First Indoor Grow

blueneon007

Hi,

Well this is my first indoor grow (and journal).

I've done a few outdoors so I'm not a complete noob, but indoor, as I've found is a lot more involved :p hehe. This is a small setup but keep in mind the yields will be purely for personal use so I do not need truck loads.

So here goes my first attempt...

[17/09/11]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cabinet: Size: 1.8ft (L) X 1.8ft (W) X 2.3ft (H)

Note: Due to the obvious short cabinet height, I cut a hole in the bottom and my reservoir sits in that hole so that the top of the reservoir starts almost level with the actual bottom of the cabinet. This means I have 2ft for growth height (2.3ft minus lights at max UP position and small part of res sticking up from floor level gives approx just over 2ft from net pot to max height).

Lights (all CFL's) - Currently running on 18/6:

2 x 45W (2500lm each) 4000K
6 x 20W (1250lm each) 6500K
2 x 18W (1040lm each) 6500K
2 x 20W (1350lm each) 2700K

This gives a mixed color spectrum and will be used for both veg and bloom.

Total actual CFL wattage = 286W
Total lumens provided = 17,280lm
Lumens per square ft = 5333lm

Reflector has been custom made using flood light reflectors designed for CFL but removed from casings and stuck together to accommodate more light fittings etc.

Lights are currently kept about 1.5-2" from seedlings

Air Circulation:

1 X PC Chassis Fan for inlet
1 X PC Chassis Fan for outlet
1 X PC Chassis Fan Just moving air around the cab

Cabinet Reflection:

Entire cabinet is lined using car windshield sun reflector (basically mylar).

Hydro System (DWC):

Res size: 28L tote (using about 16-18L of actual solution)
- Res is covered in white duct tape to assist with light reflection
- Four holes in the top in which I have four net pots inserted

Net pots: Contain rockwool cubes holding newly transplanted seedlings and the cubes are surrounded by Hydroton (with about 2-3cm of Hydroton covering bottom of pot also).

Air: Using 1 X Maxima-R (2 outputs - 3L/min) connected to two aquarium style 15cm blue airstones. Plus 1 X (not sure of brand name but outputs 10L/min) 4 outputs connected to four 10cm ceramic airstones. Plus one more small little pump just connected to the other hoses to add a little extra.

Nutes:

Using GH Flora Series (Grow, Micro, Bloom)

170911_Hydro-Setup.jpg
170911_Hydro_Transfer.jpg
170911_L1.jpg
170911_L2.jpg

[18/09/2011]
Ok so the transplanted seedlings have been under the "high raised" lights for a day and should be ok to lower the lights now. Lights have been put down to about 2" (oh and I removed the old soil potted plant from the cab)

DSC03651.JPG

[19/09/2011]
Initial solution (added on 17th) I mixed up using the GH recommended dosages (5ml Grow, 5ml Micro, 5ml Bloom)... I then saw the Lucas Formula online and from next week will be using 0-5-10 / 4lt each week from here on.

[25/09/11]
Because these are still seedlings and freshly transplanted, I "phased" the nutes in slowly during the first week using PH corrected water of course.

18L Solution:=
Using GH Flora Series

Day 1: 5ml Grow + 5ml Bloom
Day 2: 5ml Micro
Day 3: 5ml Micro + 10ml Bloom
Day 4: 5ml Micro + 10ml Bloom
Day 5: 10ml Bloom
Day 6: 5ml Micro + 5ml Bloom
Day 7: Nothing.

This equates to a total provided nutes phased in during week 1:
5ml Grow + 20ml Micro + 40ml Bloom

The 5ml of Grow was added before I found the Lucas Formula (thus no more was added after that).

The 20ml Micro + 40ml Bloom is the ratio (0-5-10, I'm using CFLs) required for 18L (roughly 4.5gal) solution as per Lucas Formula (which I will be using from here on).

The issue I currently have is that I do not own a TDS meter (have ordered one, but it will take a few weeks to arrive).

I am not sure if tomorrow (day 1 of week two) I should simply go ahead and add a full 20ml Micro + 40ml Bloom per the Lucas Formula (once a week)...

Considering that 1. I phased in the first week (so nutes were still added as of yesterday) and 2. I don't have a TDS meter and so I have no clue what my PPM currently is and these are also newly transplanted seedlings (dont want to kill them).

Do I just go ahead and add the 20ml Micro + 40ml Bloom tomorrow, do I rather give the plants a week off, or do I use less nute?

*sigh* confused as to how to proceed!

[26/09/11]

Opted to just go ahead and add the full dose today as per Lucas Formula.

So I added 20ml M and 40ml B

[28/09/11]

It was a VERY hot day outside today and temps were hovering around 30C in the cab, I thought maybe the reflective material I use on the walls of the cab were also lending to heat and removed that, the walls are white anyway, so that should be fine.

[29/09/11]

Ok so I've been noticing for a while now, pretty much been ongoing that the very very tips of the leafs have been yellowing. I thought this was due to the lights being a bit too hot and/or humidity being too low (been struggling to keep RH above 30% - added bowls, towels etc, nothing really seems to do the trick). Anyway, the plants had sort of bounced back and I attributed the slow growth and tip browning to the transplant stress....

But today I see they are visibly not looking their best and its worrying...

Now the edges and tips are browning and when I read up it could be a whole number of reasons...

1. Nute burn
2. Heat stress / low RH
3. P deficiency (which is in direct conflict with #1.)
4. Or even "windburn" from the fans... though I doubt this.

Anyway, take a look, see what you guys think?

290911_SickL1.JPG
290911_Sick2L1.JPG
290911_SickL2.JPG

It looks like nute burn to me, but 86F is pretty hot. What are your res temps? Seems early for P deficiency. When do you think your TDS meter will arrive? Also, foliar spraying with the lights on will cause hot spots on the leaves.

It looks like nute burn to me, but 86F is pretty hot. What are your res temps? Seems early for P deficiency. When do you think your TDS meter will arrive? Also, foliar spraying with the lights on will cause hot spots on the leaves.

Hi awmartian,

The res temp is about 63-65F so that's ok, the temp in the grow room (in which the cabinet is in) is quite hot because it's summer here with outside temps about 85F and since I do not have an A/C there isnt really much I can do about that :(

I got the TDS meter on EBay, but only after buying did I realise that it would be shipped using USPS :( Apparently can take 30 days to get to me, was shipped a week ago ... I'm, praying my poor plants can survive on guess work till then.

I have been spraying daily with the lights on (because of the heat)... so guilty as charged! You think it may simply be that?

If indeed it is nute burn.... what could I do in order to ease that up a little? Just mix up say 3L of PH 5.5 water and add to the res (thereby diluting the solution a bit)? But then what if it is P def? I read that P is used ALOT during early growth and that signs of def are tips/edges yellowing.

So I'm seriously confused, if its nute burn and I add more nute I kill em, if its P def and I dilute further I kill em. Lol, what to do what to do.

Is this grow still alive?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom