Heavyweight Fast & Vast Auto - Soil & CFL - First Grow

landlocked

First off, a huge thanks to the 420mag family for the copious amount of knowledge on this site and numerous grow journals. I began my research last October, looking at every journal I could find and taking notes, and I really mean taking notes. I have a spiral notebook full of every light combo, costs/gram breakdown, estimated grow times, etc. :thanks:

Since this was my first grow, and a microgrow at that, I decided to keep it simple and go with a soil auto flower grow.

From all of the reviews and journals I have seen, the Fast & Vast Auto was sure to not disappoint. I ordered my seed from Herbie's. I got my seeds delivered in a pack of beads to my University (off-campus) mailbox. Very stealth and I recommend them 100%. I moved out of the University housing and now have the grow in my closet in a large rubbermaid.

What strain is it? Heavyweight Fast & Vast Autoflower Feminized
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? Indica 80% / Sativa 20%
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Flower
If in Veg... For how long? N/A Autoflower
If in Flower stage... For how long?
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil, 60% FFOF 40% Perlite
If soil... what is in your mix? FFOF, Perlite, 2 cups Worm Castings
If soil... What size pot? 3 Gallon
Size of light? 207 W CFL
Is it aircooled? No
Temp of Room/cab? 78/68
RH of Room/cab? 30%
PH of media or res? No idea
Any Pests? Nope, just the stray cat hair
How often are you watering? As needed, about every other day
Type and strength of ferts used? General Organics 100%, this plant is a heavy feeder. I usually fertilize once a week at 100% but don't use it all, so I do another watering at 25%. Just plain off-gassed tap water the third watering. I'm lucky to have amazing water here.

Heavyweight Fast & Vast Autoflowering Feminised

Genetics : Afghani x Skunk x White Dwarf
Type : Indica 80%, Sativa 20%
CBD : 0.8%
THC : 17-19%
Flowering time : Autoflowering
Harvest : Approximately 8 weeks from germination
Plant Height : 100m-120cm
Yield : 600-800gr/m2

I germinated the seed using the paper towel method on Jan 23, took two days for the tap root to show. When root was 2cm long, I placed in a shallow hole in soil and lightly covered it. The next day it broke the surface and the day after that was 2" tall. I had the seedling under a mason jar to keep humidity up. That was the only issue I have had with the plant so far, low humidity in seedling and vegetative stage, but didn't seem to effect the plant whatsoever. During the first few weeks, I had worm castings on top of the soil to soak in during waterings. I made two batches of worm poop tea for Week 2 and Week 3.

IMG_68995.jpg
IMG_6902.PNG
IMG_69045.jpg
IMG_69083.jpg
IMG_69134.jpg
IMG_69174.jpg

It was agony literally watching the seedling grow before my eyes, but day by day, the plant grew bigger and bigger. By Week 3 I was seeing noticeable growth every day.

IMG_69232.jpg
IMG_69262.jpg

IMG_69344.jpg

I had taken a trip over a weekend and came back to crazy new growth.
IMG_69896.jpg
IMG_70045.jpg
IMG_70056.jpg

Here is my baby currently, two days into Week 5. Starting in Week 4, I began giving 50% flowering nutes in addition to the veg nutes. That really kicked things into gear and have been budding. The girlfriend and I tied her down mid way through Week 4 to get more light to the lower branches. The plant is making my entire room smell, though I like it. Nag Champa helps, but I also have a 200g Moso Air Purifying Bag

IMG_70115.jpg
IMG_70125.jpg
IMG_70155.jpg
IMG_70273.jpg
IMG_70281.jpg
IMG_70292.jpg
IMG_70331.jpg
IMG_70343.jpg

Hope you all continue to stop by and see the progress. I'm hoping to update every day or two. I have a word doc outlining everything I have done, so let me know if that is of any interest to you.

Thought I'd show my grow set up. Its simple and was made with stuff I had lying around, but I did have to fork out dough for the lights. I did NOT want to skimp on lights since I'm using CFLs.

The Rubbermaid was used to store camping gear for a long time, but recently built a rack to organize the gear, so the rubbermaid got turned into a go cabinet! Dimensions inside the grow room is 20" x 16" x 38.5"

I lined the entire thing with foil, but I'll paint after this grow. The foil, though it works fine, is a bit noisy with the fan on. Its in my closet, about 5' from my bed, so I hear the fan humming already, add the crinkle of foil, and its less than ideal.

My girlfriend gave me a small fan, about 16" tall, but only 4" around. It oscillates and moves air extremely well!

I have cut some holes in strategic locations for venting and fresh air. When my plant was just a seedling, temps were up a little high for my taste. Cut some holes low to get cool air and some up high to exhaust the hot air. Its a totally passive system, no inline anything. Temps aren't too bad, usually averaging 68°/80°.

