Grow room or grow tent?

Fatlad

Hi ppl whats your thoughts on doing a grow room over a grow tent. I'm currently growing in 1.6x1.2x2.4 loft tent but feel like it's not big enough and find it difficult to work around when having to adjust lights, trim and lollypop plants etc. The toom that it's in is a spare room so could probably just hang the lights etc and be able to set up so I could actually walk around the plants. Only thing I'm concerned about is smell and humidity etc but would enjoy to have the freedom of movement. What's everyone's thoughts

whats your thoughts on doing a grow room over a grow tent.
Good topic.

The way I see it, it is the grow room for the winner.

With a room it is easy to walk around and work with plants as you mentioned. Plus with the room part of it can be used to store equipment & supplies that are not being needed at the time. The real bonus is that the tent could be set back up if needed for special occasions.

I had been thinking about that. @Fatland's spare room is already being heated and cooled so the downside would be if it takes a lot more heat and humidity control than the tent did. If it is a bit more effort to control the heat and/or humidity in the room then it might not be noticeable.

Often easier in the long run to work out the problems on a larger room and then downsize if it is not going as well as hoped.

Sounds like the biggest point influencing whether to make the change is that using the room allows for more room to move around and do what ever has to be done to the plants.

Edited to correct by putting "not" in the line: "downsize if it is not going as well as hoped."

I have a 3x3x6’ tent. Cozy for two plants that grow wide. Cozy with a small humidifier and small box fan as well. So we bought their 27x60wx80t tent. Amazed the 80 tall fit on a pallet and fit under the beams in the basement. LOTSA room now. Just needs extra heat and moisture.

I had been thinking about that. @Fatland's spare room is already being heated and cooled so the downside would be if it takes a lot more heat and humidity control than the tent did. If it is a bit more effort to control the heat and/or humidity in the room then it might not be noticeable.

Often easier in the long run to work out the problems on a larger room and then downsize if it is not going as well as hoped.

Sounds like the biggest point influencing whether to make the change is that using the room allows for more room to move around and do what ever has to be done to the plants.

Edited to correct by putting "not" in the line: "downsize if it is not going as well as hoped."
Yeah my room is actually a attic room with radiator, window etc so it's pretty easy to control heat issues just not sure on the humidity side also my other concern is the smell .. I obviously have the carbon filters and fans etc for my tent so would that be enough to remove or hide the smell also would I need to sort my walls out .. they are white already so was thinking my led lights should be enough.

Larger just means more heat and humidity will be needed.
Yeah thats what I'm.tryjng to work out whether it's worth it ... my attic room is sloped so I can only fit a 1.6mtr high tent up there so the lights don't really have that much room to go up if the plants go close

I had been putting the flowering plants into a rebuilt cabinet for a couple of years. Worst thing was I had to bend over to do any work on plants and almost had to crawl into the thing to get to plants by the back. Working space in the cabinet was 4X5 but fan and filter and a bit of storage left me with 4X4.

Bought a 5X5 and I use approximately 4x5 of it and the other bit of space allows me to step in and move around a bit. Much nicer and a lot easier on the knees and lower back. Several inches of space between the tent top and the floor joists above. If the tent has to be moved the ceiling bulb has to be unscrewed.

The growing lights over the veg area and in the tent produce enough heat that this basement room becomes the warmest in the house over the winter. In the summer I leave the room door open and it balances out with the rest of the basement, often becoming 68-70 at night and 75-82 during the day.

I obviously have the carbon filters and fans etc for my tent so would that be enough to remove or hide the smell
It would depend on the size of the room. Smells from the flowering plants would be concentrated in a tent so air exchange would be good. The smell from flowering plants on a shelf or table or on the floor in a room becomes diluted in a room and that means more cubic feet of air that has to be pulled or pushed through the filter to get rid of most or all of the odor.

I need to sort my walls out .. they are white already so was thinking my led lights should be enough.
There are plenty of growers who recommend flat white paint for walls over the expense and hassle of setting up something with a reflective surface. Based on what has been posted in messages here the painted walls should be OK.

I had been putting the flowering plants into a rebuilt cabinet for a couple of years. Worst thing was I had to bend over to do any work on plants and almost had to crawl into the thing to get to plants by the back. Working space in the cabinet was 4X5 but fan and filter and a bit of storage left me with 4X4.

