First outdoor grow

I dont wet the hole first before planting. I plant (make sure you break up the root ball some) after I plant I drench each with about a gal. of water then plant the next. I water right after I plant each.
When I sprout seeds Ive found its better to we the dirt BEFORE I plant the sprouts in the cup.

20160605_125533.jpg

They have been in the ground a week now and are growing tall. I topped them today. It has been dry all week then rained all day yesterday.

Can I ask what the light colored powder is on top of your soil? I'm doing my first ever grow outside and will be planting probably three weeks from now.
That my friend is sand. The soil here is very sandy which just so happens to help keep the soil from packing too tightly and also helps drain. Originally I had tilled the soil very well and it had a very rich dark color to it but after a couple of good rain showers the dirt dissolves and settles down and leaves a thin layer of mostly sand at the top.

Ah, ok sand it is. I was thinking some sort of powder for insects. My soil is very heavy. I'm not sure how well things will go for me, I'm afraid of drowning my plants if we get too much rain. I was going to add a mix of store bought soil and potting soil. I'll mix those then sort of mix in some of my heavy dirt. I was actually considering putting some sand below my plants to encourage drainage.

Ah, ok sand it is. I was thinking some sort of powder for insects. My soil is very heavy. I'm not sure how well things will go for me, I'm afraid of drowning my plants if we get too much rain. I was going to add a mix of store bought soil and potting soil. I'll mix those then sort of mix in some of my heavy dirt. I was actually considering putting some sand below my plants to encourage drainage.
Sand helps and so does perlite.

Wow they grew fast!!! good job man their probably busy building those roots and will fill out when they feel nice and comfortable.
They are in open ground too so those roots should have plenty of room to spread. And the tallest one is about waist high now. I topped most of them and tried fimming 1 just so I could see a side by side comparison.

I did a side by side with fiber pots and solo cups I sprouted some Aster flowers in jiffy starters then put three in solo cups and three in jiffy pots and in three days the jiffy pot ones died and the solo cup ones grew great. I tried everything to keep them alive as well

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using 420

Oh no, I just planted 5 WW in the same pots, and things were going so good.

Hey there Cannanewb they start out fine in those pots I think its when the roots start making contact with them that they start having problems. Are you going to start a journal I would like to see what you got going and follow along.

Back
Top Bottom