Hello and help

Ok so I'm thinking I'll get a coir brick or 2 and maybe some perlite to mix equal parts coco, perlite and that soil I have already.. Or get pro mix HP mycorizzhae and use that. Is that the right HP mix to use? Are those compressed peat blocks any good for cannabis? Would soil and coco be enough without the perlite?

Ok so I'm thinking I'll get a coir brick or 2 and maybe some perlite to mix equal parts coco, perlite and that soil I have already.. Or get pro mix HP mycorizzhae and use that. Is that the right HP mix to use? Are those compressed peat blocks any good for cannabis? Would soil and coco be enough without the perlite?
There’s all kinds of stuff. There’s new coco blocks that you plant right in the block. Sweet huh!

You should go with whatever is closest to real soil, as it leaves less room for error.

I regularly see new growers on these forums having problems with their plants growing in coco coir.

I am sure the medium is useful for people who really have everything dialed in, but it seems to be more finicky with watering and nutrition for beginners.

Soil is more intuitive, especially for folks like me who had experience with other plants before being able to grow weed.

It seems like the pro mix hp has alot of coir in it, not sure if I should mix the soil i have with coco or mix coco with a different potting soil or just use hp, but the hp doesn't seem to have nutrients in it? I wanna use soil but don't wanna go to composting extremes rn or use bugs in the room it's in, not sure of ways to deal with pests if they occur later.

It seems like the pro mix hp has alot of coir in it, not sure if I should mix the soil i have with coco or mix coco with a different potting soil or just use hp, but the hp doesn't seem to have nutrients in it? I wanna use soil but don't wanna go to composting extremes rn or use bugs in the room it's in, not sure of ways to deal with pests if they occur later.
I was referring more to growing in pure coco coir, which seems to cause problems for beginners though I am sure some people do it successfully.

Try growing something cheap — like tomato seeds — in different cannabis-oriented soils to get a hang of the watering, etc.

Yep. They're called that here too. We used to go "to the co-op" to get things when I was a kid. Just outside Hamilton, so pretty close to Toronto.
I grocery shop at a co-op. Lol.

I would do coco if your going to do coco. But I’m going to let you know that I think it would be easier for you to grow in Pro mix HP. It is very forgiving. And yes Pro Mix HP is great. You can use that or pro mix hp cc is what I use. It has coco in it. I just made a switch to coots but I can tell you pro mix will be a simple grow.

I was referring more to growing in pure coco coir, which seems to cause problems for beginners though I am sure some people do it successfully.

Try growing something cheap — like tomato seeds — in different cannabis-oriented soils to get a hang of the watering, etc.
I started with hot peppers. They have the same growing conditions and nutrient requirements as weed (in veg), and are just as sensitive to over watering.

I'll second the suggestion for Black Swallow Soil in Brantford. They even have their own soil mix ready to use. Don't know about shipping costs though as they ship via CanPost or if you are local, they do have pickup service.

Back
Top Bottom