GrowingGirls' Mystery Seed Growing Adventure Journal - 2010

So, it turns out that you really do need AT LEAST one square foot per plant in a scrog, as I've read many times. I knew I was pushing it when I put 8 plants in just under 7 sq ft. But, the result is that I've been making cannabutter all week with the small and under-lit buds I had to trim off. I did this on 3 separate days and made 3 small batches of cannabutter with quick-dried buds and small leaves (about 12 grams total) and now have my freezer stocked with potent (I tested!) Rice Krispie treats, brownies, and coconut bars.

This pic shows a huge scrog bud with several short ones next to it. Many of those little ones were chopped, but these are actually getting decent light...so they live, for now.

IMG02426-20100916-1804.jpg

After all the trimming, I really wanted to get a count on the remaining buds but it is really hard to count them. So I counted from to bottom instead. Each of those stems leads to a bud, and I counted 142! With everything I've cut off, that means I actually had about 200 buds before. I'm blowing my mind here...my previous estimates had it at maybe 160.

IMG02427-20100916-1805.jpg

I think I'll be harvesting Betty (formerly known as The Experiment) at 12 weeks, which is 12 days from today. I'm going to keep the nutes + molasses going for the next couple feedings and then start the molasses-only flush.

Her two main colas are enormous (one is as long as my lower arm, from elbow to fingertips...I shit you not) but they are very leafy and lacking density. I am not looking forward to trimming, so this harvest may be mostly made into hash. Been wanting to learn to do that anyway.

I'd like to see her plump up and get frostier. She does have quite a few pistils turning brown already. I'm going to check her trichs today, just out of curiosity (and because science is fun!). Her older fan leaves have started to show signs that she's nearing the end.

IMG02436-20100918-0858.jpg

IMG02439-20100918-0900.jpg

IMG02443-20100918-0901.jpg

IMG02444-20100918-0902.jpg

Hey GG!

That scrog looks absolutely beautiful! Your hard work sure looks like it's paying off there. I must admit that I've had a little trouble wrapping my head around the whole scrog arrangement. It just seems like each top has got to be given some amount of fan leaf exposure or they won't be able to create the sugar they need to grow.

It is clear that a scrog is one of the best (if not the best) way to maximize yield in a small area. Seeing what some folks have been able to pull off of just 1 or 2 plants in a scrog is really incredible.

Very interested to see how you do with hash making. I will have (I hope!) a bunch of material suitable for hash making in a couple of weeks. Gonna be looking for a deal on some bubble bags. Honestly, I have no idea how to go about using those. Must do some more reading!

Keep up the GOOD WORK!
:goodjob:

A closer inspection (first with the naked eye, then with the scope) revealed that two of the plants in the scrog might be ready for harvest before Betty, who went into flower 2 weeks earlier. It makes sense considering differences in lighting and space, but it still took me by surprise. The day has come when the scrog needs to be treated like 8 separate plants rather than one huge one; time to start molasses on the advanced ones.

Dude those are looking awesome!
And thats alot of cfl's there,500+ watts is alot...I am only at 100watts right now,lol...what size bulbs are you useing? Anyways,damn nice job so far!

Thanks! They are mostly 26 watt and some 23...about 20 bulbs total. It was 24 at one point, but I stole a few for my other grow.

It's covering about 7 square feet. It is a lot of watts per sq ft...but with those tops packed in tight, I need it.

How much area are you covering with your 100 watts?

Thanks! They are mostly 26 watt and some 23...about 20 bulbs total. It was 24 at one point, but I stole a few for my other grow.

It's covering about 7 square feet. It is a lot of watts per sq ft...but with those tops packed in tight, I need it.

How much area are you covering with your 100 watts?

Cool...
I am also useing the 26watt cfl's..mine are 2700k...well right now I have 3 26watt bulbs and 1 20 watt bulb,ya havent made it to h@medepot yet...but I am useing a big tote from walmart now,I think its 22 gallons or so,its not big at all...I realy done like playing with a mess of wires and bulbs so I am thinking about just getting 1-2 big cfl bulbs instead of useing all the small ones ect...just yesterday one of my cfls fell and burned up 2 seedling,so ya...once I get my check I will get some cool stuff to play with:)

Betty is at 11 weeks and her trichs are almost entirely cloudy, not a lot of clear left, but not really any amber yet either. But, I learned from the last plants that this strain just doesn't get much amber. I'm still unhappy with the lack of bud density, but it's also clear it isn't going to get much better over the next week.

She has a large percentage of shriveled brown pistils, but I'm waiting to see is she gets a final surge of new white ones.

The bloom room is wicked hot because the humidifier has been working overtime just to keep the RH at 55 (I'd like it lower, actually) thanks to two long days of rain. And, I might be adding a bunch of new light very soon because some plants from my other grow will be moving over next week.

I'm just resigned the the fact that I will be fighting the temps forever. :)

I had to flush the scrog yesterday. There were too many possible nute things starting to appear in different spots, and trying to figure them all out was impossible. It's still quite healthy overall. I decided that a good water flush followed by half-strength nutes and some cal-mag was my best bet.

Check out these freakin' HUGE curing jars I got FREE on Craigslist:

IMG02576-20100927-1347.jpg

Yo, peeps. I haven't had time for journaling lately, and it's probably time to wrap this one up anyway. I still have one soil plant growing but it's just the old mother plant I started flowering on 9/9.

IMG02720-20101019-1353.jpg

The scrog turned out fairly well and has been drying for a week now. A few days ago, it weighed in at 12 ounces. I'm expecting a half pound after more drying and trimming.

IMG02719-20101019-1352.jpg

High GrowingGirls

Is this grow journal still alive? Did you start another grow?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

We are moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!
:peacetwo:

Back
Top Bottom