Gunja's Back to Basics 600w HH & Bagseed

gunja

Hello All. Have been away from this forum for quite some time. I know this sounds stupid but I have been having trouble getting seeds past the cotyledon stage using rockwool and coco. Think I was getting a bit ahead of myself with germination techniques and medium etc, soooo for this grow i'm going right back to the start and going to plug away in soil until I feel im comfortable growing with this medium. I have laid down 3 seeds of Hollands Hope in seed raising mix and 7 random seeds in the same medium, straight in the soil no fancy schmancy germ in paper towel for me :ganjamon: I have seen these seeds grown outdoors and they look great.

I have also tried to simplify my setup as well. Due to it being summer (well, as summer as it can be with the el nino in effect here) my grow tent was getting beyond 30c even with 2 duct fans. So I've decided to ditch the tent and just use the framing with 600w MH hung from that.

setup34.jpg

Plant in photo is a donor from my brother which is the same as the random seeds I'm using.

lstinitial.jpg

some LST action, I just can't resist :cool:

seedlings15.jpg

seeds 5 days after they were put in soil. Interestingly, i feel these seeds have progressed quicker being planted straight into soil rather than allow to germ first in a damp paper towel. Oh yea 100% germ rate.

repotdclosup.jpg

finally an overview of where im at right now with plant being repotted in 4.5gal container (DAY 5 VEG)

Light schedule is 18/6 and my final soil mix is straight potting mix from the local DIY store (Nice and simple) I think its quite old so hopefully its not too hot.

Any ideas or comments welcome

Little ones are about 12 days along, progressing slowly. Repotted into 1.2gal pots today.

Trying a bit of an experiment too. --- I repotted 4 plants using a teaspoon of "rootblast" which is suppost to double or treble root growth of which I am a little skeptical. Two of those plants also have some dolomite lime mixed into the soil and the rest are control plants, won't be very conclusive as they are not clones and will grow at different rates but might offer a little insight as to which is the best way to go.

and now some pics....

IMG_07863.jpg
IMG_07855.jpg

heres some LST shots...

IMG_07886.jpg
IMG_07913.jpg

before and after repot

20 DAYS FROM SEED

Everything seems fine in growroom. Biggest plant is showing sex and is male unfortunately. Will be keeping for a while longer so i can get some clones to practice on then ill rip him. Temp peaks at about 81f if i don't open the door in the afternoon. RH sits around 50% gave them first water of 350ppm GrowZilla onepart formula

PICS

male36.jpg

heres the male, you can see some of the fan leaves are curling from when i went away last weekend and forgot to water... some of the lats are coming thru nice for my cloning attempts..

bagseed3.jpg
hh1.jpg

Random bagseed on left and Hollands Hope on right

over1.jpg

overview

hey all. My Rhizotonic arrived in the mail today so i thought id have another crack at cloning. I think Rhizo is quite similar to hygrozyme. So i loaded up my bubbler with 6 clones and weel see if i can make it work.

Bubbler

Tap water @ 35ppm
add 3ml/litre of Rhizo
then pH'd to 5.9ish

Water temp 70

Its about 78 degrees in the growroom so im hoping the temp doesn't get too high in the bubbler or i might have to move it elsewhere and put it under a 45watt cfl. Ill check on this in the morning.

IMG_08215.jpg
IMG_08223.jpg

IMG_08234.jpg
IMG_08243.jpg

Ill take some pics of the other plants in the morning with the light off. See ya all tomorrow

Quick update on the clones.

Well after 3 hours in growroom @ 3ft from 600w MH with plastic bag on top of humidity dome and evaporative cooler on, clones ALL wilted badly. room temp 78f.

I think it was the cooler that did it as my humidity dome has cracks and a few small holes in it from when i droped a fan on it and glued back together .

Since then I have moved clones into a closet with 2x 4000k t5 fluros (28w total) within 2 hours they have all perked up and im pretty sure water temps will be around the 68-70 mark. I am really glad i had a look before i left to go out for the night as im sure if i left them to when i wanted to check them they would all be in a very worse state. HAHA who can resist looking at their babies one final time? Lesson learned clones NEED their own space!!

and now we play the waiting game....

Well clones are doing ok now, two are wilting slightly but not too bad. Checked res temps and they were down around the 60 mark so i turned the heater on to get it back up to 70. pH had gone up to 6.3 so i set that back at 5.9.

