GrowingGirls' Mystery Seed Growing Adventure Journal - 2010

loving the box GG very resourceful,if i can say one though becareful of having foil like that as the light reflected off them can burn your plants. and excellent news your humidity is coming down, still looking great though:goodjob:

Yep...I'm only using the dull side, and I'm keeping a close eye on them.

The HID has been the source of most of the little burns I've had so far. Had to raise it up again yesterday.

So, today's bad news is that I've got some nute buildup/burn. I've got PHed water ready to flush them with today. I'm not too worried.

The awesome news is that I found a dehumidifier on Craigslist that is selling for $15 because it doesn't have a bucket and can only be used with a hose...not a problem for me since I wanted to run it out to my floor drain anyway. The lady advertised it as part of her garage sale that's starting on Thursday, but she's letting me come and buy it today. HOORAY!!!!

RH dropped 8% within the first hour of dehumidification, and should be below 50 by the time I check again. Excellent.

Since I had the plants pulled out for flushing this morning, I took some individual pics:

IMG00354-20100622-1147.jpg

IMG00355-20100622-1152.jpg

IMG00356-20100622-1153.jpg

Obviously they're due for some tying, but it takes a few hours after watering for the tops to loosen up because they're so damn tall...I'm looking forward to whipping them into shape later this afternoon.

Are you doing LST while in flower? Thought your supposed to do it during Veg. They look really stretched would love to see you move to bubbles after this grow or after you grow them clones. You love cloning it seems or your looking to get as many healthy ladies as you can. Not bad for a random bagseed type grow keep it up, your steps ahead of me at least you started growing. Mind if i ask if your in one of them MMJ states? Send me a pm if you dont want to post that here :) as I dont live in one unfortunately. Great minds think a like I was thinking of using yarn too when performing my LST :)

Are you doing LST while in flower? Thought your supposed to do it during Veg.

Yes and yes. :)

I didn't know shit about LST when they were in veg, and I was just being generally lazy until I it dawned on me that I needed to flower because they were already too tall. Next time will be much different...I'm going to try to grow 8 of those clones together as short bushy plants that are LSTed to the extreme.

Yes and yes. :)

I didn't know shit about LST when they were in veg, and I was just being generally lazy until I it dawned on me that I needed to flower because they were already too tall. Next time will be much different...I'm going to try to grow 8 of those clones together as short bushy plants that are LSTed to the extreme.

Sounds good to me :cheer: any plans on getting some seeds from a seedbank so you know what to expect? Wish I had a basement to take advantage of.

Myzz, a basement is awesome for space but mine is a humidity nightmare.

I'm probably going to purchase seeds for my next grow after I get the big ladies finished up and get the current babies into the bloom room. I am going to keep one of these clones babies vegging as a mother plant, to be cloned and grown again someday in the future.

I don't even have the slightest clue what kind of seeds I want to get...I do a LOT of research about growing cannabis, but I haven't gotten into seed selection yet. Should be fun!

Here are some more photos from this morning, when I finished the training I was unable to complete before lights out yesterday.

So I had this huge budless area right in the middle of the big business...
IMG00384-20100623-0939.jpg

And I had what I imagine is trying to grow into a giganticola stuck in the corner away from the big light...
IMG00385-20100623-0940.jpg

So I flipped her around...
IMG00391-20100623-1033.jpg

And somewhat filled the hole.
IMG00393-20100623-1033.jpg

This other plant has the most awesome healthy green stalk, and as you can see it is bent like a motherfucker (see also first pic above, that big stalk is her) and nearly as thick as my pinky. This plant is also my current favorite because she has the healthiest leaves and her top (which I couldn't get into the pic because this bitch is fucking huge) is exploding.
IMG00388-20100623-0944.jpg

Looking good GG :thumb::thumb: The girls looks very happy. All I can recommend you do is get rid of the aluminum foil and the miracle gro.

Aluminum foil is really not very reflective at all. You're better off with some white paint or some mylar. I use mylar and I love the stuff, I got a big roll for about 20 bucks at the grow store.

