You can not "climatise" cannabis seeds the same way you would, in certain cases, wood. Impossible for so many reasons!

Yeah, the process of acclimatization/naturalization, when referring to cannabis (et cetera) means growing many - or at least several - generations, selecting parents from each generation that appear to be doing best under the local environmental conditions, growing seeds from those parents, then rinse/lather/repeat. It's like natural selection: critters (animal OR plants) do not suddenly change to fit their environment but, instead, the ones that happen to be better suited for those conditions tend to be the examples of the species that live and thrive long enough to breed, and whose offspring manage to survive said conditions. The actual mutations/changes... Well, they happen sporadically whether there is a need for them or not. Many, perhaps most, of these changes tend to be negative - and those examples, now operating at a handicap, tend not to do well in the Great Procreation Challenge. Others, OtOH... Well, consider the hump on a camel. Looks a bit odd, probably not the kind of thing that a designer would add in for asthetic purposes ( :rolleyes3 ). But the hump allows the camel to survive in conditions that would turn a horse into vulture snacks. That hump would have been just another genetic oddity in many environments, but in desert conditions it was a different story.

You don't seem to have mentioned what strain your current seeds are. If I had to guess - and assumed that all other conditions were the same, my guess would be that you're dealing with two different strains and that the current one has a higher percentage of sativa genetics in it than your previous (successful) strain had. Or it might be that the cool/wet weather is the cause. Cannabis is, for the most part, very much a warm-weather crop. And it doesn't like to "sit around with wet feet" all the time, either - so if your pots are waterlogged, that's hurting their chances. I saw from the image that you posted (thanks for uploading it to your gallery and linking it from there, BtW - off-site image links are verboten here due to potential security concerns) that your soil does not appear to have much (any, lol?) perlite in it. Have you added something to help lighten the soil and provide for good drainage / aeration of the root zone? If not, that - especially if you have been experiencing significant rainfall - could also be a factor.

Six hours of sunlight per day... No, that does not seem like enough. If you're growing a pure indica, or a highly indica-dominant strain, it'll help. Equatorial sativas, lol... not so much. I suppose that, in theory, even one of those could receive enough light-energy in a six hour period. In theory. I don't think that'd happen in practice, because there's an upper limit to how much energy a cannabis plant is capable of processing at one time. And that's in a scenario where the light is very bright and not filtered through clouds and such (IOW, somewhere between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn (that border the equatorial zone). In New England, during a cool and rainy Spring / early Summer, though, that seems doubtful.

Like Guy Cavallero, I would say that the plant you posted the picture of looks reasonably healthy. Just small, like it is a fraction of its actual age. My main concern would be the possibility of root rot, if the soil is too heavy and not well-draining. Other than that, lol, hope for cloudless skies and temperatures in the low to mid 80s. And consider choosing strains in the future that have, as part of their description, the ability to do well in uncertain conditions outdoors. I believe that kind of environment is what led to the creation of the Sensi Seeds (also a forum sponsor) Guerrilla's Gusto strain. I will not provide a link, even though it's to a sponsor's website, out of courtesy to Crop King Seeds. But one reviewer had this to say about the strain:
Inhabitants of humid, cold, and not too sunny regions: this strain will surprise you. In 50L pots, if grown with love, they will give you ladies 2m high, and with very dense buds! Discreet, they will blend into their wooded surroundings. You will not regret it ��

There are undoubtedly more strains that perform well in cooler/wetter climates, and maybe Crop King Seeds has one such in their catalog, IDK. I only remember Guerrilla's Gusto because I bought some (of Sensi's) Jack Herer - and noticed that their Guerrilla's Gusto was approximately 17% of the price of the Jack Herer, lol, which caused me to take a look at it. As Crop King Seeds is a Canadian company - and since Canada is obviously to the NORTH of us - perhaps they have a strain that has gotten good reviews from Canadian outdoor growers that they can recommend for your growing conditions?

