Help finding affordable LED that works well for flowering?

While the first link has some good articles, none of those mention anything of technical relevance. Neither link provides any mention of reef use or reef lighting.

The second link is simply poor propaganda filled with half truths and outright lies in some cases. I could go more in-depth on this if needed.

As for using a potentiometer for adjusting the reds and blues, it will not adjust the wavelength or spectral output of the led, it will simply reduce the current and or voltage applied. The overall wavelength of the LED can not be adjusted more than 7-12nm (depending on manufacturer and phosphorus used).

By all means, any horticulture LED light panel should have a large majority of diodes in the red spectrum. I have only seen one person (group?) say otherwise and he/they was attempting to use all white LEDs (that do produce in the red wavelengths as well) with some limited success. Some of those people added some 630 and 660nm reds and produced better results than the all white attempts.

Thanks Hosebomber for clearing that up. I didn't have time earlier to look at the links, but now I agree with everything that Hosebomber has said. Thanks for the wisdom:goodjob:

Led light has been shipped today I think. Free shipping:( should have ordered on monday....or should have paid the 14 dollars and something cents to get it Fed Ex'd...oh well. It will be here on tuesday or wednesday. I'll give pics of everything in my Journal. Here's the link My First Grow DS100 Diamond Series LED & Nectar For The Gods Nutes
Thanks guys!:420::Namaste:

Hi guys, welcome to 420 magazine. You will find the best advice about growing MJ here. Myself, I have 2 DS300`s (started with 1) that simply kick ass. All the research I did led me to choose Advanced LED`s. There are other good companies also, just do your research and make your choice. As long as you stick with the sponsors here you ill be OK. Another suggestion learn who the gurus are on here and heed thier words, they won`t steer you wrong. Hosebomber is in this category. You can take whatever he says to the bank. Check out his journals. He is the man to listen to, one of the best!!! Again welcome.

Peace & Great Growin`
YR

Thanks for the welcome. Yep, great site with some real informative threads. Learning allot.

Ya, that first link was the best, I thought as well. Meant that specifically to show commercial horticulture use, not reefing at all. That was my bad. Misread your previous post Hosebomber. Here's an article by Sanjay that, while primarily comparing LEDs and their wavelengths, also includes the statement "The addition of the red leds help improve the color rendition especially for the red/pink corals as well as fish. Also, Chlorophyll in corals has an absorption band in the red region, hence it is speculated that the addition of red will enhance photosynthesis", Feature Article: Spectral Distributions of LEDs: AI-Sol, Radion, Orphek, EcoRay, Mvava — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog Sanjay is one of the guys in the reef hobby that has some really in-depth studies on lighting.

I appreciate all the responses Hosebomber. I agree about the potentiameter not altering wavelengths. I meant that to convey that maybe different strains, depending on geographic region, would benefit from more or less red and/or blue lighting supplementation and the potentiameters could be used to adjust the amount of red and blue intensity.

Thanks for taking the time to spread the knowledge. Much appreciated.

The DS100 has been very very good to me ... :yummy:

8_13i.JPG

8_3b.JPG

Works good enough that I'm looking to buy another and not even considering another company ... :thumb:

well the advanced led light is working out great. The plant looks great. It's loving the light and looking very healthy for my first grow I would say.
IMGP9861.JPG
That it works well and it being able to last so long and being so compact are worth buying it in the first place. Adding to that are that it plugs into a regular outlet and has a daisy chain feature to attach lights is great. It also doesn't seem to put off any heat so I actually have to worry about warming the room all the time not cooling it. I would definitely recommend this light so far. I don't know what it does for flower yet but I will keep this thread updated. Thanks guys:thumb:
IMGP9860.JPG
IMGP9850.JPG

Back
Top Bottom