of your soil brand or type but I have been using a pro mix organic soil and I find that when the plants were in veg all was good when they went to flower (2 weeks in ) all went to hell , yellowing tip burn etc , what I am finding is these organic soils change their ph as they get older and it seems to be stronger , my run off water ph was 6.6 and now it is almost 8.0 , and yet I have never given any of the plants a drop of any nutrients as they were looking great, also ppm went up by 140 ppm`s over what is was , not sure how to deal with this but it may be your problem if you are using organic soil and the high ppm`s you have .I have always used the same brand of distilled water and ph `d it to 6.5 and my ppm`s were 0 on the jug of water , I was feeding 4 litres at a time in 10 gallon air pots , just a fyi

Hello , I am not sure of your problem as I am not sure of your soil brand or type but I have been using a pro mix organic soil and I find that when the plants were in veg all was good when they went to flower (2 weeks in ) all went to hell , yellowing tip burn etc , what I am finding is these organic soils change their ph as they get older and it seems to be stronger , my run off water ph was 6.6 and now it is almost 8.0 , and yet I have never given any of the plants a drop of any nutrients as they were looking great, also ppm went up by 140 ppm`s over what is was , not sure how to deal with this but it may be your problem if you are using organic soil and the high ppm`s you have .I have always used the same brand of distilled water and ph `d it to 6.5 and my ppm`s were 0 on the jug of water , I was feeding 4 litres at a time in 10 gallon air pots , just a fyi

Good point, I did check the PH and it had stayed at about 6.5 which is what I normally get out of my well.

So here is the current state of affairs. The smart pots are inside plastic mortar tubs and I noticed that the bottoms of the tubs were coated in nutrient residue that even had tiny salt crystals. I watered with distilled water till the point of runoff and then flushed with an additional gallon. Then I agitated the water to disturb the settled nutrients and sucked out the water with a wet/dry vac. The truthband is doing great and the bubblegum is still struggling with all the salts trapped in the soil from 2 months of overfeeding. I will recheck the EC of the runoff after 3 days.

Sounds like the right thing to do. For heavy salt build up I usually move the plant outside or to a bathtub and give it a really strong flush ... wait an hour to let some salts dissolve and then do a flush again (about 300% of the post capacity).

I'm going to need to just flush with my tap water at .5 EC, there's no way I can afford to keep doing it with distilled water and my run off EC is still 9.8

Go for it Honeybeeguy. I use tap 100% of the time. I try to put it out a day before use to evaporate off the chlorine but often water straight from the tap. BTW if it's good enough for me, my lawn and out door plants I'm sure it is ok for my indoor plants. For me the tap water contain Calcium and Magnesium which the plants enjoy.

I think it was so high because I was using a feeding table instead of a meter and I was under watering causing the nutrients to get locked into the soil. All was well til my plants really started to get big and then when I was giving them lots of water the nutrients came out and I realized the issue.

This is a minor set back because this is day one week 3 flower but I'm glad I caught it before it ruined my crop.

Your doing the right thing. I have found that plants do really well regardless of what we do them until they get into bloom and then they are much more finicky.

Correcting now will give you a wonderful harvest.

The photos aren't coming through. From what I understand is If you create an Album it is automatically set to private and you have to change to public when you first create the album. After that it can't be changed to public.

Back
Top Bottom