I have four CFL's on two splitters plugged into a surge protector, plugged into the timer. 197 total watts. (1) 85W, (1) 60W, (2) 26W. Estimated lumens: 11,900 . The one 85 and one 26 are 500K and the other 26 and 60 are at 3700K.

Fan is blowing 24/7.

I have a Moso bag hanging, but at times it is not enough. Looking to get an ONA, but I'm slightly worried that the weed will take in some of the scent. My buddy got some medicine one time that smelled and tasted like dryer sheets. It was pretty disturbing, I didn't even try it.

IMG_70612.jpg
IMG_70623.jpg
IMG_70632.jpg

Let me know what you think.

:volcano-smiley:

Just re-did my math and got 197 W, not 207 as I previously thought. The reason I'm a history major and not a math major..

i think your doing super , one picture freaked me a bit , she looked too green and a bit of claw ( too much Nitrogen ) but in your last picture she seems to be ok again,

super duper work :thumb::goodjob:

Thanks! I was definitely a bit worried about the downturning of the tips. It was isolated to the door side, so it may be caused by being too wide for the space.

The very last photo in the first post-- is that normal for new leaves coming off of the bud site? That is the only thing slightly concerning me at the moment. She is cut off from N as it is, there is probably more than there should be in the soil from the top dressing and teas that I did early on..

Everything looks great my friend!!

Don't be worried, her new growth looks fine, a little bit of curling on the new growth is nothing to be concerned about. I find lots of the new growth on my vegging ladies twisting and turning in very peculiar ways and it always seems to work itself out.

Keep up the good work, I am subbed and will be here to the finish! Can't wait to see her produce for you. :cheesygrinsmiley:

LandLockd is gonna be couchlocked! Looking good partner! Everyone always comes up with such clever ideas...I love the improvisation, whatever works! I'm currently wishing that I would have used bigger pots for my Autos but maybe next time! She looks great- good job!

Trig

+reps

Everything looks great my friend!!

Don't be worried, her new growth looks fine, a little bit of curling on the new growth is nothing to be concerned about. I find lots of the new growth on my vegging ladies twisting and turning in very peculiar ways and it always seems to work itself out.

Keep up the good work, I am subbed and will be here to the finish! Can't wait to see her produce for you. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Awesome, thanks for the reassurance. +reps

So while working on my plant this morning, I kind of F'ed up a bit.. :oops:

I was doing some LST as the main bud site was a little close to the CFL and the tip of one leaf got a little crispy. The other biggest branch was also getting a bit too close for comfort. I tied her down and as I was putting her back in, I noticed this:
IMG_70653.jpg

I am thinking tape it and pray she heals up? The crack is only on the upper 1/3 of the branch.. I still have a few weeks to go and I think she should be able to recover, but at the cost of smaller buds on this branch. There is the off chance that it may be an inadvertent super cropping, so I'm somewhat hopeful, even though super cropping is not recommended on autos..

Thoughts?

Close the wound back up and tie that branch to the main stem if you can she should be fine.

Agreed, have had that happen a couple times now. I like to tie up tears like that with Twine or Hemp Wick (we have a ton of it around cause we use it to light our bowls) and really make sure it's stable with a solid wrap job.

Had a little lady outside this summer and while everyone was away it starting raining and hailing real bad, rushed home to move her inside bud the weight from the rains and hail had taken he two largest branches and split them apart down to the stalk... I thought for sure both branches were done for, but I wrapped it up real tight with some Hemp Wick and it healed itself by the end of the grow, and it actually looked like it never even happened.

Cannabis is super resilient, I would take Subnoises advice and try to tie it up so there isn't so much weight on that joint for a while :cheesygrinsmiley: no biggie my friend, we live and we learn!

Agreed, have had that happen a couple times now. I like to tie up tears like that with Twine or Hemp Wick (we have a ton of it around cause we use it to light our bowls) and really make sure it's stable with a solid wrap job.

Had a little lady outside this summer and while everyone was away it starting raining and hailing real bad, rushed home to move her inside bud the weight from the rains and hail had taken he two largest branches and split them apart down to the stalk... I thought for sure both branches were done for, but I wrapped it up real tight with some Hemp Wick and it healed itself by the end of the grow, and it actually looked like it never even happened.

Cannabis is super resilient, I would take Subnoises advice and try to tie it up so there isn't so much weight on that joint for a while :cheesygrinsmiley: no biggie my friend, we live and we learn!

Thanks Max and Sub, I taped the wound, tied and supported it up! It was good that happened, two of my lights were about to fall. The socket to plug adapter with lights attached was about to come unplugged. Zip tied it up and good to go now. '

Just smoked some awesome sativa and time to Netflix for a few hours.

Subbed! Looking great man. Love the space. I personally use ona and enjoy it. I never use it for long durations or close to the box though. But I have my diy scrub for that. Which could be a cheap option to help a bit of smell. Only gonna get worse from here. :)

Only going to get * better * from here, is what you meant too say :cheesygrinsmiley: :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom