GrowingGirls' Mystery Seed Growing Adventure Journal - 2010

I knocked the shelves out of the back wall of the clones' room this morning so that I could re-orient the rack and actually have space to go in the room and close the door. Lots more left to do in that room to make it great for vegging, but it'll work for today. Bonus: feeling great from the physical labor! And as you can see from the last pic, putting them in clear cups and then putting those in the blue cups was an accidental great idea...I lifted the biggest one out for a quick check and found roots visible through the cup. Yay!

IMG00237-20100616-1122.jpg

IMG00235-20100616-1115.jpg

IMG00236-20100616-1117.jpg

Things look like they're going pretty good. Can't wait to watch the ladies grow!!

Since the clones all now have roots and are officially vegging plants, I ditched the tubes for some CFLs. This new arrangement isn't holding heat in the tent as well though, probably because it's actually a bit less wattage than before (more will be added) and because these lights are hanging and have space above them, whereas the tube fixtures were tied to a shelf and didn't have much for space above them.

They still haven't gone to 18/6 because my brand new timer failed. Argh. It's not a big deal in veg, but I'm annoyed anyway. But this and the temp issue will be fixed tonight.

The big ladies were LSTed (and supercropped in a few spots) today with no major incidents. Pics of that coming later; there's a bit more work to do. The only pic I took today was of the little ones...

IMG00243-20100617-1025.jpg

Since the clones all now have roots and are officially vegging plants, I ditched the tubes for some CFLs. This new arrangement isn't holding heat in the tent as well though, probably because it's actually a bit less wattage than before (more will be added) and because these lights are hanging and have space above them, whereas the tube fixtures were tied to a shelf and didn't have much for space above them.

They still haven't gone to 18/6 because my brand new timer failed. Argh. It's not a big deal in veg, but I'm annoyed anyway. But this and the temp issue will be fixed tonight.

The big ladies were LSTed (and supercropped in a few spots) today with no major incidents. Pics of that coming later; there's a bit more work to do. The only pic I took today was of the little ones...

IMG00243-20100617-1025.jpg

Moving right along GrowingGirls... I'm curious about the super cropping. How'd you do that? :goodjob:

Moving right along GrowingGirls... I'm curious about the super cropping. How'd you do that? :goodjob:

This is not official advice as I don't even know if I did it right...but I guess if it worked (and it did!), I didn't do it wrong. Last week I watched a short video on how to do it, but didn't really remember much by the time I did this yesterday.

1. Pick a branch. Nothing too fat or too skinny. Mine were all ones that needed to have the tops lowered but that couldn't be conveniently LSTed.

2. Decide where on the branch you want to bend it. I can't explain except to say I pushed down in different places along the branch to see what felt right to me.

3. Loosen it up by twisting/turning/flopping in every direction, just not far enough to crack it.

4. Pinch the spot where you want to make your bend between your thumb and finger just until you feel it give way.

5. Bend 'er down. Prop up with a fan leaf or another stem or whatever if the bend is too big or misplaced such that it hangs too low. Toothpick and tape splint if you overdo it.

I'll try to get some close-ups of my results and post them later.

OH! forgot to mention that the plants should be recently watered for maximum flexibility.

My canopy is getting more even and more beautiful every day:

IMG00253-20100618-1013.jpg

Added another bulb to the babies:

IMG00243-20100617-10251.jpg

I've also been prepping the soil mix into which the babes will be transplanted soon. It's about 60% regular Miracle Grow potting soil, 20% Perlite, and 20% smashed-up expanded clay balls. I'm moistening it with tap water that was PH adjusted with lemon juice.

I've been suspecting inaccuracies in my temp and RH readings, which I confirmed by putting both meters into the same room. So, I went to Home Depot today and bought two matching digital ones they had on clearance for $7 each. Love 'em.

Looking great GG, have to watch out for that Miracle grow sometimes though because of the already added nutes in the soil, that what I hear atleast.. all looks well though good job :)

SG

Picture time!

Screwing around with tucking/twisting/turning leaves at the bottom. I've stopped trying to light the bottom of the plants, as I think the wattage is better used on the flowers on top...but I still can't stop myself from messing with them.

