Help me save my babies!

sonnet420

These babies are a lil over two weeks old. They are santa strain, an autoflowering skunk. They were doing awesome until my dwc started getting this brown slime. So i freaked and and started using peroxide to try to keep it at bay. That didn't work so well.. so i searched some forums for an answer. Mind u up to this point the slime didn't hurt my plants that much, ne wayz i did some research into a product called physan 20. I did two treatments to my 4 gallon rez. I only added 2ml the first time then dumped out a day later and made a new nute solution and put 1ml in it this time. It seems to have pulled the life outta my plants. Can ne one help me save them before it's to late!

Before Physon:

IMG_10723.JPG
IMG_10713.JPG
IMG_10731.JPG
IMG_10752.JPG

After Physon:

IMG_11237.JPG
IMG_11226.JPG
IMG_11217.JPG
IMG_11205.JPG

Re: Help me save my babies!!!

Call me crazy, but I think that looks like cellular collapse.

How hot is it, what's your RH at, what size light is it, and how far from the light is it?

And what temp is your res at?

Re: Help me save my babies!!!

150 watt hps bulb it's running around 85. If you look carefully there is one in the hydro unit that is still going strong and there are two more in peat in the small containers and they're closer to the bulb then the other ones. If it is cellular collapse as u say is there any saving them? or are they just gonna crisp up on me?... I have an air cond going now to help them.. but i hope i'm not too late. rh is about 50 and there about 2 feet from the bulb.

not a lot of help around here i guess huh?

First off :welcome: to the 420 Family. And :sorry: to see the babies take a turn for the worst. It does look like a collapse. I would have to suggest raising your light to 3 feet, then bring it down slowly as the week goes on. And as for the slime I would run ph'd water & if you can buy some Hygrozyme, I would definitely suggest it. I don't fill a rez without it, unless flushing. It does wonders for your roots. It can be pricey, but its worth every penny. The slime is a build of sorts. It happens to us all. The best way to fix it is to empty, clean w/ a sanitizing solution of 1 teaspoon (4.9 ml) of bleach per gallon of clean water. Allow to air dry, then proceed to refill with ph'd water w/ Hygrozyme. Even if you don't use Hygrozyme do as directed and you should be all good. Feel free to PM me if you ever have any questions that need an urgent response. Even when I'm out I check in via phone. And :sorry: about the late response. :ganjamon:

Butcher's the expert but I already had typed a reply so I'll post my opinion as well...

Let's walk through the basics to make sure....

What is your PH - you should be in the 5.3 to 6 range preferably

How are your airstones - lots of bubbles plenty of oxygen?

What is your reservoir temperature - if 85F like your air temperature - that's hotter than you want it to be. 65F is better - colder water holds more oxygen

Is your reservoir clean - I assume you fully changed it out and scrubbed it when you had the slime? If not do it now.

Also - a good flush through your net pots to ensure any contaminate gets a chance to be washed off your above-reservoir water level root zone.

Are you using DI water? or at least filtered water? This isn't a requirement for DWC in my opinion but it minimizes the chances of trouble caused by your water quality.

I can't promise they'll be saved but we can give them their best shot by ensuring everything is optimal or at least nominal.

Best Wishes

Hmmm, not too experienced with Physan 20. We do have a thread on that here at 420 magazine.

Physan 20: Question

Note post #4 from droopy dog. If you no longer have any roots, then I think this grow will have to be chalked up to experience. Very sorry man. They were autoflower seeds, correct? If so, then it was a fairly expensive lesson.

Now, what about the brown slime you saw? I am not big on DWC because the rez temp needs to be maintained at pretty cool temp. I think around 68 to 72 degrees F. If the rez gets to your air temp of 85, the dissolved oxygen levels go down pretty low and can encourage anaerobic microorganism growth. That would be bad.

DWC is easy to start but difficult to complete a grow without problems. It requires more skill than at first glance. To really do it properly, a water chiller is often needed and they start at around $300 for a 1/10 HP unit.

There's plenty of people who don't use res coolers in the Deep Water Culture forum.
But he's right. You need low temps in the air and the res.
Air at 85F is way high unless you're pumping some serious damned CO2 into it.

As far as the brown slime.. I usually get it on the first run of new equipment, nearly every time. I clean it good, and that's that. I haven't had the slime back since. Just my experience, but your mileage may vary.

thanx a million for responding everyone. And for the question about the roots, they're still there and white! So that must be good huh? lol
here's what someone else told me somewhere else and i did it so i hope it don't make it worse

"yup stop using physan.
second mix at 5% solution of peroxide, dip the root mass in it and agitate slightly , remove and put into clean water. trim the worst of the dead leaves and reduce light levels slightly. "

i did what this guy said, but he never told me how long it should stay in the plain water. They've been in plain water since 2pm today. Should i put my nutes in now? or wait?

There's plenty of people who don't use res coolers in the Deep Water Culture forum.
But he's right. You need low temps in the air and the res.
Air at 85F is way high unless you're pumping some serious damned CO2 into it.

As far as the brown slime.. I usually get it on the first run of new equipment, nearly every time. I clean it good, and that's that. I haven't had the slime back since. Just my experience, but your mileage may vary.

I agree to check with the Deep Water Culture forum; they have more experience in that area. I just may have a personal bias from what I had read in the past. :goodluck: with your future attempts!

As for the rez I would watch the temps. Clean the rez w/ the bleach solution let them run w/ ph'd water for at least 24 hours then add a quarter stregnth nutes. With the light raised and your rez clean and ph all good, then You should be all good. Sometimes less is more. Imho less is more for you.

sweet! so ur saying they should perk up then huh? i know the yield is gonna suffer but something will be better than nothing.

they should eventually.. all you can do is try IMHO. Watch the simple most logical things. If you have access to more cuts i wont hurt to have a back up plan. But honestly I would give them a chance to recover. I've had issue like that before and they perked back up not as healthy at first, but those are so young if they pull through then they will thrive and those leafs will eventually become obsolete to the plant. I know what it is not to want to lose seedling's and will try to help you get through this issue to the best of my ability.
Try this on one, it will tell you definitely if it an Rh issue. Take a 2 liter bottle and chop it in half spray the inside of the bottle with plain water, place it over one of the girls, tape it down so it stays put and get a seal, not a completely seal though. If the cellular walls collapsed and needs moisture it will be able to drink it via stomata and with the high RH within the "humidity dome" it should perk up. Check in on it say every half hour or so to make sure all is good. If it perks up then it is the temps/Rh in the grow area. If not then you know for sure its an internal problem. Try it out, its an easy way of diagnosing your plant.

thanx! i will try that out after work and during the weekend. The funny thing is that i have six in the net pots. The once with the longest root system were damaged the most. The one that didn't have long roots but had nice growth above didn't seem to be effected much. I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER put PHYSON 20 in my tank again!!!! GRRRRRR

thanx! i will try that out after work and during the weekend. The funny thing is that i have six in the net pots. The once with the longest root system were damaged the most. The one that didn't have long roots but had nice growth above didn't seem to be effected much. I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER put PHYSON 20 in my tank again!!!! GRRRRRR

I'm sure the product has its place. Most things if improperly used will cause negative side effects. Just use caution and ask around before using a product that you are unfamiliar with. I'm rootin' for your babies! :cheer:

Physan20 is great stuff to disinfect and clean equipment.

Keep it away from live plants.

I literally melted the roots off a flask of orchid seedlings trying to dissolve the agar that they were growing in. Luckily, it was just a $15 flask and not a $100+flask of awarded plants.

Hope your plants recover, but they look pretty burnt.

DD

my rh was down to like 20 :eek: so now i put a bowl of sat. perlite with a lil h2o2 in it so we should see the rh stabalize soon. I started to use a airconditioner for alil bit but it dropped the rh down alot but now i think this will take care of it cuz this is what i use for boomers to achieve awesome humidity with now heat!

Damn it! the rh is at like 20-30%. If i shut off the air it will get too hot and humidity drops, if i turn the air on the humidity drops! GRRR everything is f***ing with me. I never had ne problems in past runs. I've used DWC, Bubble, Drip irr. Ebb&Flow. Maybe it's b'cuz it's a cab. Never did one before. always basement or closet b4

I think your ambient temps are more important than rh, and you can mist if necessary, though I don't think you should mist damaged leaves. Take it easy with drastic changes until new growth starts to emerge. Keep to the basics.

If you have the seeds available, you may be better off starting new. I know it's sad to lose a plant, but autoflowers have such a short life cycle that such an incident can really make a big difference by time they're done. If you don't start seeing improvement in a week maybe it's time to start fresh.

That being said, if you can eek 'em out, like you said...something is better than nothing, and it will be a good learning experience. Not much help...you've already had that from previous replies, but keep at it.

Back
Top Bottom