First Timer - Need feedback for RDWC plan

The Chemist

420 Member
I'm a first timer and plan on DWC for my grow. I won't be able to access my grow space on a regular basis(every 7-12 days), and need my res to be a true res that I wouldn't have to top off as frequently. I WILL be able to remote monitor my grow space. Question is, will the setup in the drawing work? Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks !!
Hydro_layout_1.png

Ok, 1st off, it's a lot harder to maintain equal levels of water when you're draining from the tub that has an actual plant in it via pump and pumping out to the other buckets. This is why most people will have a separate reservoir that GRAVITY feeds the entire system. Then a downsized line from the furthest point away from the main res drains into a pump that pumps back into the top of the main res. Completing this creates a gravity feed that maintains level in the other buckets.

Next and probably something that really should not be overlooked at all is the 7-12 days away. Without a larger reservoir you would have massive fluctuation in water levels. As the water transpires out through the leaves you in turn will see the PPM of the nutrient mix go up. In my 15gal & my 20 gal systems if I go 2 days without topping off with zero ppm reverse osmosis water and take a reading I will see 200ppm minimum increase more than what I originally put in the system. That's because the nutrient has concentrated.

7-12 days away just seems forever. Especially for a first timer. It needs to be a pretty dead on automated system to handle the ppm, ph, water levels, etc.

But hey with 20 gal buckets you'll be able to grow some massive roots and trees! Vertical lighting, 3 plants set up in a triangle, four 1k bulbs, or 8 if stacking 2-high, and 12 foot ceiling. Ya man I can see 24oz + plants or more there!

Thanks for the feedback !! I was wondering why most RDWC's were set up the way you describe...now I know. You also answered another question I had concerning the concentration of nutes over time. Knew they would, just not how fast.

You are also spot on as far as the 7-12 days is concerned..that will end up being my biggest issue, however, that would be the MAX amount of time between visits (and I am REALLY comfortable with automated/in-line chem monitoring systems, it's what I do for a living).

The good thing is that there is tons of experience on this site to tap into, and if there is one thing I've learned in life, it's that if someone knows more than you about something, LEARN FROM THEM. Was hoping to do RWDC, but if there is a different method that you think might be better to go with, I'm all ears. Again, thank you, and all the other good people at 420.

ok, so now that you're a little more familiar, and you do what you do for a living, let add to my previous.

If you now add a second main res, larger even than the first, and run a direct line from it to the main with a float valve. You could run straight ro water in that res. It would only feed when the water dips, as a top off. You still have a pump recirculating the rest of the system. And you can still have your in-line chem monitoring system in place.

Now you have something.

My 4 bucket, and my 3 bucket (both +1 res) require daily top offs in flower and depending on the period of veg less so. In flower period I commonly top off with straight ro water 5-6 gallons per day.

The way I was taught to feed nutrient:

Mark res bucket with a top fill line. Daily top off with just ro water to the line. Allow time to mix with the nutrient water (I give it an hour min). Now take a sample and check ppm with your meter. If after 3 days your ppm has dropped more than 60 ppm, add nutrient. If ppm has not dropped 60 ppm, I'm feeding them too hot and need to let the nutrient levels (ppm) drop some.

For each phase of growing I have a rough area or range I want the ppm at to start. The plants will tell me what they want after that. Point being to never take ppm reading before topping off with plain ro water so I don't get a concentrated reading.

Does that answer your question harry potted?

Welcome to 420mag too btw.

Back
Top Bottom