A lot of people that grow cannabis outdoors will grow at least two different strains, ones that do best under different conditions. That way, if you have (for example) an unusually hot and dry Summer, you might still have a good harvest... While, if you only grew one strain that was known for doing well in cool/wet conditions, you might have a disappointing harvest. Or vice versa. Insurance, sort of.

Can the act of creating "feminized" seeds lead to a lack of vigor in the resulting plants? Some folks believe so, and I think that - depending on the specific method that was used to produce them - there might be something to this argument. But, no, I do not believe that to be the cause of your issue; it just looks too healthy to have such an issue (small, granted - but healthy). Put that plant on a plane to the Bahamas, lol, and it'd probably turn into a green monster ;) .

I changed the pot size today I believe they were in 4gs and I up the size I don't think the roots had enough room to spread I've been giving them fox farms nutrients I only use it twice a months because I told you Ima beginner I'll post more pics in another week I just really need you guys help so I'll keep you posted your feed back is gold to me I'm really tryna learn

Ima beginner
I just really need you guys help

Best reason I can think of for a person to start a grow journal. And we can always use another one, especially an outdoor one (the vast majority of the grow journal threads are about indoor grows). You'll probably end up with lots of people reading along - and participating in the discussion - before it's over with. Not everyone monitors every sub-forum here, but many people watch for new and/or interesting journal threads, and subscribe to them.

thank you kind sir. the seeds from before - northern lights from CK, climatized by me produced some acceptable buds even if they were shade-grown. i was amazed how well these babies did
They you go Dank......Stank and Torst will get you figured out.....happy growing!

i stand corrected. maybe they "seemed" climatized, as the year i got the seeds they didn't grow as well as they did after i gathered seeds from a plant i intentionally let go to seed that i planted the following year that did really well?? irrelevant to this conversation lest i digress...thank you for your expertise.

You can not "climatise" cannabis seeds the same way you would, in certain cases, wood. Impossible for so many reasons!

They need more light.... If more light doesn't do it, genetics suck?

they are feminized northern lights

Hey Dank,

I am not far from you. I have one plant outdoors and it gets less than 6 hours of direct sun a day (which is more than enough with sun light generally), and is only in a 5 gallon bucket and my plant is growing like mad. I am not on the coast so I don't know if that factor would have anything to do with it or not. Your plant should have definitely been growing rapidly by now. What strain are you growing?

Yeah, the process of acclimatization/naturalization, when referring to cannabis (et cetera) means growing many - or at least several - generations, selecting parents from each generation that appear to be doing best under the local environmental conditions, growing seeds from those parents, then rinse/lather/repeat. It's like natural selection: critters (animal OR plants) do not suddenly change to fit their environment but, instead, the ones that happen to be better suited for those conditions tend to be the examples of the species that live and thrive long enough to breed, and whose offspring manage to survive said conditions. The actual mutations/changes... Well, they happen sporadically whether there is a need for them or not. Many, perhaps most, of these changes tend to be negative - and those examples, now operating at a handicap, tend not to do well in the Great Procreation Challenge. Others, OtOH... Well, consider the hump on a camel. Looks a bit odd, probably not the kind of thing that a designer would add in for asthetic purposes ( :rolleyes3 ). But the hump allows the camel to survive in conditions that would turn a horse into vulture snacks. That hump would have been just another genetic oddity in many environments, but in desert conditions it was a different story.

You don't seem to have mentioned what strain your current seeds are. If I had to guess - and assumed that all other conditions were the same, my guess would be that you're dealing with two different strains and that the current one has a higher percentage of sativa genetics in it than your previous (successful) strain had. Or it might be that the cool/wet weather is the cause. Cannabis is, for the most part, very much a warm-weather crop. And it doesn't like to "sit around with wet feet" all the time, either - so if your pots are waterlogged, that's hurting their chances. I saw from the image that you posted (thanks for uploading it to your gallery and linking it from there, BtW - off-site image links are verboten here due to potential security concerns) that your soil does not appear to have much (any, lol?) perlite in it. Have you added something to help lighten the soil and provide for good drainage / aeration of the root zone? If not, that - especially if you have been experiencing significant rainfall - could also be a factor.

Six hours of sunlight per day... No, that does not seem like enough. If you're growing a pure indica, or a highly indica-dominant strain, it'll help. Equatorial sativas, lol... not so much. I suppose that, in theory, even one of those could receive enough light-energy in a six hour period. In theory. I don't think that'd happen in practice, because there's an upper limit to how much energy a cannabis plant is capable of processing at one time. And that's in a scenario where the light is very bright and not filtered through clouds and such (IOW, somewhere between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn (that border the equatorial zone). In New England, during a cool and rainy Spring / early Summer, though, that seems doubtful.

Like Guy Cavallero, I would say that the plant you posted the picture of looks reasonably healthy. Just small, like it is a fraction of its actual age. My main concern would be the possibility of root rot, if the soil is too heavy and not well-draining. Other than that, lol, hope for cloudless skies and temperatures in the low to mid 80s. And consider choosing strains in the future that have, as part of their description, the ability to do well in uncertain conditions outdoors. I believe that kind of environment is what led to the creation of the Sensi Seeds (also a forum sponsor) Guerrilla's Gusto strain. I will not provide a link, even though it's to a sponsor's website, out of courtesy to Crop King Seeds. But one reviewer had this to say about the strain:

There are undoubtedly more strains that perform well in cooler/wetter climates, and maybe Crop King Seeds has one such in their catalog, IDK. I only remember Guerrilla's Gusto because I bought some (of Sensi's) Jack Herer - and noticed that their Guerrilla's Gusto was approximately 17% of the price of the Jack Herer, lol, which caused me to take a look at it. As Crop King Seeds is a Canadian company - and since Canada is obviously to the NORTH of us - perhaps they have a strain that has gotten good reviews from Canadian outdoor growers that they can recommend for your growing conditions?

A lot of people that grow cannabis outdoors will grow at least two different strains, ones that do best under different conditions. That way, if you have (for example) an unusually hot and dry Summer, you might still have a good harvest... While, if you only grew one strain that was known for doing well in cool/wet conditions, you might have a disappointing harvest. Or vice versa. Insurance, sort of.

Can the act of creating "feminized" seeds lead to a lack of vigor in the resulting plants? Some folks believe so, and I think that - depending on the specific method that was used to produce them - there might be something to this argument. But, no, I do not believe that to be the cause of your issue; it just looks too healthy to have such an issue (small, granted - but healthy). Put that plant on a plane to the Bahamas, lol, and it'd probably turn into a green monster ;) .
Killer explanation Tortured.....I learned from that myself. I have to say that my favourite part was the horse being turned into vulture snacks.....that was priceless and although alone, I laughed out loud! You guys are awesome, thanks for jumping in.

this thread got so messed up - i was originally asking about why my plants were not growing ha hahah
Killer explanation Tortured.....I learned from that myself. I have to say that my favourite part was the horse being turned into vulture snacks.....that was priceless and although alone, I laughed out loud! You guys are awesome, thanks for jumping in.

i stand corrected. maybe they "seemed" climatized, as the year i got the seeds they didn't grow as well as they did after i gathered seeds from a plant i intentionally let go to seed that i planted the following year that did really well??

If your plants were F₁ hybrids, and they pollinated each other, the offspring would be different than the parents. That's one of the reasons why if you save seeds from (non-heirloom) tomatoes that you get from the grocery store and grow them out, you won't get the same kind of tomatoes.

There is also the possibility that your plant was fertilized from someone else's male (or hermaphrodite) plant, or even a wild one that happened to be growing somewhere in the area. It is not unheard of for wind to blow pollen for several hundred yards, depending on conditions. Usually, it's much closer (or even the same plant, if it produced a few male flowers) - but not always. Just one of the things a person has to deal with when growing cannabis outside, I guess.

