Help! fried crispy leaves due to outdoor heatwave - Nor Cal

Any2cards

Heatwave and temps to 108 have fried my plants which were 1 ft teens in gal pots outside in soil. It wasn't but a few hours in direct sunlight this afternoon but the damage is done. Soaked them real good on Friday and was going to water again today but soil was still moist so I delayed. Got busy with other things and went to check on them and they were wilted and a majority of leaves are fried to a crisp. Put them immediately in the shade with a watering but they look pretty bad. Was getting ready to transplant soon.

Best course of action for a rescue?

Thanks,

Any2

Re: Help! fried crispy leaves due to outdoor heatwave. No Cal

If you looking around garden centres/stores you may well come across...

Hortic fleece, shade netting etc a cover can be made to help protect from strong sun light !

Just give it lots of love and keep it in the shade
Yea doing that now. Was just wondering if there were some tried and true methods for this type of situation. Hydration techniques etc.

Going to be straight days of the same heat perhaps a week long. Soil was still moist when I found them so it wasn't like they were bone dry. Didn't take long either as they were cooked around 2pm already. I am guessing in 1 gal pots the root zones just got too hot and they had no where to go.

Also what do you outdoor guys do when you know it is going to be this hot?

Any other advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Any2

you might want to trim away any obviuosly dead material if they are protected now,if not leave the crispy stuff it helps protect the rest of the plant till its cooled down,but once safe from further evil sun and heat abuse the dead stuff can attract bugs & rot,molds that like necrotic tissue, good luck,keepem cooland damp ,i feel your pain my indoor has suffered heat stress i have been as high as 95f with lights on & 91f lights out! due to this heat

you might want to trim away any obviuosly dead material if they are protected now,if not leave the crispy stuff it helps protect the rest of the plant till its cooled down,but once safe from further evil sun and heat abuse the dead stuff can attract bugs & rot,molds that like necrotic tissue, good luck,keepem cooland damp ,i feel your pain my indoor has suffered heat stress i have been as high as 95f with lights on & 91f lights out! due to this heat
Thanks BID. Yea they are pretty much toast. Wilted and leaves crunchy. One of them is trying to come back and is showing a little sign of life with a few non crispy areas the other not at all. They are GSCs however, the 2 Sour Ds and the 2 Blue Dreams did not show anything near the same damage. A few burned and curled but they will pull out. In the same area but perhaps had some shade cover. They were a bit over 1 ft at the time. Have them in the shade now keeping them damp but there is no way to revive the crispy stuff so I was thinking of trimming it off. Gotta go find me a pair of teens now for this high brix/earthjuice outdoor comparison I am doing and dependent on dispensaries and other sources for genetics. Which I will never do again.

Peace,

Any2

Hey there Any2.I too had a couple sunburned plants.We had 2 90 degree days here in the Great North Wet(West) and that did it...They were in a open ended hoop tent and I was surprized to see the two plants on the west side got it bad.i read that wierd things can amplafy the heat,like reflections from glass ect.That could have been it as I built a hoop tent ,green house thing off the side of a chicken house I converted into a green house w/ the whole south wall being glass window panes...So ..,...If it get close to that hot again i'll move them into the barn or something.i hope to get them moved from 5 gal bags into the soil soon. i'm going to get some shade netting to have on hand for next time haha.like that happens so much up here...Good luck on your farmin.C ya,Red

Hey there Any2.I too had a couple sunburned plants.We had 2 90 degree days here in the Great North Wet(West) and that did it...They were in a open ended hoop tent and I was surprized to see the two plants on the west side got it bad.i read that wierd things can amplafy the heat,like reflections from glass ect.That could have been it as I built a hoop tent ,green house thing off the side of a chicken house I converted into a green house w/ the whole south wall being glass window panes...So ..,...If it get close to that hot again i'll move them into the barn or something.i hope to get them moved from 5 gal bags into the soil soon. i'm going to get some shade netting to have on hand for next time haha.like that happens so much up here...Good luck on your farmin.C ya,Red
Thanks SR....yea they are toast. Netting like fuzzy said or shade if you can move them when it gets crazy hot is best. Tomato and cucumber plants wilted and sunburned too. The GSCs just did not like that extreme sunlight and heat and literally burned up in 2 hours but the blue dreams and sour diesals came out of it. Glgl.

Any2

This heat wave has kicked my ass too. My Church plants never had a chance. My Jack Herer took a beating with the dried wilted leaves just like yours. Also, I don't know how. But it seems like my J.H. started to go back into veg phase. The defined buds and colors changed. Like the bud sites started growing out and getting greener. I lightly fed them ample bloom side nutrients and kept them on 12/12 hours and it looks like they are coming back to where they were before. I hope they don't hermie and or become ragweed- fingers crossed.
I just can't believe these hot temps. Hitting triple digits here. I was like three weeks from harvest too...

Back
Top Bottom