Help! Can’t figure out what it could be!

Hayron1088

So I left for the weekend and came cal to all three of my plants showing the same signs. All 3 are in FFOF, DrE organic dry amendments as per there schedule. I water about every four days with RO water(5.9-6.2) and cal mag(5ml per gal) every other water. I just watered in bloom nutes on the 8th so they should be taken up I would imagine by now. Should I amend again? I’m in week 7 of flower and I know it’s almost dont but never have I had this much yellowing on three different strains in the same tent. I really hope this can be fixed soon!!

135516F0-CC0C-477D-8192-39173EDA529B.jpeg

2ECD4664-7131-40A6-8A15-0DB45D4C38B0.jpeg

All I added was the DrE all purpose 4-4-4 and worm castings. Once I did that I used a molasses tea twice period.
molasses simply feeds the microbes... super little there for the plant. Worm castings are not going to supply the amounts needed either. I would check out the Dr Earth Golden Bloom product... It would have more of the phosphorus needed.

Phosphorus is a funny element... it can only uptake at the tips of the roots, so it is hard to get into the plant. This is the primary reason the Myccorhizae fungi are used in a grow, to build up a large fungal network that gathers in phosphorus to feed to the roots. Grows missing the fungi often have symptoms like you are seeing. I see that they have a product to add this as you are composting your soil, and it should have been done early on.

sorry for the bluntness friend,, those plants did not develop those multitude of issues over the last weekend,, a seven week flowering plant should/could look oh so very different

long standing issues that you noticed a bit more after being away i might suggest

start at the beginning,, with your watering,, em can help you there,, once you fix that,, move on to ferting,, etc,, rinse and repeat,,

karma sent friend

edit,, i see some foxtailing goin on too,, usually too close to the lights perhaps

I appreciate all the info and I will try and correct it next round if the problems persist with my current setup. I’m new to organic so I’ll have to get a shopping list of proper amendments. I added kelp meal also about once a month.

I appreciate all the info and I will try and correct it next round if the problems persist with my current setup.
Except for those brown spots and some yellowing on the leaves the plants look decent sized. You mention 3 plants and Fox Farms Ocean Forest 'potting soil' but how large are the pots and is each plant in the same size pot. I can see one handle strap but that is all.

Plan ahead. The problems shown in the photos will persist for the rest of the time until harvest. The damage has already been done. Adding the nutrients now will slow down any new damage but those brown tips and spots will not be repaired by the plant.

I figure it takes 5 to 15 days for most added nutrients to be taken in by the plant, moved from the roots to the stems, leaves and buds and then do whatever it is they do once they get there. Since you are at 7 weeks already do what you can to slow down the browning. Phosphorous was mentioned so pick some up. It will come in handy for these plants and for the next grow.

Some Potassium would be nice. It is good for the overall health of the plant. Maybe put some Kelp Meal into the water a day ahead of the next watering. One of my theories is doing that allows some of the nutrients, minerals, etc in the Kelp to start to dissolve. I also think it is very hard to overdose the plant with to much Kelp not that we should try to prove that wrong.

Next grow the amendments should be started sooner. Probably start several weeks before flowering begins would be best.

Decent sized containers so you are good in that aspect of the grow.

Start taking care of the nutrient situation and work up a fertilizing schedule. Or, use the one recommended by the manufacturer of the fertilizer.
I’m loving the organic side immensely but I’m finding one thing out. I’m going off there nutrient schedule which I feel is not enough. If anyone is familiar with DrE then you generally know the schedule. Basically every two weeks your feeding a 1/4 cup of there 4-6-3 in early veg, then a 1/4cup of there 4-4-4 from week 4 to 8 I believe then there Bloom every two weeks until flowing is complete. I honestly don’t agree with this schedule…what you anyone else do? Switch it up? And if so what kind of schedule should I follow? Is 1/4 not enough? I’ve asked these questions directly to DrE and I always get the same reply, “ please refer to our feeding schedule online”….

