Foxtailing

OldSkoool

During the past week, I noticed the tops of my plant (5th week of flower) were putting out skinny, fast growing growth with relatively large leaves, on what were, fat Christmas tree shaped buds. Being curious, I did some searching for similar plants, but found no explanation until I read Santurro's FAC question regarding flushing.

BWC Bay Area responded with help along with a comment about Foxtailing, with a photo of a bud resembling my own grow. Thanks to BWC Bay Area for explaining what I was seeing.

I'm curious if this is something I should be concerned about? Can I expect them to fill in? The trich's are still 90% clear, some cloudy, none yet are amber, and I figure I have at least 3 weeks to go before slice 'n dice.

Thanks in advance for any comments, or suggestions!

Here's a few photos for a visual

foxtailingC.JPG

foxtailingB.JPG

Shot from above, showing the larger, new leaves.

foxtailingA.JPG

I don't know if this is what BWC Bay Area responded with, but it may shed a little light:

What is fox tailing and what causes it?

Thanks for the link FreakMature. Very interesting, pretty much the same question, but the causes are still unclear. I'm tending to think it's genetics, in the meantime I'll just have to see if it continues, and watch for the lower portions to fill in. If not, I'll smoke it anyway:cheesygrinsmiley:

I saw a few possible reasons in that thread: reaction to fertilizer, heat, humidity, or just the genetics. If any of the first three changed in your grow recently maybe that's the reason it's foxtailing. Medical Marijuana is a pretty seasoned grower.

I saw a few possible reasons in that thread: reaction to fertilizer, heat, humidity, or just the genetics. If any of the first three changed in your grow recently maybe that's the reason it's foxtailing. Medical Marijuana is a pretty seasoned grower.

I can't think of any changes in ferts, heat, or humidity since flowering was initiated FreakNature, but I want to thank you for your help. I talked with my friend that gave me these seeds last night, hoping he could recall the strain, but after 3 years, he wasn't able to recall what they came from, only that it was some kickass weed.

I did a google search on sativa foxtailing, naturally I'm hoping this is the correct explanation from Gypsy Nirvanas Seed Boutique...hope always springs eternal:cheesygrinsmiley:

Breeder : Breeder: GN Collection/Private Dutch Breeder
Flowering Time : 70-77 Days
Environment : Indoor/Outdoor
Seeds Per Pack : 10

Foxtail Sativa is certainly marijuana that would grace any stashbox. The plant itself grows with terrific vigor developing stacked calyxes of crystalline flowers. This is a very dense and big Sativa. The lineage of this plant can be traced to Southeast Asia and specifically the Cambodian border with Laos.

You will be amazed at the strength and pleasure that this plant will give you in a high that will creep up upon you to take you to soaring heights of euphoria. The Foxtail Sativa definitely has a longer lasting effect than many other varieties. We recommend that you do not drive or operate heavy machinery after savoring the delights of this plant. These seeds are the progeny from a breeding project of one of my Dutch breeder friends and we hope that you will learn to love them as they grow into beautiful plants.

The picture that accompanied the description looks strangely familiar

Foxtail-Sativa2.jpg

Wouldn't it be grand:cheer:

The first photos I posted were to show the general shape of the foxtail growth, but don't do justice to the trich's covering the buds like this photo taken last week.

buds11-13-09H.JPG

I want some of that sh*t OldSkoool. How do we get a :ganjamon:clone shipped.?

10 minutes ago I was thinking of exactly the same thing OMM. I'd love to see how one of Wanda's clones would react basking in tropical sun all day. I'll be taking two clippings off Wanda II tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Where do ya think the term "Cola" comes from? The Mexicans have called the main buds "Cola de Zorro" aka "Tail of the Fox" for decades.

Why me and young Pancho Villa used to smoke colitas by the sea wall in Guaymas while tryin' to get some culo from the girls strollin' by.

hey oldskoool, i just posted on your other page but ill put a little here too...

first off, those buds will fill in really nicely, and then they will stretch again. i thought i would be harvesting on about day 56-58, its day 62.

ive been lookin closely at both my strains and they both seem to foxtail, indica and sativa. its more visible on the sativa but if you look closely at the indica those protruding growths as they stretch and fill in still form the same spiral pattern.

Where do ya think the term "Cola" comes from? The Mexicans have called the main buds "Cola de Zorro" aka "Tail of the Fox" for decades.

Why me and young Pancho Villa used to smoke colitas by the sea wall in Guaymas while tryin' to get some culo from the girls strollin' by.

Gawd I love this site! I was clueless about the term, even with my jaunts across the border to spread international friendship back in the days before dirt, and running water:cheesygrinsmiley:

I do remember thinking I was Villa after drinking enough tikillya at the beach cantina in San Filipe, and my mexican buddy was Zapata. Good lord, that was 40 years ago.

hey oldskoool, i just posted on your other page but ill put a little here too...

first off, those buds will fill in really nicely, and then they will stretch again. i thought i would be harvesting on about day 56-58, its day 62.

ive been lookin closely at both my strains and they both seem to foxtail, indica and sativa. its more visible on the sativa but if you look closely at the indica those protruding growths as they stretch and fill in still form the same spiral pattern.

Hey bud, just want to thank you for all you help. I never noticed any of my former grows throwing off 'foxtails'. Live 'n learn eh?

A big :thanks: to everyone that's chimed in on this, learned a lot from you guys!

I have read that a few foliar applications of fulvic acid (specifically, the Dutch Nutrient Product DNF Gold) from the time that the light cycle is switched to 12/12 until approximately the 19th day of flowering would bring on a marked increase of flower sites - so much so that major foxtailing often occurred.

There was a journal here that had pictures of a plant that at first I thought was taken by a shaky hand or otherwise blurred - after a second look and looking at the other pictures in the thread it turned out that it just looked blurry because I couldn't wrap my mind around the EXTREME amount of pistils that were on one plant, lol. I'm pretty sure that the person used a spray containing fulvic acid.

I've been looking for the thread today but can't seem to locate it.

Back
Top Bottom