Growing with Coco: Questions, Answers & Scuttlebutt

I have my automated hempy system in my head, and all the gear I need to do it. Just need the time.

Since I'm using a CRF and the reservoir will only need to hold water, it should be *extremely* low maintenance.

I'm not serving up soup.

SS, Coconut soup might not be to bad.LOL .I got some plants in coco havent watered for three days three gall pot no prob so far. Time will tell i guess.BC

I think you can treat it like soil, but then you lose some of the advantage of having a medium that drains better than soil and can give you near-active-hydro yields with more frequent waterings/feedings.

So, I don't think it's that you can't treat it like soil, but that you can obtain better results by keeping it moist and not letting it dry out too much before watering.

I have a couple of mother plants in 5" square pots with coco, treating them just like soil, and they're doing fine, but I don't want them growing too much, so that watering schedule suits the situation fine, but I guess for optimal results , it's better to water more frequently than soil.

Hi All,
Once a day
Twice a day
Every other day
I have tried it all.

Rinse it well in hot tap water.
1 brick in a 5Gal. bucket. let it soak 24 hours. Scoop it out with a strainer.
Sqeeze out all the water you can.
Charge with Cal/Mag.
It's ready to use.

Done 50/50
75/25

just coco is best!

:slide:

High Coco Joe, thanks for popping in. How fine is the coco you use? I've got the GH Groteck 5k block, and it seems super fine. Worried me, so I cut in 20-25% perlite. I'll try a straight one next.

And, did one watering schedule work better?

Hot water and squeezing are going into my to do list. Thanks.

:peace:

I think you can treat it like soil, but then you lose some of the advantage of having a medium that drains better than soil and can give you near-active-hydro yields with more frequent waterings/feedings.

So, I don't think it's that you can't treat it like soil, but that you can obtain better results by keeping it moist and not letting it dry out too much before watering.

I have a couple of mother plants in 5" square pots with coco, treating them just like soil, and they're doing fine, but I don't want them growing too much, so that watering schedule suits the situation fine, but I guess for optimal results , it's better to water more frequently than soil.

SS, it's cooler now, but I had a plant in a perlite hempy that needed water every day. I put her in a coco hempy w/ perlite res and hydroton on top... she's been 5 days and still had moisture a couple of inches down, vegging.

I have a friend who grows professionally with 2 parts coco one part dirt in 10l pots, says he can go 3-5 days in flower depending on strain.

Coco's got some tricks, but I'm liking it :yummy:

I like it too.

The only problems I've had with it were secondary to not rinsing and prepping it well before use.

It does hold a lot of water compared to perlite, and doesn't compromise aeration to do it, so I'm going to continue to use it, but I'm going to rinse the hell out of it first.

3-5 days in bloom is darn good in 10-liter pots.

I like it too.

The only problems I've had with it were secondary to not rinsing and prepping it well before use.

It does hold a lot of water compared to perlite, and doesn't compromise aeration to do it, so I'm going to continue to use it, but I'm going to rinse the hell out of it first.

3-5 days in bloom is darn good in 10-liter pots.

I wasn't going to rinse mine, but someone told me they'd do it no matter what the bag said ;-0

3-5 days in bloom, I've got to see for myself, but this guy's always been a straight shooter.

Prepping coco has been a pain for me, so like Randy Newman sez "maybe I'm doing it wrong?"

Here's what I've been doing:

5k block of unwrapped GH Grotec in a 25qt tote w/ 9gals of water.

Soak for a few hours until the block breaks up and is totally wet.

Dump into a tote w/ some 1/4" holes in the bottom and flush and flush and flush until the runoff is clear and the ppm is about the same going in as going out. Takes a good hour or more.

Drain

I've got well water with a high TA. It takes around 30-40gals for the first flush.

So then I run about 10gals of distilled (from dehumidifier) ph'd to 5.8 to flush out well water salts, checking ppm.

Drain

Put coco back in the tote w/o holes, add 2-4gals, ph'd rain water w/ 10mls/gal cal/mag, and let that sit for a few hours.

Dump it in the tote w/ holes and drain.

Then I dump it into a baby pool and let it dry out for a week w/ some occasional stirring.

Makes about an 18qt tote of coir.

Phew... I'm going to try hot water and squeezing next time like Coco Joe suggests... but I've also heard that Canna and B-cuzz don't need so much prep?

I'd love to hear how the rest of you prep :morenutes:

I'm less fastidious. I break some off a block, and put some water on it. Later, I load up my grow vessels, and flush in there. Two qts each of tap is all, they get partially flushed every day when fed. WTW, no hempy res. Waste runs a little brown for a while, no biggie.
The mini flood in the 'bottles' packs the coir well; it settles no more after.

I had no trouble with the big brick I prepped by first hydrating in a big tub, then dumping it into a big planter and flushing it really well with a garden hose. Then I prepped it with RO and 5 ml per gal of cal-mag, although now I think I'd use 10 ml for the prep.

Not really that much labor involved, but certainly more than opening a bag of soil.

I had no trouble with the big brick I prepped by first hydrating in a big tub, then dumping it into a big planter and flushing it really well with a garden hose. Then I prepped it with RO and 5 ml per gal of cal-mag, although now I think I'd use 10 ml for the prep.

Not really that much labor involved, but certainly more than opening a bag of soil.

Do you keep the coco sitting in the cal/mag prep for a while, or just let it drain?

Looks like I can cut out maybe 8 or 10 steps :tokin:

Here's a tidbit I found from Slimm:

"Thanks. I have good news! I resolved the Mg lockout thanks to knna and an old post of his on growing in coco. According to knna, 5.8 is the inflection point for unlocking Ca and Mg in coco, due to coco's unique CEC. Lower than 5.8 releases more Ca, higher makes more Mg available. 3 mg of Epsom salts per gallon helped, but the kicker was two feedings with ph at 5.8. The first feeding was more of a flush. I ran normal nutrient solution to flush rather than plain RO. The reason being that coco does not respond well to plain RO flushing because the CaMg buffer will have to be re-established after the flush. This morning I fed again with the same mix at 5.8 and the plants are doing great!

I'm not sure yet if I will stay at 5.8 or I will alternate between 5.5 and 6.0. I will watch for signs of Ca or Mg def and ph accordingly. I' pretty surprised that this was an issue since i am only using 30% coco but now that it's understood I don't think it will be a problem any longer. I will just manage the ph."

Good info horse .didnt know bout runnin the lower ph but everywhere i look at coco grows everyone plants are best between 5.5 and 5.8. definately lower than i use to keep the sunshine mix at.that would explain all the probs with the cal mag..Thanks BC

SS, Coconut soup might not be to bad.LOL .I got some plants in coco havent watered for three days three gall pot no prob so far. Time will tell i guess.BC

High BC ;)

3 gal of straight coco, or did you cut it with any perlite or something else?

I'd think 3 gal of straight coco should go 3 days with most plants, but I've read a few reports of better results with not letting the coco go too dry.

Or maybe it's an issue of "under-utilizing" coco's potential by not watering it more often than soil, since it's hard to over-water it. If you treat it like soil, maybe you get more soil-like results versus more hydro-like results if you treat it more like hydro and keep it more consistently moist?

I'm going to use some 5 gal pots on my next grow to see if I can get 5 days between watering.

High BC ;)

3 gal of straight coco, or did you cut it with any perlite or something else?

I'd think 3 gal of straight coco should go 3 days with most plants, but I've read a few reports of better results with not letting the coco go too dry.

Or maybe it's an issue of "under-utilizing" coco's potential by not watering it more often than soil, since it's hard to over-water it. If you treat it like soil, maybe you get more soil-like results versus more hydro-like results if you treat it more like hydro and keep it more consistently moist?

I'm going to use some 5 gal pots on my next grow to see if I can get 5 days between watering.

High SS mine are cut 60/40 perlite .I find that it runsoff real fast maybe less perlite next time .Even after watering stick the moisture meter in and it reads close to dry.U can water every day no problem every other day maybe three days apart i think your right though every day easy though.i used canna coc0 and i rinsed before use first rinse read .3 EC, third rinse .55 so very low in salts prob could run it straight outta of the bag. no rinse just some good run off of cal mag. and mild nutes..So far thats where im at.. the low ph is the ticket i believe to success.wit this stuff. BC

Here's a tidbit I found from Slimm:

"Thanks. I have good news! I resolved the Mg lockout thanks to knna and an old post of his on growing in coco. According to knna, 5.8 is the inflection point for unlocking Ca and Mg in coco, due to coco's unique CEC. Lower than 5.8 releases more Ca, higher makes more Mg available. 3 mg of Epsom salts per gallon helped, but the kicker was two feedings with ph at 5.8. The first feeding was more of a flush. I ran normal nutrient solution to flush rather than plain RO. The reason being that coco does not respond well to plain RO flushing because the CaMg buffer will have to be re-established after the flush. This morning I fed again with the same mix at 5.8 and the plants are doing great!

I'm not sure yet if I will stay at 5.8 or I will alternate between 5.5 and 6.0. I will watch for signs of Ca or Mg def and ph accordingly. I' pretty surprised that this was an issue since i am only using 30% coco but now that it's understood I don't think it will be a problem any longer. I will just manage the ph."

YES! Learned this the hard way. I bought a bag of 'pre-rinsed' that was anything but. Then found out about the Cal/Mg issue way too late...so now I prep like this:

1.place coco in container with holes at bottom
2.rinse until clear
3.wait 20 mins
4.second rinse till clear
5.let sit full day (so its somewhat drier for precharge)
6.then i mix a gal with 15ml cal/mg+, 2ml Flora Nova grow & 5 drops superthrive, ph'd to 5.8
7.then I add perlite and while mixing I add the precharge a little at a time
8.while mixing, i stop every so often and 'dust' the top with Great White

Rebuilding the buffer after flush is key, basically the way i understand it is: The coco likes to hold on to the Ions of Ca and Mg so you must satisfy the coco before you can satisfy the roots.

I give everything at 5.8 always, water feedings always have a little cal/mg and hygrozyme in them.

Also, I clone straight into coco and I've gotten 100% success rate. When I got root aphids, I took a few clones of a mango that was a decent size teen, then cut the teen at the base and dipped into clonex, rolled it into Great White and stuck it into some coco, compacting around the cut just a bit to ensure contact. I put the little container into a dish with water in it so it would constantly wick water and the whole plant rooted without fuss. Roots love this stuff, and so do I an I!

YES! Learned this the hard way. I bought a bag of 'pre-rinsed' that was anything but. Then found out about the Cal/Mg issue way too late...so now I prep like this:

1.place coco in container with holes at bottom
2.rinse until clear
3.wait 20 mins
4.second rinse till clear
5.let sit full day (so its somewhat drier for precharge)
6.then i mix a gal with 15ml cal/mg+, 2ml Flora Nova grow & 5 drops superthrive, ph'd to 5.8
7.then I add perlite and while mixing I add the precharge a little at a time
8.while mixing, i stop every so often and 'dust' the top with Great White

Rebuilding the buffer after flush is key, basically the way i understand it is: The coco likes to hold on to the Ions of Ca and Mg so you must satisfy the coco before you can satisfy the roots.

I give everything at 5.8 always, water feedings always have a little cal/mg and hygrozyme in them.

Also, I clone straight into coco and I've gotten 100% success rate. When I got root aphids, I took a few clones of a mango that was a decent size teen, then cut the teen at the base and dipped into clonex, rolled it into Great White and stuck it into some coco, compacting around the cut just a bit to ensure contact. I put the little container into a dish with water in it so it would constantly wick water and the whole plant rooted without fuss. Roots love this stuff, and so do I an I!

Thanks for coming by Doc, what size coco brick are using for that gal of cal/magged water?

And is Great White some kind of mycorrhizae? I didn't know they worked in coco... cool. Nice save on the teenager, but do you still have to give her an allowance? :) :thumb:

Thanks for coming by Doc, what size coco brick are using for that gal of cal/magged water?

And is Great White some kind of mycorrhizae? I didn't know they worked in coco... cool. Nice save on the teenager, but do you still have to give her an allowance? :) :thumb:

Sorry I should have been more specific. I didn't use a brick but rather a bag of expanded 'pre-washed' coco coir. My memory's shot (surprise) but I think it was Canna brand, but I'm not positive. I remember the bag was black and i just looked up the canna stuff and its not black so unless they changed idk.

Either way, I'd suggest to mix at that rate, and make as much as you need. So if your doing a bunch, just make more gallons at the same concentration. I like it to be a little drier when I add the pre-charge so the water already present dosen't dilute it too much.

As for the Great White, yes its a mix of mycorrhizae, trichoderma and others. I used it on a recommendation, it seems to do its job of making roots happy, but I have nothing else to compare it to. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work in coco, maybe you're thinking of the Potassium levels? I should try a comparative and see whats what....
If you look at the pics of Cleopatra's roots in my current grow, that pic is 12 days in a 3 gal pot transplanted from a pint size pot. I didn't think roots could grow like that, and you can see the growth she got up top in the 4 days from 10/14-10/18, was just as good.

And yes, the teen still gets an allowance: 200w of LED 12hrs a day and all the nutes she can handle!(which isn't very much)

Sorry I should have been more specific. I didn't use a brick but rather a bag of expanded 'pre-washed' coco coir. My memory's shot (surprise) but I think it was Canna brand, but I'm not positive. I remember the bag was black and i just looked up the canna stuff and its not black so unless they changed idk.

Either way, I'd suggest to mix at that rate, and make as much as you need. So if your doing a bunch, just make more gallons at the same concentration. I like it to be a little drier when I add the pre-charge so the water already present dosen't dilute it too much.

As for the Great White, yes its a mix of mycorrhizae, trichoderma and others. I used it on a recommendation, it seems to do its job of making roots happy, but I have nothing else to compare it to. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work in coco, maybe you're thinking of the Potassium levels? I should try a comparative and see whats what....
If you look at the pics of Cleopatra's roots in my current grow, that pic is 12 days in a 3 gal pot transplanted from a pint size pot. I didn't think roots could grow like that, and you can see the growth she got up top in the 4 days from 10/14-10/18, was just as good.

And yes, the teen still gets an allowance: 200w of LED 12hrs a day and all the nutes she can handle!(which isn't very much)

Ahhh, Cleo the Contortionist, that is a pot full of roots :thumb: Have to dig a little deeper into the Great White. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom