Heat

novice101

i have a 2 by 4 by 5 foot tent in my closet with a 1000wt lighting system, how the heck can i keep it cool enough to grow? i have holes for 2 6 in fans, in which i have one fan thats sucks out the air, and then holes for 2 4 inch at bottom that are just pulling in air from the outside. is this possible to do or am i going to produce too much heat.

a 1000 watt light is WAY overkill for a 2 by 4 tent. Plus seeing as the tent is only 5 feet tall you could never keep the lights far enough away so they do not burn.

You need a bigger tent or a smaller light.

With a 2 by 4 tent I personally would just get a 4 or 6 bulb t5 ho floro fixture. Switching the bulbs from 6500k to veg then 2700k to flower.

I know some use atinic bulbs along with very specialized spectrum ones for flowering with t5. But the 2700 or 3000k spectrum bulbs would work just fine.

The heat from that would be manageable. Or look into LED lights that would work too.

HPS and MH in that small of a tent sounds rediculous and impossible. Especially 1000watt ones.

i did the t5 thing with my last grow and it just doesnt produce the buds that i desire. i have since put in a cooled light reflector which is hooked up to the 6in fan and ducting. i also have a 24in windtunnel fan that is actually blowing in the tent as well, during the day i normally am able to keep the tent and closet open as to help with the heat. i am growing some sour D, tora bora, chem dawg and my new strain, milf berry. they seem to be doing alright since i opened it up some. now, do you think ill get a bigger yield with the 1000wt light opposed to say a 400-600 wt light?

what about a 600wt light instead?

even a 600 watt is double the amount needed.

a 600watt is idea for a 4by4 space and fairly sufficient for a 5 by 5.

using it in a 2 by 4 is kinda crazy. I would think that buying 2 smaller LED lights would cover the 2 by 4 nicely and not give you heat problems, or as I said before getting some 4 foot t5 ho lights.

If you really really really insist on putting MH and HPS lights in your 2 by 4 tent then you should get two smaller lamps like 150 watts each to better cover then whole length of the 4 feet.

CFL can produce equally nice Buds both in quality and size if used correctly. But if you really just hate floros, given the small size of your grow spot i highly suggest using 2 LED panels or UFOs each one to cover a 2 by 2 foot area in your tent. However if you really hate that idea get two 150 or 200 watt MH/HPS fixtures with a switchable ballast to go from MH for veg and HPS for flower.

thank you for your response. i ended up ordering a dimable600wt ballast. this way i can use either 6,4,150wt bulbs. i grew with cfl the last few times and i just dont get the buds that i want. they were more thin and wispy, but maybe that is just me growing it with them and not the lights themselves... im hoping that with the MH/HPS i can produce large buds worthy of noticing. i have been reading that you need 50 wt per sq ft and that would leave me with a 400wt.... but that 70+ is optimal,, is this right? im gonna keep everyone posted on this.

!kw light will dry ya bud real quick...but you got to get the bud first, 8 sq ft is best done on a 250W Mh for veg then 200w HPS with a couple of supplementaries for coverage, at this level 1x 4" vent is all thats required, dump the 1kw light, as it will give you great hassle sooner or later

peace
"V"

Hey mate, i Agree with these guys on this one. 1000w is alot of light/heat for that space.. I have a 4.5ft/w x 2.5ft deep x 9fthigh.
I ran a 400w MH and HPS in there and it was fine, my light is on a track so i can move left/right etc; but yeah.. I m using a 600w this time, temps are fine still, you need to move the air in there around at least a fair bit, direct heat-light straight on a plant without fan in between is askin for trouble IMO..So having vent holes are neccessary, id place an extraction fan at the top holeand one reversed on bottom so its drawing in air, few fans and you should be ok. Even if you have to unzip tent for an hour or so time to time, better than causing damage.. Goodluk and Happy Harvesting;)

250 watts of HID, air cooled, is the best for your tent. 400 watts will get it too hot inside. Air cool the light separate from from exhausting the tent to get the best cooling. Speaking from small tent experience, but just my opinion of course.

Good luck to you!

i thank all of you for the info.. i do have a 6in inline fan connected to my enclosed reflector hood, with cool air coming in and the opposite ducting going out a window. i have a 20 in whirl wind fan set on low that is placed underneath my aero set up pointing upward that is pushing air out the flaps at the top which i leave open. again, isnt it correct that i need 50 wts per sq ft? that would leave me at 400wt min. i think what im gonna do is just move my tent in my spare bedroom and open the top up to let the heat rise out and go from there.. atm im not having to deal with any heat issues but who knows... another question i have about 8 plants atm in my aero set up.. most of my plants are doing great but i have two tora bora's in there and their leaves are droopy, its only about 85 degrees in the tent so im not thinking heat at this point. has anyone grown tora bora before? are they naturally like this being that they are a pure indica?

Back
Top Bottom