I’m loving the organic side immensely but I’m finding one thing out. I’m going off there nutrient schedule which I feel is not enough. If anyone is familiar with DrE then you generally know the schedule. Basically every two weeks your feeding a 1/4 cup of there 4-6-3 in early veg, then a 1/4cup of there 4-4-4 from week 4 to 8 I believe then there Bloom every two weeks until flowing is complete. I honestly don’t agree with this schedule…what you anyone else do? Switch it up? And if so what kind of schedule should I follow? Is 1/4 not enough? I’ve asked these questions directly to DrE and I always get the same reply, “ please refer to our feeding schedule online”….
I don't agree with that schedule as you have described it, either. What point is it to give bloom nutes when bloom is practically over? I would personally adjust it to giving the bloom after week 5 at least, because thats when the buds really start building and the needs for bloom nutes skyrockets. The amounts suggested seem a bit low compared to a product like Geoflora (the closest other nutrient system in type) that suggests 1 cup for 10 gallon and then lesser amounts as the containers get smaller. 1/4 cup in their system would be the amount to give to a 2.5 gallon container.

You might want to experiment with Geoflora on your next run so you can compare the two systems. I would be very interested in your opinion after that run.

Was the temperature warmer than usual while you were away? The leaf damage appears to be caused by either nutrient burn and or too high temperature combined with pH imbalance. The downward curled leaves which give a claw appearance is a sign of excess nitrogen in flower.

When you squeeze the cannabis buds are the buds light and airy or dense and solid?

The fertilizer is very strong and has a 2 month supply per dosage and is not meant for use every watering!

The label declares a Cancer warning! that it contains known carcinogens Proposition 65 Warnings

I would not use this product with any plant you ingest or consume!

I would flush the grow medium with pH adjusted water.

When I flush my plants pots I place a plastic milk crate in the bathtub and place the plant on top of the milk crate so that the pot may drain easily. I then take pH adjusted water and begin to water the plant until I have passed at least twice the volume of pH adjusted water as pot size through the plant or until the runoff waters pH is the same as the input waters pH.

You want pH 5.8 for hydroponic and soilless (peat moss and coco coir) and pH 6.5 for soil.

Here is a nutrient availability chart

full

Here is a cannabis leaf deficiency chart

full

here is the Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver and the Plant Abuse Chart

Thank you for all the info. I’m about to switch soil as my FFOF is about a year old and has been amended quite a bit and with my limited knowledge I should probably start with something more simple right?

You are welcome! Cannabis plants do best with healthy earth or active soil. The FoxFarm Ocean Forest soil is also meant to be used in conjunction with their nutrient line. If you wish to add additional nutrients I recommend the General Hydroponics brand and nutrient lines over most other brands.

Thank you for all the info. I’m about to switch soil as my FFOF is about a year old and has been amended quite a bit and with my limited knowledge I should probably start with something more simple right?
I think you are on track and you have more than limited knowledge. It is just a case where you ran into the usual growing SNAFU like most of have and will do again. It is easy to get it sorted out and that is often one of the fun parts of growing plants whether as a hobby or not.

If anyone is familiar with DrE then you generally know the schedule.
I am not familiar with using Dr Earth products but know of them. Where is the schedule you mentioned of "Basically every two weeks your feeding a 1/4 cup of there 4-6-3 in early veg, then a 1/4cup of there 4-4-4 from week 4 to 8 I believe then there Bloom every two weeks until flowing is complete."? That is not on their web-site so I get the feeling that you are working up your own schedule which is not necessarily a bad thing until the SNAFU shows up. Their schedule as listed on the back of the package is 1 cup every 2 months and 1/4 cup every two weeks is not necessarily the same. It is underfeeding a plant that demands more than the average vegetable or decorative flower.

The SNAFU mention above is that you reversed the 4-4-4 and the 4-6-3. The 4-4-4 would be better suited for the vegetative stage and the 4-6-3 for early flowering.

Are these the plants you are calling the '3 Queens'? If so they looked real good a few weeks ago when they started flowering which makes me think that the plants are at the point where they demand more nutrients, minerals, etc than the soil and the micro-organisms can supply.

After spending some time yesterday morning looking at the line-up of Dr Earth fertilizer mixes I came up with something closer to what I feel is a better line-up.