Following pics are from 27 days veg...

runt4.jpg
tallest_tb.jpg

Runt on the left and tallest bagseed on right. Im thinking about pulling the runt later on

big_hh.jpg
nice_tb.jpg

Biggest Hollands Hope on left and a nice looking bagseed on right

overview31.jpg

Maybe the three at the back have male looking phenos? All bagseed...

Hi all, well due to security reasons i have decided to move grow into the attic. I will be posting a step by step of what i have done in case any one else wants to do this or if any one has any suggestions to improve setup!
rsz_1untitled.jpg

This is my proposed plan im off to the hardware store today to get some framing. I won't need much as many of the supports are already in place.

Im going to staple panda film to the bracing to make the walls with an intake fan at bottom sucking through a vent that i have reversed in a bedroom (was origionally for heat transfer system) and will be exhausting via carbon filter into ceiling...

Lookin good so far bro.. some ppl have heat problems in their attic, what's the normal ambient temp of your attick? otherwise u look good :goodjob:

Lookin good so far bro.. some ppl have heat problems in their attic, what's the normal ambient temp of your attick? otherwise u look good :goodjob:

hey Drojo thanks for stopping by! Ambient temps are my main concern. Im going back up there later this morning so ill take my temp meter up with me and get a reading. Im hoping the forced air intake from bedroom with window open and managing light timing for optimal temp will be enough to cool things down. I fear a cooled air hood may be necessary though...

Hmmmmm, we'll see after the ambient temps.. hopefully it wont be that bad ;)

Ok got some temp readings.....

7:30am ---> 58.5
10:00am ---> 72
11:30am ---> 78
1:30pm ---> 86
3:30pm ---> 90
6:30pm ---> 77

minimum during the night was 56. rH was between 30% -- 50%

The day these temps were measured was closer to the end of summer 1ft from the top of the roof with absolutely no clouds and it was a pretty hot day and no clouds either for night temp so i believe these to be the extremes i will get apart from winter where ill definitely need a heater

Ok got some temp readings.....

7:30am ---> 58.5
10:00am ---> 72
11:30am ---> 78
1:30pm ---> 86
3:30pm ---> 90
6:30pm ---> 77

minimum during the night was 56. rH was between 30% -- 50%

The day these temps were measured was closer to the end of summer 1ft from the top of the roof with absolutely no clouds and it was a pretty hot day and no clouds either for night temp so i believe these to be the extremes i will get apart from winter where ill definitely need a heater

You might have to inverse your lighting schedule and perhaps have lights on during the nite and lights off during the day. Cause 86-90 ambient can easily = over 100 degrees w/lights on depending on what lighting your using. Just a thought tho ;)

You might have to inverse your lighting schedule and perhaps have lights on during the nite and lights off during the day. Cause 86-90 ambient can easily = over 100 degrees w/lights on depending on what lighting your using. Just a thought tho ;)

thanx drojo think i will end up going with the inversed light schedule.

PROGRESS

well have started work in the attic as you can see its filthy

Step One: Get power to attic and setup a work light

IMG_08483.jpg

conviently there was an old chimney which i just ran an extension cord through.

Step Two: Smoke a fat doobie

Step Three: Clean everything cobwebs etc

Step Four: Get framing up for panda film

IMG_08474.jpg

Step Five Install fans and ducting:

IMG_08513.jpg
IMG_08532.jpg

Exhaust and Intake

Step Six remove protruding objects

IMG_08494.jpg
IMG_08563.jpg

Spot the difference :ganjamon:

Things still to do * Lay Mdf floor
* Clean everything again
* A liberal dose of pesticide
* Staple panda to framing
* Install 600w light

* Lets get growing!!

Day 27 Veg

Well plants are chuging along nicely going to up the feeding to 600ppm next water.

Clones have been in bubler for 7 days now and no sign of roots yet. Sigh...
Changed water in bubbler today with 3ml/l rhizo and pH 6.1 @ 69 degrees.

IMG_08602.jpg

I have almost finished work in new grow room. All that is left to do is panda front wall, add a door and put hooks in for light

Step 7 put down the floor

IMG_08582.jpg

If i was going to do it again i would put the floor down 1st so i had something decent to stand on

Step 8 Panda away!!

IMG_08623.jpg
IMG_08635.jpg

Back
Top Bottom