IMG00267-20100618-2030.jpg

IMG00269-20100618-2031.jpg

This is the one that I broke the top off of last week:

IMG00271-20100618-2122.jpg

A nicely healed repair:

IMG00277-20100618-2134.jpg

The strongest clones:

IMG00292-20100618-2216.jpg

IMG00287-20100618-2211.jpg

And one not-so-great clone. She's "special"...

IMG00295-20100618-2247.jpg

My dehumidifier was having trouble getting the job done, so I painted with Drylok yesterday. It's been raining for weeks here and even though I don't actually have water in the basement, it's getting damp. Of course, after painting I managed to get the dehumidifier working again.

IMG00322-20100619-1553.jpg

Discovered on the wall in the clone room...this was never visible until I knocked out the shelves.

IMG00323-20100619-1608.jpg

Spider eggs just discovered under the shelves in the bloom room. I actually don't like to kill spiders in my basement because they eat other bugs, but they need to pick a different area to do their business!

IMG00327-20100619-2002.jpg

My dehumidifier died. Well, it didn't die, but it'll only run for about a minute at a time and then shut off even if it's on the most dry or "always on" setting. It's like it's shutting itself off because it doesn't know where to put the water or something...but the bucket's fine, everything's connected...and it doesn't work with the hose either.

This is very very bad...it got up to almost 80% humidity in the flowering room overnight. Right now all I can do is keep the fan going and put out bowls of DampRid and scour Craigslist for cheap dehumidifiers for sale.

Any tips on what else I can do while I'm waiting to get another dehumidifier would be appreciated.

Any carbonate product such as lime, calcium carbonate, sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), any hydroxide such as sodium hydroxide (draino), potassium hydroxide (ice melt), calcium hydroxide (mothers pickeling salt), Calcium Chloride (another Ice melt chemical) bags of concrete, sodium phosphate. Broken up sheet rock (plaster board) . These are all chemicals or products that are relatively cheap and love to draw moisture out of the air.

An easy method is just google the words, "hygroscopic chemical list". It will give you a list of a huge bunch of things that love to draw moisture. If worse comes to worse disposable diapers use hydroscopic chemicals in their padding and liners (polysodium acrylate) to hold so much water

Any carbonate product such as lime, calcium carbonate, sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), any hydroxide such as sodium hydroxide (draino), potassium hydroxide (ice melt), calcium hydroxide (mothers pickeling salt), Calcium Chloride (another Ice melt chemical) bags of concrete, sodium phosphate. Broken up sheet rock (plaster board) . These are all chemicals or products that are relatively cheap and love to draw moisture out of the air.

An easy method is just google the words, "hygroscopic chemical list". It will give you a list of a huge bunch of things that love to draw moisture. If worse comes to worse disposable diapers use hydroscopic chemicals in their padding and liners (polysodium acrylate) to hold so much water

Thank you Langa! I had about 50 pounds of calcium chloride ice melt left over from winter, so I spread that out on the floor where it's dampest along the foundation. I'm pretty sure I have a partial bag of concrete mix in the garage; I'll throw that down too. And I stocked up on baking soda.

I've got it just under 60% in the bloom room now. The clones are still nearly 70%. Not happy with either of these numbers yet. And even if they do get down where I want them, it'll all go to hell overnight.

So frustrating...but I'll get it figured out.

I put the little ones in a new home this morning...a smaller rack covered with a hacked-up box. I like this a lot better, and I think they do too. I know they'll outgrow this when I transplant them, but I've been holding off because it's taking awhile for the last few to get enough roots. They'll be transplanted next week after I return from my long weekend away. Or, maybe I'll do the best ones this week and the slow ones next week.

IMG00336-20100621-1124.jpg

Lamest reflectors ever, I know...they were a spur-of-the-moment thing this morning when I found some foil scraps in the room. But the point of these two photos (and sorry for the quality...it's impossible with those lights) is to illustrate that my canopy is losing its evenness and the ladies need some serious training. However, the humidity issue has contributed to keeping the soil moist, so I can't water yet...but they're not wet and bendy enough to LST right now. I've got the RH down to 58% right now, I know that's not good enough, but it's been slowly but steadily declining. I bet they'll be ready to drink tomorrow.

IMG00335-20100621-1121.jpg

IMG00332-20100621-1119.jpg

Also, I may have found a decent dehumidifier for $40 on craigslist...just waiting to hear back from the guy. In the meantime, I haven't yet exhausted my arsenal of humidity-sucking materials.

Back
Top Bottom