Growing pains

24Merlin

HELP! For the newbie,I,ve started my first grow useing northren lights from bc bud depot.And a 3 foot stealth grow box.I,am useing
whats called the supergrow method suggested by the seller of the box.That calls no nurtrients until 3-4 inches of growth.And a lighting schedule for 18 hours on 6 hours off.Useing cfl lighting.four plants seem to be okay.Two of them sprouted later than the other four.But seem to be catching up.One of them after about two inches of growth developed a weak appearing stem it collapsed and the plant could support itself and fell over I proped it up with stick with string tied around it.However it has died a second plant is also in this condition but seems that it may survive!Two plants seem to be doing real good.The two other ones that sprouted late are also looking real good and strong!My main concern is why one of them developed a collapsed stalk and fell over!And do,es proping them up with stick and string usualy work or if a plant collapses!Or is pretty much a lost cause after that.I,am useing Reverse osmosis water as per suggesstion from someone in this forum!Any help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated!Thanks ahead of time for the help.And Greatfull thanks for the help in the past.24Merlin

You are forcing the plant to live off of reserves that are stored in the seed. Different varieties will have different amounts of food available.

I don't believe that a comment such as "feed after they are 3-4 inches tall" will work in all cases. Some seeds are very small - thus limited amounts of food reserves. Some seeds are very large - and thus can make it a long time without supplemental food. If a seedling doesn't need food, it won't take it in. So the only issue is burning the new roots. I don't know of any seedling that will die if you immediately start feeding it 1/4 strength nutes... and i have raised a bunch. Many I just throw into the full strength veg ebb and flow.

I believe that in hydro you should feed them a weak nutrient solution starting when they are sprouted - feed them 1/4 of the normal feed for vegging plants. I just sprouted over 30 seeds during a two to three week period - one didn't germinate and the rest are flowering or have been given away - and are now flowering. You can check my journal as the progress is noted there.

:goodluck:

Hi 24Merlin,

Do you have a fan blowing on the seedlings?

Do you have your lights right on top of them?

Once you have a sprout, you need plenty of light to prevent the stretch and a fan to make the stalk strong so it can handle all the weight that it will be producing in flower cycle.

Hope this helps.

:Namaste:

Thank you all for your help I greatly appreciate it.To clarify some of your questions Yes my grow box has fans two of them intake and exhaust!The lights are mounted on the ceiling of the grow box they are about 2 and 3/4 feet away from the seedlings.However as they they grow taller the lights will of course be closer to the vegetative plant.I am starting with soft white red color spectrum bulbs spiral type floresent bulbs that came with the box.And i have the same type of spiral bulbs cfl type to switch to once the plants are vegetative!I,am useing a lighting schedule suggested by the seller of the box for which 18 hours light 6 hours darkness.Do,es this sound like a good schedule?Also in addition i,am running three bulbs!Also you asked about PH testing I have,nt done this I,ve heard about but I guess i,am leaveing it to chance that the PH is correct because of the type water i,am useing!Reverse osmosis water was suggested by a member!But did not mention PH testing.What is the best and most accurate way to test and how do adjust it to proper level.Do,es the type of strain make a difference for the ph level.Also thanks to GreatLife4All for the nute info i,am going to start nutrient,s today.I will be awaiting your advise and will stay in touch.I greatly appreciate everyones help and concern to my posting have a great day keep em flyin!24Merlin

Your lights are way to high for seedlings, if you can, lower the lights to where they are about 6 inches away from the top of the plant. If you can't lower the light, try stacking something so that the seedlings can go up to the light.

18/6 is the normal veg time schedule, when you ready for flower, you switch it over to 12/12.

Other than intake and outtake fans, your going to need a fan inside the grow room to have it blowing on the seedlings, this is how they get their stalk to be strong, when the fan blows on them, they become more resilient to the wind pressure and grow their stalk out.

Lighting - For seedling/veg, you should be using the 6500K lights, blue spectrum over the red. You use more red spectrum (2700K) when your in flower.

RO water should be at a neutral pH. When you add nutrients, this can change, pH is very important when it comes to nutrient uptake of the plant.

If your having many questions and feel your more lost than anything, please check out this thread: How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

This is where I started and I learned everything that I needed to know. I'm sure you will see things that you thought about asking at one point in time and forgot about, it's all there for the taking brotha! Take advantage! :thumb:

But always feel free to ask, we are all here to help each other!

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom