Growing under plastic

KJM

I was wondering if anyone grows in a greenhouse with double layered plastic for insulation purposes? My greenhouse was set up like that early last summer, but I worried that 2 layers of plastic and the condensation in between was blocking too much light. I removed the inner layer and had a successful grow. However the small heater I had going in the fall struggled to keep the temps up at night. Does anybody have any experience growing under double layered plastic?

My greenhouse has fairly opaque polycarbonate walls, but they are a little too clear, so I added 4 mil plastic to the inside to help block "Prying Eyes", not for insulation. It raised the temps and humidity a bit, but, being in coastal Northern CA I do not have cold temp issues. Two years ago I removed the poly roof, so it's open to the sky, that helped a lot with humidity and heat issues. Wish I could be more help.

I was wondering if anyone grows in a greenhouse with double layered plastic for insulation purposes? My greenhouse was set up like that early last summer, but I worried that 2 layers of plastic and the condensation in between was blocking too much light. I removed the inner layer and had a successful grow. However the small heater I had going in the fall struggled to keep the temps up at night. Does anybody have any experience growing under double layered plastic?

phyto has the right answer.

if you can cut or add a couple panels near the top to open during the daytime it would help control it. it's how they deal with the issue in commercial type plastic film green houses.

Good morning my friend. :ciao:
Heavens Shores in my sig.
Exactly what your talking about.
I never had a problem with moisture between the layers though.
Just at night when I closed the vents to heat the greenhouse.
Rh was 99 % at night.
Do you have a dehumidifier?
What size greenhouse and heater are you using?

#Vivosun #Love What You Grow
Bill284 :cool:

Good morning my friend. :ciao:
Heavens Shores in my sig.
Exactly what your talking about.
I never had a problem with moisture between the layers though.
Just at night when I closed the vents to heat the greenhouse.
Rh was 99 % at night.
Do you have a dehumidifier?
What size greenhouse and heater are you using?

Hi, yes I had my sister in laws dehumidifier last year, plan to buy my own this year. The heater was a 1500w small portable space heater. The greenhouse is about 12ft x 8ft I think. I live in a fairly cool damp environment here in eastern Canada, so I don't think I'll ever beat the condensation! However with double layered poly at least the condensation should be between the layers instead of dripping onto my buds! I looked at some of your grow journal but its too long to see it all! Do you think all those different soil additives really make a big difference? I just used reg garden soil amended with some manure and some blood and bone meal and a little lime as our soil here tends to be acidic. An occasional application of 10-10-10 fertilizer from the local hardware store. The manure (chicken and cow) and lime I can get by the pickup load for free, so everything is nice and cheap! I wonder sometimes if some people here put too much emphasis on particular recipes for getting the nutes exact when its really maybe not necessary and a waste of money? Weed is just a plant and should thrive under the same conditions most other plants do...

Hi, yes I had my sister in laws dehumidifier last year, plan to buy my own this year. The heater was a 1500w small portable space heater. The greenhouse is about 12ft x 8ft I think. I live in a fairly cool damp environment here in eastern Canada, so I don't think I'll ever beat the condensation! However with double layered poly at least the condensation should be between the layers instead of dripping onto my buds! I looked at some of your grow journal but its too long to see it all! Do you think all those different soil additives really make a big difference? I just used reg garden soil amended with some manure and some blood and bone meal and a little lime as our soil here tends to be acidic. An occasional application of 10-10-10 fertilizer from the local hardware store. The manure (chicken and cow) and lime I can get by the pickup load for free, so everything is nice and cheap! I wonder sometimes if some people here put too much emphasis on particular recipes for getting the nutes exact when its really maybe not necessary and a waste of money? Weed is just a plant and should thrive under the same conditions most other plants do...
Good morning, apologies for the late reply.
I'm not sure if your referring to the soil mixture I used.
Or my Bill284 Method will bokashi , frass & DYNOMYCO.
I'm not a soil grower usually.
Outside I did mostly soil for ease of watering, but I ended up feeding the soil girls every day anyway.
I swear by Bokashi , Frass & DYNOMYCO.
It's not nutrients, it creates microbes & fungi in the root zone.
They feed and take care of my roots.
I normally run coco perpetual garden.
Harvested 2 lbs a month minimum.
I found roots more important than anything else.
So I designed the Bill284 Method with perlite layers for Air.
And Bokashi, Frass & DYNOMYCO to feed and care for my roots.
I don't worry about worm castings or chicken manure.
I just feed nutrients daily.
Microbes do it all.
As far as the condensation goes it will form nearest the source.
Plant's transpire what they drink releasing moisture into the air on the interior of the greenhouse.
That's where it will be trapped, on the inside.
Ventilation and a big dehumidifier were my only options.
With a heater at night, vents closed though creating my moisture issue.
Double layered poly holds heat better.
It doesn't effect the location of condensation.
Though the increased heat helps a little.
Condensation forms at the source.
Hope your enjoying your weekend.
Talk soon.

Back
Top Bottom