Hello and help

Where do you think would be the best, cheapest place to get perlite and coco in Ontario Canada, besides on amazon? Or other better soil?
I don't have thermometers in there so I'm not sure what the temps are at, also what would be a good ph tester/ way to adjust the ph? Are grow shops around cheaper/ better than amazon?

landscape and garden supply places are good. i got 2 1/2 yrs worth of perlite for $30 - 110L bale.

Perhaps I’m just speaking as someone with an abundance of seed, but what would be the point? The OP could start from scratch and end up with better plants than these in less time than trying to rehabilitate them. I guess if it’s rare genetics or the only seeds available, it’d be worth a shot, but otherwise more effort than it’s worth.

if your banging out your own seeds it gets real cheap. if you pay for decent genetics it's worth going for the save.
i do a seed run then a clone run off it to keep costs down. i know folk that bang junk together all the time, they get piles of hermies and stuff. they'd just plant another cause they have mountains of seeds.

Where do you think would be the best, cheapest place to get perlite and coco in Ontario Canada, besides on amazon? Or other better soil?
I don't have thermometers in there so I'm not sure what the temps are at, also what would be a good ph tester/ way to adjust the ph? Are grow shops around cheaper/ better than amazon?
I don't have thermometers in there so I'm not sure what the temps are at, also what would be a good ph tester/ way to adjust the ph? Are grow shops around cheaper/ better
landscape and garden supply places are good. i got 2 1/2 yrs worth of perlite for $30 - 110L bale.

if your banging out your own seeds it gets real cheap. if you pay for decent genetics it's worth going for the save.
i do a seed run then a clone run off it to keep costs down. i know folk that bang junk together all the time, they get piles of hermies and stuff. they'd just plant another cause they have mountains of seeds.
I do my own crosses and have had zero hermies. That’s gotta be some kind of myth. Do commercial breeders have a secret sauce that prevents hermies?

Also, working with decent parents gets you decent genetics. Yeah, the early crosses aren’t stabilized but you’re not going to wind up with total shit when crossing two good cultivars.

Just like good-looking people tend to have good-looking parents. Genes are inherited, after all.

I do my own crosses and have had zero hermies. That’s gotta be some kind of myth. Do commercial breeders have a secret sauce that prevents hermies?

it's the way they grow. i'd never produce seed that way. i got a pile of regs from when we ran our own stuff, but i don't have time for regs.

Not sure I understand you. What do you mean “it’s the way they grow?” If you mean cannabis is naturally prone to hermaphoditism, that hasn’t been my experience at all.

i would not breed plants the way they do. bad mojo. half of their stuff is not stable at all. you would not breed like they do either i'm sure. there's loads of bad breeders hanging about where i live now. real junk genetics. no one paying any attention to doing it right.

i would not breed plants the way they do. bad mojo. half of their stuff is not stable at all. you would not breed like they do either i'm sure. there's loads of bad breeders hanging about where i live now. real junk genetics. no one paying any attention to doing it right.
Perhaps that’s the case, I’m not sure. I just like to counter the perception that commercial breeders have near-magical qualities that are unattainable.

I mean, let’s face it — cannabis isn’t regulated like other seed industries. Even with a reputable breeder, how can you be sure the seeds are true to type unless you’ve grown that particular variety many times before?

Sorry for hijacking the thread but I’ve found doing my own crosses to be very rewarding and fun without encountering hermies or similar issues.

Perhaps that’s the case, I’m not sure. I just like to counter the perception that commercial breeders have near-magical qualities that are unattainable.

I mean, let’s face it — cannabis isn’t regulated like other seed industries. Even with a reputable breeder, how can you be sure the seeds are true to type unless you’ve grown that particular variety many times before?

Sorry for hijacking the thread but I’ve found doing my own crosses to be very rewarding and fun without encountering hermies or similar issues.

the difference is you are probably doing it correctly. there are a lot of bad practices surfacing here. once that junk is out it gets bred through everything.

Whats the wrong way of doing it? I was kinda thinking of letting mine go to seed possibly if there are males cause they're not feminized, just so I can also have a whole bunch of seeds. I mean, if they ever grow lol.

Whats the wrong way of doing it? I was kinda thinking of letting mine go to seed possibly if there are males cause they're not feminized, just so I can also have a whole bunch of seeds. I mean, if they ever grow lol.
From what I understand, hermaphroditism is genetic and it’s obviously the #1 thing to avoid. If you aren’t careful to keep and eye out and weed out hermies, you could pass it on. Perhaps our friend is referring to some other practices as well.

However, I’d strongly encourage you to give breeding a chance. Blueberry, one of the most iconic strains, was bred in a closet. Some of the best tomatoes I’ve ever grown were bred by a home breeder. Apart from your own fulfillment, I believe sexual diversity is good for the cannabis plant itself.

Cannabis sexy time!

As usual, Home Despot and such have perlite and coco, and as far as price goes, the potting soil I buy costs $12 for 28L (about 7 gallons) at any of the usual stores, and $28 to $40 on amazon, and that's without delivery.

Canadian Tire and Home Hardware both have extensive gardening sections, and are still Canadian owned. I go to them.

