Gray Mold On Fabric Pots? Advice, Tips, Solutions?

I suspect with the crazy high RH this summer many (outdoor) growers have seen more botrytis, aka bud rot, than usual. In the NE we have been getting hammered with 90%+ RH and it will continue for at least another week or more.

I've noticed my pots have developed this nasty stain/mold in the last 10 days. I sprayed a little alcohol/lemon juice/drop of dish soap just see if it would affect it overnight. If anyone has this same issue and/or if you have any tips to deal with it... please share.
:thanks:

hmm i cant say i have ever seen that, watched my mom grow veggies in bags for the last 7-8years... Theyre black/grey bags, perhaps it just cant be seen on them though... Wish i had something helpful to offer, sorry blew!
First time I used tan bags as well...makes one think though...

As a coco grower we mainly get salt on them which scrubbing with plain water works. Other than that which you did I would try to circulate more air around the base of the pot. Can't believe you are still that hot. In had The heat on last night.
I think mold just need moisture and temps above 40F...

I have been circulating with a fan and wondering of that might actually spread the spores....

They get watered every day so there is little opportunity to dry them out...

Will see tomorrow if my spraying them with alcohol and lemon juice worked. Might try adding neem in that mix...

Good idea...just sprayed them with a 50% mix. I wasn't sure if it would hurt the plants but I looked it up and supposedly no issues.
Cool, you should be able to use it undiluted also. 3 percent stuff. I have used it for killing gnat larvae in coco, apparently it turns to water and oxygen quite quickly.

Cool, you should be able to use it undiluted also. 3 percent stuff. I have used it for killing gnat larvae in coco, apparently it turns to water and oxygen quite quickly.
I sprayed about 8-10 oz on the pots, so I wanted to make sure there was enough for a second application later tonight. I am watering later and that will rinse/dilute what I applied. Peroxide was a good suggestion.

I suspect with the crazy high RH this summer many (outdoor) growers have seen more botrytis, aka bud rot, than usual. In the NE we have been getting hammered with 90%+ RH and it will continue for at least another week or more.

I've noticed my pots have developed this nasty stain/mold in the last 10 days. I sprayed a little alcohol/lemon juice/drop of dish soap just see if it would affect it overnight. If anyone has this same issue and/or if you have any tips to deal with it... please share.
:thanks:

I have had that before run some h202 a few runs through it and it should kill all that green algae

I sprayed about 8-10 oz on the pots, so I wanted to make sure there was enough for a second application later tonight. I am watering later and that will rinse/dilute what I applied. Peroxide was a good suggestion.
Hope you get it cleared up. I used to work in home renovation and saw a good bit of mold.

Hope you get it cleared up. I used to work in home renovation and saw a good bit of mold.
Those are in my GH and they are getting trashed at the end of the grow. First time I have used tan pots, so makes me wonder if I had this issue in the past with black ones (and didn't see it).

You can feed it to them but in your case I think just spraying the pots should do what you want.. What are you growing in? Probably not great for any friendly organisms in the soil unless your medium is full of mold too...
I am using organic soil, but I also cut open 2x of these yesterday (had to harvest 3x plants early due to rot...no wonder) and there was no trace of it on the inside. Initially i just thought it was a bleed through stain from the soil as I was adding fish fert every 4-5 watering and I thought maybe that's just what happens. But the light went off (late!) yesterday and I started thinking ....is that fcking mold??

Add it to the water for the plants? Or apply on outside?
I would personally add it to water and our directly in medium asap to kill that crap.

As well as I would take some on cloth or something and try to keep wiping cleaning the outside off. You notice that when medium is wet it shows more then when it dries out too probably ... liek it’s worse ?

Those are in my GH and they are getting trashed at the end of the grow. First time I have used tan pots, so makes me wonder if I had this issue in the past with black ones (and didn't see it).
Stop scarying me I just bought ten tan pots lol

I would personally add it to water and our directly in medium asap to kill that crap. As well as I would take some on cloth or something and try to keep wiping cleaning the outside off. You notice that when medium is wet it shows more then when it dries out too probably ... like it’s worse ?
I'll add some today to the watering. I'll also keep spraying on the outside. I turned on a large volume fan about 10 days ago as we are battling crazy high RH here....it probably did a nice job of mobilizing the mold spores...it definitely sprang up since then.

Stop scarying me I just bought ten tan pots lol
Actually, wouldn't you rather SEE it?? I was pissed at tan pots yesterday as well, but today it got me thinking this would be very hard, if not impossible, to see on my black pots.

Back
Top Bottom