Help considering first hydroponic purchase

Balthazar420

Have a guy local to me offering me the below equipment for $600. Is it worth the buy in your opinion? Never used a hydro system, is this a decent system? Looks to me like its more or less used for starting clones. Can i grow a plant to maturity in this system.

2x4x7 gorilla grow tent
Kind led K3 series L600
SuperPonic 16 hydroponic grow system
PH perfect Connoisseur nutrients
several other
carbon filter and 4 inch duct fan

There is no way that i would pay that much for that setup personally. But i am a budget grower and built a setup on my own. It can be done way cheaper than $600.. im not talking bad about any of that equipment because i have never used any of it, just saying a hydro setup can be had for less than half that cost.

There is no way that i would pay that much for that setup personally. But i am a budget grower and built a setup on my own. It can be done way cheaper than $600.. im not talking bad about any of that equipment because i have never used any of it, just saying a hydro setup can be had for less than half that cost.
Thanks man saved me from making a dumb Purchase on that used equipment. What LED's are you using? ive only used cmh.

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the feedback. I decided to pass on the used crap. Could any of you tell me how you did your builds? And any tools or equipment that would be useful. trying to avoid buying things i don't need. I'm also on well water can that affect my system at all? Ive been using the general hydroponics nutrients on my soil plants, will they work well in a hydro system?

Once seeds are germinated, how do you start them for hydro. I've only done soil.

I talked to the local hydroponic store and will be going in there next week. They were pricing out 2-4 site system around $100-$200.

Jack can you tell me how you did your system? I'm going to be growing autoflowers as well(Gorilla Glue, Six Shooter, White Widow)

I have 4 different mothers in dwc buckets and am cloning into hempy and sending straight into flower. Thats why I dont connect them all.

Could you explain more to me on this Please. Does running a mother plant and just taking clones increase yield? How do you keep mother plants going, do you just keep an 18/6 light cycle on the mother, and then clones go to a 12/12? how long can you keep the mother plant going?

I like this idea as i already have 1 grow tents. i could use one for mother planst and the other for clones.

I just have 2 cheap amazon leds that i wouldnt recommend. Im about to get an hps light for my flower room soon. But all i did was buy 5 gal buckets with lids from home depot. Like i said im on a tight budget so im using plastic cups for net pots. And i used a soldering iron to burn a few holes around the bottom. ( budget pro-tip put 2 cups together so theyre more sturdy). I also used the solderimg iron to "cut" a hole for my netpots in the lids. But you could just buy 5gal bucket netpots if you have more of a budget. All im using as a medium right now is straight perlite only because thats what i could find locally. And i bought black air line and some air stones from amazon and i use the 2 outlet aquarium air pumps from walmart one pump for every 2 buckets.

When it comes to germinate them i just put them in my net pot cups but i put it inside a cup without holes in the bottom of it so that it holds water.

I use general hydroponics as well and it has been doing good for me so far. And my last house had well water and it worked great for me, but im sure whats in everybodys well might be a little bit different so just watch it and check your ph.

Im just starting my perpetual grow with mother plants, but the reason im doing it is so that i can have a steady supply of clones so once i get a good cycle going i will have a sog and have a couple plants to harvest every couple of weeks.

Yes you just keep the mother plant in 18/6 or 24/0 and once the clones have roots and start growing send them straight to flower.

Im by no means an experienced grower, im just finishing my first plants. Im just trying to share what i have learned along the way but you have to find what works for you. If i can help you anymore just let me know. And feel free to come check out my journal in my signature and we can all learn together.

I got a 7 bucket system on Amazon for around $240 and it came with almost everything you need for RDWC. That's a reservoir bucket and 6 site buckets for plants. Has been working great.

I did spend more to get a bigger air pump, water pump and lay down 4' air stones (the kit came with all this but smaller versions). It also helps to have a spare of each of those in case 1 dies.

My g3 journal shows it in action. I'm quite happy with it.

Seems like a good fair price.... Tent over $300 alone.. I guess another $200 for light.. buying materials and time that takes, plus nutrients will eat up that last $100 in no time..., really fair actually, just realised carbon filter and fan also..
2nd hand grow equipment can be Brand New, if dude realises he can't grow early enough..

First thing you need to do is decide weather you want to grow from seed to harvest every time or from clones to harvest.

Seed to harvest: you will need many seeds every harvest. This can get expensive when your buying a pack of 5 for 40 or so bucks depending on the strain. It also has the chance of failed seeds. Plus, it takes time to let them grow after germinating.

Clones to harvest: with a single 'mother' plant you can take loads of clones from it, more than enough to supply any method you may want to try, like SOG. It's also quicker than seeds due to the fact youre cutting out germinating and the clones already have growth and a stem. Usually they take root in 6 to 8 days if in a humidity dome with a small light on 18/6 light schedule. Additionally you can expect a mother plants clones to behave in the same way the mother does.
A good practice in picking a mother is to grow all 4 or 5 seeds of the same strain and a month or 2 into veg, choose the biggest healthiest one of them all to 'clone' and that's your mother plant for future harvest. Since you chose the best one, you can expect those same results every harvest with the clones you take from that mother plant. Then you finish those 4 or 5 plants and enjoy your smoke. Meanwhile the clone to be ur mother has a good 2 months to grow and a week before harvest you take snippings from the mother to prepare for your next harvest with no downtime.

My first time cloning I used rooter pods. I shaved off the bottom where I cut (the outside skin about half an inch) and split the bottom middle upwards with a razor blade. I then dipped into clonex gel and placed them very snuggly into the rooter pods and into the tent. 1/6 survived, rest died. All of em clearly showed decline in health and shriveled leafs but hey 1 survived just inside my grow tent with the rest of plants in veg. Took like 2 weeks for the one to even survive and finally show roots

Second attempt in a humidity dome:
8/8 survived. They never drooped or showed any decline in health for me! 6 days later I had tiny roots poking out. 2 days later and all of em had roots spewing out everywhere. I got my humidity dome from Amazon for 55 bucks and also placed a heating mat under the dome. Fed with seedling recommended nutes from general hydroponics.

If you decide to go mother plants route, you will need a second small tent and light on its own timer of 18/6. Currently I have 3 mother plants, Gg#4, Blue dream and SuperGlue all in 1 gallon fabric pots and inside a 2x2 tent.

Back
Top Bottom