How often do you change your reservoir?

iamoni

I'm planning on growning 5 plants on a 2x2 space. If I make a res with 36"x36"x6" res that would amount up to 33 gallons of water. Having the fact that a bigger res means lesser water changes as it is more stable and makes a better choice. But I'm thinking if 5 gallons would be ok.
I've read guys that don't change their res. Some change it only once when changing to flowering stage.
some suggest to change it only after 4 weeks so that benefial microbes can grow.
I'm planning on using chemical nutes as this would be a DWC system, but would like the idea of letting bennies thrive to avoid bad bacteria from growing. :D
What I've read through the internet are these: bigger res means lesser changes, nute consumption increases during the blooming stage.
So guys, If I would be setting up a dwc system on a 2'x2' space growing 5 plants. How big should be my res?

I run a DWC setup with x2 plants and I use a 5gal tub with two airstones at the bottom. I change my res every 7days to keep it clean. I'm using Cyco Nutrients with it so there is no organic matter in it...alot of people make the mistake of battling with beneficial microbes like they would in a soil-based grow but this will backfire in a number of ways. In short, you don't want anything living in your DWC res. In any event, you'll have to change your res regardless as evaporation is inevitable. I personally, top off the res throughout the week with PH'd water. As the week goes on, the nutes get weaker...by the time I change my res, the plants are ready for a full feeding. Works great!
Good luck
CHEERS!

Hey guys,
I'm starting to plan out my res and dwc as well. I have a 50L reservoir (approx. 13gal) I want to use 3" net pots and growing in a 2'x3'x6' space with a led light and wondering if I can get away with having 6 plants or should I stick with 5?

I was doing every seven days but man I was using tons of nutes. I have a 14 gal system and I have tested changing as long as every 2 weeks and don't see any marked change. I did go past 2 weeks once and noticed a change and started getting fungus and mildew. My system does leak some (helps with my humidity level :) ) and evaporate so I ad about 5 gals a week of ppm and PH correct water. I also add nutes occasionally to keep my ppm up so with those 2 things I always stay 5.2-5.9 PH and 1100 ppm and my plants are going crazy! I have hard water so I start at 200 ppm so I ad that to the 900 I want for veg. I also use advanced nutrient which makes my PH always a perfect 5.7 I ph up and down a tad so it will fluctuate some.

My RDWC system holds roughly 20 gals. In flower I change out after week 1 transition period. Then I run for 2 weeks, adding ro water daily and adjusting nutes based on e.c readings after top offs. I then change out again, based on going to wild growth bloom schedule (Blue Planet Nutrients schedule). After that, it's about 5 weeks to finish and I dont drain/replenish. I just daily replenish with ro water, adjust ph, adjust e.c., and let em go.

I am using a chiller and recirculating. This does make a difference from regular DWC.

When the harvest is over I drain, re-fill with bleached water, run for 3-4 hours, then drain. Fill again with tap water, run for an hour, drain. I fill again 1-2 more times to flush out the bleach. Then drain completely, clean out each bucket, then fill with transition nutes again for my veg girls that are ready to go into 12/12 transition.

My routine isn't suggested. But I get away with it and I think it's because of the chiller and they are only in there during flowering period and I have my mix down pretty pat. Previously I changed out weekly-10 days.

I usually change it on average every 2 weeks. That changes a bit, like at the beginning while in veg I am not too strict on it but during flowering I nay do it as often as once a week depending.

running 6 5 gallon buckets and an 8 gallon control bucket with water farm drippers i
n each pail and the controller / about 23-25 gallons , I clean & empty the system @ harvest , then empty and refill only once during during flower 3rd or 4th week of 12/12 . unless i see somethings going bad . There is alot of $ in nuits getting dumped down a drain other wise . I pay very close attention to temps both water and air and keep the hydroton covered as best as i can keeping light from getting algae growing . I add air stones to each pail also for the 5 or so weeks of flower the stones and farm drip rings run 24/7 . I also run 50-60 day strains for the most part , thru the years it has worked very well for me once i was thru tuning/dialing it in .

yea you guys all change alot more then me . i go almost a month with just topping up my 5 gallon pales with water and nutes when needed . if things smell bad ill change the whole res . if the water wont hold a 5.5-6.5 ph or if the ppms start going up . 1 week of just water when i go from veg to bloom . in flower it takes less time for the res to go bad probably around 2 weeks . no sense in wasting expensive nutes .

Change it once a week, although I don't need to because the secret to a clean Rez is 2ml bleach every feeding ;). By adding a residual amount of bleach at all times no bacteria will ever grow. And this isn't harmful for the plants. I use a 5 gal cooler with two plants and two airstones. No algae since I started using bleach. I tried everything. My water was always below 70.

None the less adding bleach every two days is the secret to a sterile dwc unit. H202 ain't that effective. Like I thought it was.

I do not suggest using bleach in your res unless its for cleaning purposes only. Bleach is not good for the plants and will actually stunt growth and bud size. Besides that the plants will actually uptake the bleach and do you really want to smoke that? Better way to go is to use the zone which can be had by Corey at BPN or Dutch masters. Keeps the system sterile and also promotes healthy root growth.

I am interested in your perspectives on this.

The latest research indicates that Cl is a micro-nutrient. Here is one of many papers that have been written about the experiments proving this: https://ucce.ucdavis.edu/files/repositoryfiles/ca1009p10-64551.pdf

If you live in the country, and use well water - then you are getting zero Chlorine in the water. Under these circumstances - don't you think that Cl should be added in the right concentrations (it doesn't take much - I agree).

Also, from what I have read, very little Cl will pass thru an R/O water filter. Which means anyone using an R/O water filter could also be affected - even if they start out with city water.

So, Cl (which is the active ingredient in bleach) is actually good for plants - unless you overdo it.

I would appreciate any comments you have on this research and it's conclusions.

I do not suggest using bleach in your res unless its for cleaning purposes only. Bleach is not good for the plants and will actually stunt growth and bud size. Besides that the plants will actually uptake the bleach and do you really want to smoke that? Better way to go is to use the zone which can be had by Corey at BPN or Dutch masters. Keeps the system sterile and also promotes healthy root growth.

Your killing all your benifical bacteria by doing this as well . Ive never tried adding it but then again ive never needed too . I never get algae build up of any kind and for the most part i always have healthy roots .maybe slightly over nuted and sometimes i suffer from root rot as i dont run chillers as i know alot of people do. Additives like piranha are simply benefical bacteria , if your running anything similar then adding bleach your just waisting ur money :(.

Your killing all your benifical bacteria by doing this as well . Ive never tried adding it but then again ive never needed too

There are two different levels here...

It takes approximately 2 to 10 ppm of chlorine to be beneficial to plants... but a concentration of 200 ppm is required to kill bacteria / fungus / and etc.

So the level which has proven beneficial to plants, is not sufficient to cause damage to the bennies... at least from the information that I could find.

And potassium chloride would be better than using bleach... I do realize this.

I run a sterile unit, using botanicare KIND series. State of the art balance formula. I just added 1 ml to my 5 gallon. 8% strength. The results are so apparent that I think even 1ml per 5 gallons every 2 days is perfect. Hell I could probably just leave the Rez alone all week. I know it isn't harming my babies. Dwc just became easy for me when I started doing this. Healthy roots and my two clones are doing great.

If your aren't using bennies and are using salt nutes(minerals) then you should be using bleach. IMO. Try it out. At the end of the week I still clean my reservoirs but from what I'm seeing my whole reservoir is as good as new with a simple rinsing.. Bleach is a miracle. DON'T OVERDUE IT. 99% of the bacterial population dies with even the slightest amount of bleach in the res.

I run a sterile unit, using botanicare KIND series. State of the art balance formula. I just added 1 ml to my 5 gallon. 8% strength. The results are so apparent that I think even 1ml per 5 gallons every 2 days is perfect. Hell I could probably just leave the Rez alone all week. I know it isn't harming my babies. Dwc just became easy for me when I started doing this. Healthy roots and my two clones are doing great.

I have never examined the KIND series - I saw you post this somewhere else and it caught my interest.

And, IMO, DWC is always easy... with the right knowledge.

If your aren't using bennies and are using salt nutes(minerals) then you should be using bleach. IMO. Try it out. At the end of the week I still clean my reservoirs but from what I'm seeing my whole reservoir is as good as new with a simple rinsing.. Bleach is a miracle. DON'T OVERDUE IT. 99% of the bacterial population dies with even the slightest amount of bleach in the res.

I use bennies. And I use nutes. And I use bleach for cleanout much like you do.

But bleach is sodium hypochlorite. Basically a sodium atom attached to a chlorine atom and two water molecules. The plant will take up sodium as though it were potassium (the human body does the same) - but the sodium doesn't properly replace the potassium as far as plant mechanics are concerned.

So, as I said, if I WAS going to try this, I would purchase Potassium Chloride - seems much safer than adding sodium to the water.

Honestly, I don't have confidence in my research on this topic - thus my queries.

Im only very new to this but I swear by h2o2 every time ive dosed with it ive seen huge benefits. my roots are pristine the water is crystal clear and my res is spotless at change time. No h2o2 and root rot here we come and my res is filthy. I can see that minute bleach dosage would be very similar but a lot higher chance of O/D. Just my 2c

I definitely agree with you on the possibility for O/D.

And further research indicates that there is a product which contains Nickel Chloride and that Nickel is a recognized micro nute with benefits to the plants.

Im only very new to this but I swear by h2o2 every time ive dosed with it ive seen huge benefits. my roots are pristine the water is crystal clear and my res is spotless at change time. No h2o2 and root rot here we come and my res is filthy. I can see that minute bleach dosage would be very similar but a lot higher chance of O/D. Just my 2c

Back
Top Bottom