Bought a 5X5 and I use approximately 4x5 of it and the other bit of space allows me to step in and move around a bit. Much nicer and a lot easier on the knees and lower back. Several inches of space between the tent top and the floor joists above. If the tent has to be moved the ceiling bulb has to be unscrewed.

The growing lights over the veg area and in the tent produce enough heat that this basement room becomes the warmest in the house over the winter. In the summer I leave the room door open and it balances out with the rest of the basement, often becoming 68-70 at night and 75-82 during the day.
Yeah im like 17 stone crawling about in 1.6 x 1.2 x2.4 tent trying to sort 8 plants out .. raise lights etc and it's a nightmare and actually bust a few zips In the past just by trying to get in and out to adjust certain things lol ... love the idea of just being able to walk about and probably get better results from my plants as the ones at back always get neglected a lot more than the front ones. Maybe I just bite the bullet and try it and see what happens like you say I can always revert back to my tent if things don't go to plan

Hi ppl whats your thoughts on doing a grow room over a grow tent. I'm currently growing in 1.6x1.2x2.4 loft tent but feel like it's not big enough and find it difficult to work around when having to adjust lights, trim and lollypop plants etc. The toom that it's in is a spare room so could probably just hang the lights etc and be able to set up so I could actually walk around the plants. Only thing I'm concerned about is smell and humidity etc but would enjoy to have the freedom of movement. What's everyone's thoughts

I had a perfect 5x5 room under the stairs at my old house. My 2x4 tent works fine, but I sure do miss my grow room.

love the idea of just being able to walk about and probably get better results from my plants as the ones at back always get neglected a lot more than the front ones.
I can't walk around but it is so much better with a big tent that it does seem like I am walking. I put on a hat with a wide brim to keep the light out of my eyes and I can reach the corners and so on so much easier than when I had to bend over, etc.

probably get better results from my plants as the ones at back always get neglected a lot more than the front ones.
I noticed that when I was using the cabinet. My back, hips and knees just could not handle it anymore and it became easy to avoid the back row of plants.

Grow room more stable grow tents tend to give in in the sides just get u good inline booster fan to pull out humidity stale air 👌 works great

If I had a big room I would set up 4 tents in it. A small tent for germination & seedlings (or clones), a larger veg tent and the largest for flowering. Harvest every 2 months. The 4th optional tent is for a mother plant if I ever find that superweed that I want to clone.
That sounds like a perfect room but unfortunately I'm restricted height wise to have the tents and space I want 😫

I'm limited too in this tiny studio apartment. For now I'm just appreciating the fact that such a setup with a 5' x 5' flower tent I could produce 3 pounds or more every 2 months. :ganjamon:

Setting up a room isn't difficult, though. You can frame up multiple enclosures with 2"x2" and separate them with Panda Film to create a staged grow system. There are some good videos on Youtube though I don't have the url's.

I love my tent. It's big. Not ginormous. But I dream of a grow room, and a green house outdoors.

I finally hit ceiling this run, 7.5 ft. Had to lay my bush over. Sad day. I would like a room prepped for the unmentionables.

Grow room 8x8 or 10x10 - fire retardant materials, over head sprayer, or the smoke bombs that smother the fire by removing oxygen levels. Independent circuit breaker. That's peace of mind. Then you have plenty of room for all the extras that your always end up having, or the extra plant you try to stuff.

Green house - omg. @Bill284 his green house is perfect for my needs. Efficient, productive, and zen like nothing else.

I love my tent. It's big. Not ginormous. But I dream of a grow room, and a green house outdoors.

I finally hit ceiling this run, 7.5 ft. Had to lay my bush over. Sad day. I would like a room prepped for the unmentionables.

Grow room 8x8 or 10x10 - fire retardant materials, over head sprayer, or the smoke bombs that smother the fire by removing oxygen levels. Independent circuit breaker. That's peace of mind. Then you have plenty of room for all the extras that your always end up having, or the extra plant you try to stuff.

Green house - omg. @Bill284 his green house is perfect for my needs. Efficient, productive, and zen like nothing else.
Thanks Amigo.
The new @VIVOSUN Grow Facility I'm building is 100 sqft.
It'll be fireproof as can be, guaranteed.
Hope you enjoyed your day with the family.
Take care.

#Love What You Grow
Bill284 :cool:

I went from a grow tent to a grow room and glad I did. Room to work and storage is nice. I control humidity with a table top humidifier or a small floor dehumidifier. Having more control over light height is a plus as they grow also. Grow room wins hands down.

Back
Top Bottom