General questions about nute lockout

godlylord

So I tested my soil today. The ph was around 6.8, then I checked the nitrogen and it was high. I have only used nutes twice, once at quarter strength and once at half strength. Plants seem to be doing fine, but just wondering if the soil on top is ph 6.8 will the soil lower down be higher or lower ph. I cant figure out why the nitrogen is so high unless the nutes are not being used by the plants. My plants are 4 weeks old growing in ffof in three gallon bucket under 400 watt mh and high output t5 florescent. room temp is staying between 78 and 68 degrees humidity between 30 and 50, like I said they seem to be doing fine but really haven't added enough nutrients to account for such high levels of nitrogen unless the plants arent using it up. any thoughts?

Hi mate, I grow in soil too, and also use a 400w MH. Now usually, the first thing I like to try make my soil as active as possible organicly. I use a HUMUS soil thats 100% org. and has an active N,P,K nutrient base and releases more as it breaks down. To this I add a good soil potting mix, and some pea straw mulch, not much, just a bit for aeration. To this mix, I add some Dolomite Cal/mag so as to hopefully avoid any deficiencies.
Im pretty sure Ive heard that FF soils can be quite 'HOT' in nutes, so if youre adding more food, maybe try something with a slightly lower N ratio. Or just dilute what you have some more..I use a seaweed extract called SEASOL its a great plant conditioner and feeds minerals and bacteria to the soil and plant, IMO THEY LOVE IT!! I also have a version which contains some n,p,k as well as other amino acids and such.
So maybe you might wanna back of on nutes, feed every say 2nd to 3rd water, and things should stabilise. I dont think the PH will be lower in the base of the pot, it may be slightly but it should have no effect. Usually, you test the PH of your water or feed solution, then adjust, water the plant and then once the run off comes out, collect some and again test the PH. If its slightly higher or lower you will need adjustments. I think I have a chart of what your soils PH will be if the run off s PH is diffrent from what you watered with in my COMPLETE journal first on my signature.. SORRY IM NOT SURE WHERE IT IS EXACTLY, Ill try find it and get back to ya. Smokemup

I would like to know how you "checked the nitrogen". Please elaborate on this.

What kind of pH meter are you using? Do you have a probe to reach down 6 inches into the soil? The pH of the soil likely won't change from top to bottom. Soil is much more forgiving to pH extremes than hydro is, so I wouldn't worry too much, I pulled off fine meds with a soil pH of 8.1.

If the plants look very green and lush, that would be a sign of having a lot of nitrogen, but if its more yellow, than it's likely being locked out.

Also, nitrogen will be locked out at a pH below 7.

Never heard of that... thats totally nonsense.

Best PH value for soil grows is PH 6.4 to 6.6 for optimal nutrient uptake... below PH 6 & above PH 7 is where nutrients may & begin to get locked out !

I would like to know how you "checked the nitrogen". Please elaborate on this.

What kind of pH meter are you using? Do you have a probe to reach down 6 inches into the soil? The pH of the soil likely won't change from top to bottom. Soil is much more forgiving to pH extremes than hydro is, so I wouldn't worry too much, I pulled off fine meds with a soil pH of 8.1.

If the plants look very green and lush, that would be a sign of having a lot of nitrogen, but if its more yellow, than it's likely being locked out.

Stay away from soil PH testers those will have you f ur soil all up. Pretty much just PH your solution before feeding to your plants. Thats all I do. I never checked my soil PH after I got the hang of it. What ever you put into your soil is what it will be. I use PH drops to check my solution PH. anything yellow, yellow green or green Ill put it in my soil. 6.0-6.5 as Fuzz said.

Stay away from soil PH testers those will have you f ur soil all up. Pretty much just PH your solution before feeding to your plants. Thats all I do. I never checked my soil PH after I got the hang of it. What ever you put into your soil is what it will be. I use PH drops to check my solution PH. anything yellow, yellow green or green Ill put it in my soil. 6.0-6.5 as Fuzz said.

Do what you do bro, we all have our own methods, as long as its producing fine medication at the end of the day, that's all that matters =)

So any way thanks for the responses guys I appreciate it. So I bought a rapid test soil test kit, even though I adjust the ph of the water before I water I was curious about what was going on with the soil, which 6.8 is not bad for soil. This kit also came with a nitrogen test so I did it too and it just showed that the nitrogen is high, but it doesn't seem to be a problem as my Tangerine Dream and 8 ball kush are thriving, not gaining much height but getting really busy due to lsting, super cropping, topping and fiming, They have been vegging for 4 weeks probably go two more weeks get some clones and switch em over.:circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom