First time grower, can someone tell me whats going on here??

malinjj

Ok, Here's what I've done so far.

All these plants were started at the same time.

10/23 Started germination.

10/25 Planted rooted seeds in root cubes.

Here's where things get strange.
10/31
By the end of the day 3 of them were like this.

ForSale058.jpg

This one was straight up this morning when I turned on the lights, 9 hours later it's like this.

I know this is a cheap setup, but I have some stuff on order to do it right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Here's a pic of the setup.
I'm only using 1 CFL at the moment and it's set about 4" above the tops of the plants.

ForSale0521.jpg

Joe

Well since you have them in a DWC I would say its due to over watering. You have to let them breath a bit by draining the water for a few. Do you have a top to that container? Cut wholes in it to fit the cups in them so that the lips of the cups will catch on the rim of the lid so that the bottom of the cups will just hang in the water about less then a inch.

You should just need a box cutter or razer blade to cut the wholes out

By the way welcome to 420 and your doing good so far:thumb:

How far away is your light and what kind of light is it. They look like they could be stretching .... trying to get more light. But, since I have never grown from seed ..... I can't say for sure.

High man

U a first timer grower?.. If so hydroponic is gonna be a hard way to learn..

as mentioned u have to let u medium dry a bit so that roots can get some air.. but not so much that they dry out!

2. what kinda water are u feeding them? looks like u PH is out of ballance or maybe they need fertilizers..

3. I Think u are giving them to little light.. looks like expensive seeds.. so maybe give them some propper light 6400 kelvin for veggetiv grow. How many watts are ur lights running now?

Thanks for the input, I'm gonna try to lift the containers.

At the moment I'm only using 1 CFL light.

I also am just using plain bottled water, no nuits at the moment. Any ideas or other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

1. bottled water is fine but its more alkaline, so that would mean your PH may be around 7.0 or a little higher. You will need to get a PH meter and also PH up & PH down to adjust your water to around 5.8 6.5. Stay inbetween those numbers. If you can get it right on the nose at 5.8 is great.

2. Pick you up some "thrive alive" or "super thrive". Thrive Alive is cheaper. Its a B-1 vitamin great for root growth. Also get "hygrozyme". These will help with roots stimulant and it provides over 88 trace minerals and vitamins etc. Later on I say about 2-3weeks you will need to add nutrients. So if your going organic or chemical you will need to choose before you pick a good nute line. GH is where you may want to start. That are Fox Farms. Fox Farms will burn your plants if your not careful so you will need to do alot of reading up on using the stuff. Very simple once you get the hang of it.

3. Lights are the most important when it comes to growing. If you like to go with CFL you will need to get either the 200w or 150w. Which ever you choose depending on your budget. If you choose to go with the 23w CFLs make sure there 6500k and atleast 1400-1600 lumens. Look on the back of the package to make sure before you buy them. You will need atleast 6-8 of them for your 4 plants to get good enough light.

All depending on your budget I would suggest a "2ft T5 HO 4bulb" They run from 80-100 bucks online. If you want that go to home depot.com they are 213w and 22,000 lumens. Great for veg. And you will be able to flower with it also if you buy the bloom bulbs. They will sell these at your local hydro store for 8-14 bucks a bulb. Great beginner lamp to go with.

Now if you want to go big boy then theres the HID 250w-1000w HPS for flowering. Of course you will need a ballast, digital or magnetic. Those will cost you depending on where you get it from. Also this is something to think about depending on whos paying the electric bill. I would suggest a 400w since you only have 4 plants and then depending on the space you tend to use.

Didnt mean to cram all of this in on you but just want to get everything like the basic across to you, so you wont make future mistakes because you have some good strains there. :thumb:

PS Doing your homework on growing will give you a better insight on what and how you want to grow. Take pointers from other growers on 420. Check out the Growers Journals and see if there are hydro growers set up they you may like and ask them for info. 420 members are very helpful. I will give you a good hydro growers link here ----->>>>> Xlr8's Quest For The Best - 2012

Thanks for all the replys and tips, you guys are great!!!! Thank you

WOW, I thought I had a handle on most of this. I've been reading DIY, How-To's, etc, etc for 3 months. Boy was I wrong!!!! LOL

I want to go hydro, but the right way. WizHigh (thanks for all your help), out of the DIY systems which one do you think would be best for a first timer? I'm working on my order tonight. I was going to get a bottle of FoxFarm Grow Big is that ok or should I get Thrive Alive? Also is there a PH meter that won't break the bank?

Thanks for all the replys and tips, you guys are great!!!! Thank you

WOW, I thought I had a handle on most of this. I've been reading DIY, How-To's, etc, etc for 3 months. Boy was I wrong!!!! LOL

I want to go hydro, but the right way. WizHigh (thanks for all your help), out of the DIY systems which one do you think would be best for a first timer? I'm working on my order tonight. I was going to get a bottle of FoxFarm Grow Big is that ok or should I get Thrive Alive? Also is there a PH meter that won't break the bank?

The easiest hydro system to use is a DWC. That consist of pretty much what you have now. I would just look up a DIY DWC in the DIY forum as you been doing so already. If you checked out that link I got for you above you can ask that guy question and check out his set up. Here is a video on how to build a DWC you can browse threw others to see what you may like better
[video=youtube;JwgaPnCUiFo]
[/video]

As for the nutes Fox Farm Grow Big is only for vegetative state. You will need Fox Farm Big Bloom also for flowering. Thrive alive is an option, but most use it. But you can get a gallon bottle of liquid B-1 from homedepot.com for $6.00. Its the same as thrive alive.

As for a PH meter there are some that start at $50. But you can also get the PH drops which are $28 and it comes with PH UP & DOWN

At this point i wouldnt add anything, seedlings are too young. the probs u are having is due to light not intense enough or too far away. get that cfl just about touching them. U really dont want them stretching any more. U need to let the rockwool dry out a bit, its no good keeping it wet all the time, u'll get root rot and drown plant basically. I would empy res and sit in there with light on until drie a little then just dip in a res until roots appear through net pots. Then u need a gap between net pot and nutrient of at least 6inches preverably more. The mist creatd by the bubbles will reach the roots and keep the rockwool dry. Dont add nutes until first set of real leaves are there. Add at 1/4 strength. Just a basic hydro grow nute, ad touch super thrive and cannazyme or guardian preferably both.

Use a cocktail stick and a bag tie or string to hold it upright and get a gentle fan on them.

Oh and clear pots is a huge no no. light will create algae growth. u need a tub that wont let light through and pots need to be in complete darkness below the rim...

Cultivator I was looking for you all over forums yesterday but couldnt find ya. lol I was thinking you wouild be alot of help on here since this Malinjj is doing DWC. I could only think of X at the time because I am subbed in his journal. But yea incase I run into helping anyone else on 420 that has DWC or hydro questions ill just add you as a friend that way its easier to find you lol. Great to see you found this forum though, :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom