Help identifying a problem with a cola

Calvados

I'm growing in a tent. A week ago a leaf or two sticking out of one of a COLA went bone dry. I pulled them and left it alone. It kept occurring throughout the week. I assumed it was just end of grow, because the fans were turning yellow, the flowers were glassing up, etc. Then overnight the entire top half of the outer part of the bud dried out completely. All the sugar leaves and hairs were just bone dry. I harvested today. This is what the bud looked like. It was a bit larger than my fist. When I examined it the bottom half was normal. When I opened it the top part of the cola was dry to about a half inch in. I didn't notice anything else. The smell wasn't bad. The stem was elastic. Other than the top outer part everything else seemed fined.

I'm worried that it was some sort of dry rot mold. Does that exist? I've not come across this before. I had some very light PM on this plant that I treated about a month ago and kept an eye on. Beyond that nothing out of the usual. Anyone have an opinion?

Opened up.

Probably bud rot albeit more common on outdoor stuff but can happen indoors too (I had one recently do that, I removed and got more air circulation and I didn't see any more until I harvested that plant). Or what it looks like to me anyway, remove it so it doesn't spread to the rest of it that is drying and clean your scissors with rubbing alcohol if you try and salvage part of it (though not enough there to me to try and save part, but that your choice).

Probably bud rot albeit more common on outdoor stuff but can happen indoors too (I had one recently do that, I removed and got more air circulation and I didn't see any more until I harvested that plant). Or what it looks like to me anyway, remove it so it doesn't spread to the rest of it that is drying and clean your scissors with rubbing alcohol if you try and salvage part of it.

Thanks. I threw that bud out. I harvested today and bud washed. First bucket was H2O2.

So there is such a thing as dry rot. Any idea what it's called?

It's usually from lack of enough circulation or air space in the plant so flowers can transpire and still dry out some, or in the case of outside stuff "too much rain at the wrong freaking time" which is pretty much here in Oregon most years ;) :rofl:

I get something similar. I haven’t decided whether it is a variation of normal bud rot or a different version.

To me - grey mold/botrytis/bud rot is something that turns the bud wet and slimy and rots it. When it’s moderately advanced it sends out visible puffs of spores when you touch the buds. The affected spots are moist and slimy and eventually turn into mouldy mush. Bud rot thrives in humid conditions.

My ‘dry rot’ problem dries the bud out completely crispy dry- usually to a yellowish or white colour. But the bud is perfectly preserved with all trichomes intact, and I never see any spores at all. Under a microscope it just looks like bleached-out crispy dry bud. The dry rot operates in quite dry conditions. I was getting it in conditions in which I would never have been affected with regular mould. It mainly seemed to affect one strain I had, which was genetically weak and prone to lots of problems.

I started a thread on it here. Anyone out there familiar with this problem besides me? Some sort of dry mold
Not sure if this is what you have or not. In any case I never found the answer. Never found anyone else with the same issue anywhere. At the time there was no lab I could find in Canada that would legally test it for me. That’s probably changed now though.

Looks and sounds like the same thing Weaselcracker. It did not seem to be spreading to the other branches on the same plant or further down the branch that it was on. I really didn’t want to hang around and see if it would though. My humidity and temperatures were pretty well controlled with a couple of bumps in the month. I had 4 plants in the tent. This is the only one that was visibly effected and only one very nice COLA on one branch. It was a Lemon Thai Kush. I’m guessing it’s some sort of mold possibly from lack of circulation combined with something else. I really have no idea.
:nomo::bong:

Back
Top Bottom