Help needed please: small LED seedling & veg light for 50cm x 50cm x 100cm

Greensalt

Hi Everyone,

I am in the UK and as the title suggests, I'm after some help please as my original idea of using a HLG QB144 has been dashed. Bought a suitable driver ultra cheap at £5 with vouchers and nectar points (MeanwellLPF-40-39), plan to modify an old PC heat sink and then found out that the last QB144 had been sold and currently no stock in the UK.

Now I am left with the Meanwell LPF-40-39 and the PC heatsink which is 2/3rds of a small reasonable seedling/veg light putting out a max wattage of approx 40watts BUT no actual light source.

I was thinking, could I use a COB LED such as Citizen/Cree instead?

I do not need massive output and the driver only has a max of 40watts, see below the drover specs:

Operation Mode:Constant Current (CC)
Output Current-Channel 1:1.12 A
Output Voltage-Channel 1:36 VDC
Output Power:40.32 W
Input Voltage:90 VAC to 305 VAC, 127 VDC to 431 VDC

As for the PC heatsink I could modify, I have taken a picture of it below and as you can see, it is a fin type. There is a flat smooth spot that measures 1.75" x 1.5" which I am assuming would be enough area to fit a suitable COB LED with thermal paste/pad.

I am not even sure if a heatsink would be needed for a COB at a max of 40watts?

So there we have it, a 36V, 1,12A driver putting out a max of 40watts and a heatsink with a nice spot to house a COB LED but which one, which brand......I seriously have no clue were to start.

Can anyone help please?

HS1.jpg
HS2.jpg
MW1.jpg
MW2.jpg

I'm back. I knew I had seen a company that sells horticulture light supplies.
They are called vivid Led they've got Qb144 and thousands of others to choose from.. there's a lad on here called @VetSmoke85 from the UK also. he built his own light. Search his threads and see if it helps

Give me a little time and I'll find a suitable COB for you. Probably a CLU 48. You could build a small strip light using Bridgelux strips but you'd need a different driver. Here's the link to my build.

I have a 4000K 65W HLG board that I started out with in a small cabinet. Then you couldn't get hold of them here in the UK anymore.

Wowzers, I ned so time to digest but most of all a very sincere thank you, both @VetSmoke85 and @Squiggle for all your valued info.

Checked VIVIDLED and no 4k left of the QB144, only a few 3k Alexander (owner) informed me which is not ideal for me especially now a COB seems to be a better option given the heatsink I have has a nice placement spot as seen on the pics.

Would a heatsink be needed with the suggestions and what would be the output regarding wattage?

Sorry for all the Qs but I'd rather follow the experts than wing it when I am far from sure.

A heatsink is always a good idea. You'd be just under 40W with that driver.

That chip you'd be driving a little over the test current so it won't get too hot but having that heatsink will make sure it doesn't and will preserve it's lifespan.

One of these would work with that driver.

CLU048-1212C4-50AL7K3
If you did want the option to flower with it or grow a little auto under it I'd get the 3500K chip.

Hi again @VetSmoke85

I think this is, or very similar to, the 3500k chip you mention but also includes the holder and thermal pad for a decent price.

eBay item number: 293377974144

You originally suggested the 5000k chip but in my experience, albeit HPS, I have used as high as 5700k for seedlings/early veg and I have never seen any noticeable difference compared to between 3k and 4k so might just grab this.

I might go with this....wadda think?

Hi again @VetSmoke85

I think this is, or very similar to, the 3500k chip you mention but also includes the holder and thermal pad for a decent price.

eBay item number: 293377974144

You originally suggested the 5000k chip but in my experience, albeit HPS, I have used as high as 5700k for seedlings/early veg and I have never seen any noticeable difference compared to between 3k and 4k so might just grab this.

I might go with this....wadda think?
That's the one I'd get too. Suggested the 5000K as you said it would be for seedlings/veg but 3500K will do that just fine and will work for flower if you want too.

@VetSmoke85 i love you, if you know what I mean hehe

I'll get it sorted and show you what I've created hopefully.

One doubt I do have...making threaded holes in my heatsink and what size. I'm guessing I need to do this to secure the holder right?
I can help out on this one.. Im a metal fabricator of 30 years. drilling and tapping holes is a daily thing. So when you get your bits and pieces, I will guide you through the process..
Do you have a drill or can you borrow one for half an hour?

Back
Top Bottom