OMG. i love you - i can see now why you got member of the month
Take it easy, he'll have issues getting his head through the door, lol. Glad you got the help you're needing!

i can see now why you got member of the month

Those were a long time ago, and I don't know that I was any more deserving than anyone else who didn't get the nod.

Take it easy, he'll have issues getting his head through the door, lol.

You come here right now and clean the Dr. Pepper and snot off my keyboard!

J/K, but I did get a chuckle out of your comment.

I don't go out of my way to p!ss people off (err... generally). I don't go out of my way to get them to like me. I'd like to think that, on a good day, if the rest of the population vanished in a puff of smoke, I'd notice, lol, but... If I don't get... what do the kids say? If I don't get butt-hurt when someone calls me a d!ckhead, then I'm pretty unlikely to pay much attention if I receive praise, either. If giving praise - or calling me names ;) - makes a person feel better, then by all means... But don't bother on my account, because I rarely take any real notice.

If, OtOH, you notice that I have unintentionally spread misinformation, definitely mention that. I won't get mad because I got schooled. In fact, I'll thank you if I think of it. After all, you would have taught me something in the process of correcting me.

I'm just jabbering. Restless Finger Syndrome.

Dankwilliam - I am growing 4 auto fem White Widows from CKS. Also in Massachusetts but Berkshires (western part of state). I started them inside in mid April and everything went really well until I decided to go outside (already starting to bud; height 18-24";appearance very healthy) with them in early June as the wonderful odor was getting to be a bit much and was very obvious in the house. We promptly got a rash of cold, wet weather. They have never grown any taller but the buds appear to be continuing to develop and mature and minimal new growth, if any. I think moving them when I did perhaps shocked them (no blame on CKS; it's all on me). At this point a I am starting a couple more plants, although I will be fighting the end of the season for outdoor growing. Yield from my existing plants will be meager at best but I am not deterred. Does anyone have a good reference for judging when to start the harvest process?

The cold weather and the frost will actually do the trichomes some good, the only way to check for absolute best potency is through a a loupe.

Dankwilliam - I am growing 4 auto fem White Widows from CKS. Also in Massachusetts but Berkshires (western part of state). I started them inside in mid April and everything went really well until I decided to go outside (already starting to bud; height 18-24";appearance very healthy) with them in early June as the wonderful odor was getting to be a bit much and was very obvious in the house. We promptly got a rash of cold, wet weather. They have never grown any taller but the buds appear to be continuing to develop and mature and minimal new growth, if any. I think moving them when I did perhaps shocked them (no blame on CKS; it's all on me). At this point a I am starting a couple more plants, although I will be fighting the end of the season for outdoor growing. Yield from my existing plants will be meager at best but I am not deterred. Does anyone have a good reference for judging when to start the harvest process?

Hey there. When to harvest is kind of up to personal preference. What I mean by that is that the effects of the high will be different based on when you harvest. If you harvest when the trichomes are all or mostly milky colored, it will generally be a much more head high. If you wait until the trichomes are mixed between milky and amber colored, its a more balanced high between the head high and the body buzz. If you wait until the trichomes are mostly amber, it will generally be more of a body buzz/couch lock high. Now of course those also vary based on the strain and even pheno of that strain. And like Guy said, best way to know is to invest 10-15 bucks in a loupe.

The problem with waiting too long in hopes of changing the effect profile of the buzz, IMHO, is that one quickly reaches a point at which the trichomes are degrading faster than new ones are being produced and "maturing." In a perfect world, the grower chooses the strain which produces exactly the effect that he/she is looking for, then harvests it at the peak of potency. Admittedly, this isn't always feasible. A grower may be too paranoid to order (seeds of) any one - or more - of the thousands of strains that are sold by seedbanks, for example, and may be limited to the seeds sourced from the bud that he/she purchased.

Back
Top Bottom