Start off with their product called "All Purpose" which is the 4-4-4 you already are using. This is used until about 1 feeding (or about a week) before switching over to a 12/12 lighting schedule. At that time start to use their product called "Bud and Bloom" which has a 3-9-4 NPK ratio. Use this until harvest.

At approx 4 weeks before your expected harvest start adding in more Potassium. I cannot find a Dr Earth with a NPK ratio to match so the Potassium has to come from an additional source like Kelp Meal or powdered Langbeinite (from Down To Earth) which is so finely ground that it can be used as a foliar spray or just mixed with water and applied as a soil drench.

My thoughts on this schedule of products is very close to the published schedule when using the popular Fox Farm Trio except that be using the Dr Earth it is organic as compared to the FF products which contain organic and inorganic 'salt' fertilizers combined together.

Still have to figure out the dosage and that could take a grow or two before it falls into place.

I’m about to switch soil as my FFOF is about a year old and has been amended quite a bit and with my limited knowledge I should probably start with something more simple right?
Amend the used FF Ocean Forest with 1 part aged compost with the small sticks left in for every 3 parts of the used Ocean Forest. There are other ways of amending the FFOF and avoiding having to spend more money on something you already have.

The label declares a Cancer warning! that it contains known carcinogens Proposition 65 Warnings
From a state of California government web page discussing the basics of Prop 65:
Proposition 65 requires California to publish a list of chemicals known to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. This list, which must be updated at least once a year, has grown to include approximately 900 chemicals since it was first published in 1987.

In some situation there is not necessarily a requirement that any of the listed chemicals is actually found in the product, only that there is a belief that one or more of the chemicals might be found.

As of a couple of years ago, medical and recreational marijuana that can be smoked or ingested and which is sold in California must have the warning on the packaging. It does not stop there because the state now includes CBD products.

Bottled water, furniture, appliances, and clothing are included in requiring a Prop 65 warning.

That a company doing business producing fertilizers that contain organic ingredients also puts the warning on their packaging is either because one of the fertilizers contains something on the list or it is a CYA situation. It certainly does not surprise me. I would think it is easier for most businesses, from individuals to corporations, who are doing business in the state of California to put the Prop 65 warning label on their product(s) whether it is warranted or not.

I would not use this product with any plant you ingest or consume!

I would flush the grow medium with pH adjusted water.
I take tremendous exception to these two comments. First of all, before you throw the cancer word around you had better be darned sure you know what you are talking about. If I was the maker of that product, I would be looking at taking you to court for your inflammatory claims.... good thing you are anonymous on a forum, eh? Let me know the first time you have actual evidence that there is a cancer risk and know of someone who has been affected by their nutes. I will wait.

The second sentence is just silly and shows your lack of awareness of the organic process. First, pH has nothing to do with the organic feeding cycle. The OP has an organic grow with the raw nutrients added into the soil, with the microbes processing them. You are suggesting to flush a perfectly good organic grow, flushing out all of the nutrients and the microbes? That would be insane, and the grow would immediately stop. Do you wish to be held personally responsible for killing this person's grow?

Please don't throw out advice unless you know what you are talking about. I follow my own advice, and I refrain from commenting on hydroponic grows... its just not in my wheelhouse.

I take tremendous exception to these two comments. First of all, before you throw the cancer word around you had better be darned sure you know what you are talking about. If I was the maker of that product, I would be looking at taking you to court for your inflammatory claims.... good thing you are anonymous on a forum, eh? Let me know the first time you have actual evidence that there is a cancer risk and know of someone who has been affected by their nutes. I will wait.

The second sentence is just silly and shows your lack of awareness of the organic process. First, pH has nothing to do with the organic feeding cycle. The OP has an organic grow with the raw nutrients added into the soil, with the microbes processing them. You are suggesting to flush a perfectly good organic grow, flushing out all of the nutrients and the microbes? That would be insane, and the grow would immediately stop. Do you wish to be held personally responsible for killing this person's grow?

Please don't throw out advice unless you know what you are talking about. I follow my own advice, and I refrain from commenting on hydroponic grows... its just not in my wheelhouse.

Wait for it! (LOL)

Back
Top Bottom