Perhaps I’m just speaking as someone with an abundance of seed, but what would be the point? The OP could start from scratch and end up with better plants than these in less time than trying to rehabilitate them. I guess if it’s rare genetics or the only seeds available, it’d be worth a shot, but otherwise more effort than it’s worth.
These plants are in solo cups. Plenty of time to recover. Just let the cups dry completely & up-pot to 1 gallon pots with a decent soil mix. Then start feeding at 50% of manufactures recommended dose. Those plants are too wet for the most part. Probably from watering too often & no drainage. So up-pot & solve the problem.
The Proper Way To Water A Potted Plant Then follow Emmie's link.

Should be able to get soil specifically intended for growing Marijuana at grow shops. There should be plenty of them in Ontario what with it being legal to grow in Canada.

Spend a day or two reading up on the different soils that are available so you have a very good idea of what you want before going to the store. There are natural soils best for the seedling stage and some best for veg and some best for flowering. Then there are the soil look-a- likes made with coco coir and peat moss.

It is bad enough walking into a grow shop and seeing piles of bags of soil mixes and pallets with stacks of bales of peat moss and coco Walking into a grow shop or a gardening center without knowing some of what to look for. Trying to get a grasp on what you are seeing at the same time as the stores staff is trying to help can lead to mass confusion. And, mass confusion often means walking out with the wrong thing. I have the feeling that a lot of people blame the store's staff for selling them the wrong stuff when it really is a case of the customer being overwhelmed with what is available.

Take notes and take the notebook with you. It can avoid a lot of confusion.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

Home grown nuggets put the industrial crap to shame! They’ve been trying to reproduce good bud for years! All I see is mids in those little jars from dispensaries around me. It makes me laugh! They want twice as much for the crap! And they sell 10ths of ounces for 50 bucks! Crazy! It literally makes me sick, the weed gets legalization to help the sick people, but really they just wanted to make money off the sick. I started rambling..... lol.

Home grown nuggets put the industrial crap to shame! They’ve been trying to reproduce good bud for years! All I see is mids in those little jars from dispensaries around me. It makes me laugh! They want twice as much for the crap! And they sell 10ths of ounces for 50 bucks! Crazy! It literally makes me sick, the weed gets legalization to help the sick people, but really they just wanted to make money off the sick. I started rambling..... lol.
The people making the money is the state because of the high tax rates. Here the outlets have to charge for state sales tax (6%) and then an additional Marijuana tax (10% I believe) and then the prices of the permits and business licenses which is nothing more than an additional hidden tax. Even the alcohol industry including bars, tap rooms and breweries do not have to put up with those ridiculous costs to do business.

I would decide how you want to feed them first.
If you want to do bottled synthetic nutrients then I would go with coco with some pumice and a handful of worm castings in a 5 gallon fabric pot.
Water everyday and use 1/4 strength nutrients and pH between 5.6-6.1

If you want to go organic then build a Clackamas Coots soil recipe.
30% peat
30% pumice/Rice hulls/biochar
30% aged compost
Plus
Kelp Meal @ 1/2 Cup Per Cubic Foot

Crustacean Meal @ 1/2 cup Per Cubic Foot

Karanja Cake @ 1/2 Cup Per Cubic Foot

Brix Blend Basalt @ 2 Cups Per Cubic Foot

Gypsum Dust @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot

Oyster Flour @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot

Inoculate with mycorrhazae.

Fill a MINIMUM of a 15 gallon fabric pot, start a cover crop, put on a light mulch of barley straw until cover crop is a couple inches tall then add a thick mulch.
Then buy Rove Beetles and predator mites for pest management.
Then add worms to help the soil.
Keep soil moist at all times, don't particularly need to bother with pH just don't water with some insane 9+pH well water and you should be fine.
The soil will do most everything for you.

If you can't do the above for soil then don't use soil.
Use coco.

The one thing I would suggest you DON'T do is buy a bag of heavy potting soil and put in a 5 gallon plastic bucket/pot and then feed it synthetic nutrients.

I got all the stuff for the coots mix from a store in ontario. Black Swallow Soils or something like that. You can get all the stuff @Nunyabiz mentioned there; however there are cheaper ways to aquire that list you would have to do some digging though.
Farmer's co-operatives is what they are often called here in the states. What with all the farms in Ontario, especially the miles and miles of tomato fields along Lake Erie, there have to be plenty of stores that specialize in farming supplies. It might mean having to buy a 50 lb bag of Kelp or larger quantity packaging.

Some of them might even sell Molasses by the pound. Just bring in the container and the sales staff will fill it. It will be sulphured Molasses since that is what farmers use. They are not going to pay the price of Unsulphered Molasses which is intended for cooking and baking when the inexpensive sulphered stuff will do just as well.

There was a thread somewhere on this message board posted by someone who found just about every ingredient he needed for his supersoil at farmer's co-op at very reasonable prices.

Farmer's co-operatives is what they are often called here in the states. What with all the farms in Ontario, especially the miles and miles of tomato fields along Lake Erie, there have to be plenty of stores that specialize in farming supplies. It might mean having to buy a 50 lb bag of Kelp or larger quantity packaging.

Some of them might even sell Molasses by the pound. Just bring in the container and the sales staff will fill it. It will be sulphured Molasses since that is what farmers use. They are not going to pay the price of Unsulphered Molasses which is intended for cooking and baking when the inexpensive sulphered stuff will do just as well.

There was a thread somewhere on this message board posted by someone who found just about every ingredient he needed for his supersoil at farmer's co-op at very reasonable prices.
Yep. They're called that here too. We used to go "to the co-op" to get things when I was a kid. Just outside Hamilton, so pretty close to Toronto.

Back
Top Bottom