I don't grow in soil and I don't know that much about it, but all I have heard from growers is miracle gro is no good. Although it seems that you are not having a problem with it. And obviously you can't just change your soil but maybe for a future grow think about changing soil.

I hope you don't mind my thoughts :smokin:

I don't mind at all, Reefa; thanks for the input!

I know the foil is crap...I just happened to have some scraps of it in the room and threw the reflectors up on a whim, knowing they are likely to be little or no help. I am still going to use Miracle Grow for the babies when I transplant them because I already have the pots ready with about 60% MG, 20% perlite, and 20% crushed expanded clay balls. I'll probably switch it up in the future, but at least until my first harvest I am on a really limited budget.

On that note, I've been adding up my expenses and so far I've spent $170 (besides the electric bill...oh god I don't even want to see it) on stuff for the moms and babies. Not too bad, but it would be significantly less if not for buying the wrong cups, domes I didn't actually need, too many fucking CFLs because I've been clumsy, a shitty therm/hydrometer that I had to replace, a timer that I discovered to be nonfunctional only after stupidly tossing the receipt, some stuff to suck moisture out of the room, and a new (used) dehumidifier when my old one busted. I'd have barely passed $100 (the majority of which has been for lighting/electrical stuff) without all those mishaps.

Grow and learn, grow and learn. You're going to see a much better situation when the little ones make it to flowering. :)

Hey y'all, I am going to research this right now but if anyone wants to throw in some input in the meantime, I'd appreciate it...

I need to make an exhaust system for the bloom room. Right now I've just got fans in there. That was working out until i got the new-old dehumidifier going yesterday...it puts out a fuckton of heat. Keeping the RH down to 45-50% means my temps can't get much below 90 during lights on. It actually got up to 95 this morning and the ladies were not happy.

Yes, I've been running without exhaust this whole time, thinking it might work. It's not working anymore. I just need to pull some heat off the HID and out into the main basement area. Any tips or tricks on how to do this easily and inexpensively are appreciated. I'm handy enough to do a little wiring if needed.

Hey y'all, I am going to research this right now but if anyone wants to throw in some input in the meantime, I'd appreciate it...

I need to make an exhaust system for the bloom room. Right now I've just got fans in there. That was working out until i got the new-old dehumidifier going yesterday...it puts out a fuckton of heat. Keeping the RH down to 45-50% means my temps can't get much below 90 during lights on. It actually got up to 95 this morning and the ladies were not happy.

Yes, I've been running without exhaust this whole time, thinking it might work. It's not working anymore. I just need to pull some heat off the HID and out into the main basement area. Any tips or tricks on how to do this easily and inexpensively are appreciated. I'm handy enough to do a little wiring if needed.

Well my though making it simple enough one thing you need is an area where a inline could push the air, and what I did was go to home depot get a 6" Y hookup where one of the lines goes to the lamp sucking air and the other is just sucking air from the top of the room, I do not run a filter that is up to you but that is what I do. The bottom of the Y connects to the fan and then more ducting and a flange to where u are pushing the air out. Any questions let me know :0

SG

Thank you yet again for the advice, SG!

Just got back from Home Depot where I ended up spending over $90 on all the stuff I need for this...goddammit. I know it's all money well spent, but it's also not money I really have at the moment. $30 of that was for a jigsaw, since I didn't have anything with which to cut a hole in the wall. I'm going to assemble what I can tonight and install it first thing in the morning when the bloom room lights come on.

My plants look like absolute shit. Just about every single leaf problem imaginable has appeared, and a ton of this just showed up today. The ladies were apparently really pissed about how hot it got in there and how fast and how low the humidity dropped. I'm really worried. I thought I just had some nute burn so I flushed them yesterday...I was hoping they'd be looking better today, not worse.

I have to get this stabilized tomorrow so I can escape and relax all weekend. I'm terrified that my girls are going to be ruined...the leaves look awful. I know this isn't rational, but I fear there is a disaster pending.

Yes, I am freaking the fuck out.

EDIT: Disregard freakout. I smoked a bowl, assembled and tested the fan, ate some ice cream, and also realized that I might not need the saw.

Back
Top Bottom