Help please! Does this look normal?

Scatman

Hey guys, not sure if I'm in the right area here, not even sure if you blokes are in the same country as me. I need help, I've got a plant that has grown from simply throwing seeds into a planter box, it's about 1m tall and has been looking a bit yellow and with holes in the leaves of late. It used to be nice and green and bushy, I put a bit of dolomite in the soil about a week ago but it doesn't seem to have done much. Anyone have any advice?

For whatever reason I can't upload a photo of it

Re: Help please!! Does this look normal?

Thanks Antics, big help man and now none of my shit is working for me, phone and computer won't load the edit page so the pic is on its side and there's nothing I can do about it sorry
image20024.jpg

Thanks Antics, big help man and now none of my shit is working for me, phone and computer won't load the edit page so the pic is on its side and there's nothing I can do about it sorry

No worries man, I'll do what I can to help get you going here.

This looks like it's outside, is that correct? If so, that would be the first thing I'd look at for the holes in the leaves. Bugs love eating plants. There are some natural pesticides you can use as well, Sierra Natural Science makes some amazing products that are safe to use for bug problems. Check the undersides of your leaves to see if any bugs are still hanging around.

The smaller branches would lead me to think this plant didn't receive enough direct lighting, or could have possibly been over watered. (this happened to one of my own plants)

What is in the soil mix that you're using?

Are you feeding the plant any nutrients? (avoid using Miracle Grow!)

There may be a Nitrogen deficiency, or possibly PH lockout. What is the PH of water/nutes you're giving? What is the PH of the soil? What is the PH of the runoff?

The stem appears brown and woody in the picture, is this the case when looking at the plant in person?

How often are you watering the plant, and how much water?

How big is the pot?

Where is this plant growing? Inside/outside? Porch? Patio? and is there anything in the way that blocks direct sunlight?

id take clones my self and start over again , she looks weak , you could take at least 4/5 clones off her and start again , antics will help you along the way , and my self too if you come stuck :)

If its cloning, you'll be the expert in the field, I haven't done any cloning yet! I'm dying to try it, I just need to get a cloning chamber together first :(

heres a simple dome for each clone , cost nothing

empty clear plastic bottles :)

Oh I know that stuff bud, but I don't have a place for lighting and such. My closet is the Flower room now, so I need a small box or something set up to grow the clones in.

This looks like it's outside, is that correct? If so, that would be the first thing I'd look at for the holes in the leaves. Bugs love eating plants. There are some natural pesticides you can use as well, Sierra Natural Science makes some amazing products that are safe to use for bug problems. Check the undersides of your leaves to see if any bugs are still hanging around.

The smaller branches would lead me to think this plant didn't receive enough direct lighting, or could have possibly been over watered. (this happened to one of my own plants)

What is in the soil mix that you're using?

Are you feeding the plant any nutrients? (avoid using Miracle Grow!)

There may be a Nitrogen deficiency, or possibly PH lockout. What is the PH of water/nutes you're giving? What is the PH of the soil? What is the PH of the runoff?

The stem appears brown and woody in the picture, is this the case when looking at the plant in person?

How often are you watering the plant, and how much water?

How big is the pot?

Where is this plant growing? Inside/outside? Porch? Patio? and is there anything in the way that blocks direct sunlight?

Yeah bud, it's growing outside, I used some Yates Vegetable Dust Derris which is good for caterpillars, aphids and thrips after I noticed holes in the leaves. It's planted in a 700mm long x 300mm wide x 300mm deep planter box, in Searles Premium Potting Mix. I never intended on becoming a grower, but when I bought some weed off a mate one day there were a shit ton of seeds in it, so I decided to chuck them out into the pots and see what happens. I've never tested the soils pH or anything like that because I said to myself if it happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't - the shit's a weed anyway and it grows on its own out in the world doesn't it? But since I've seen it get less bushy, and the leaves die off and fall off I kinda wanna save it now.

I'm not sure where you guys are but I'm in Australia on the east coast and we've just had about a month of almost constant rainfall and the last 2 weeks there has been a cyclone creating even more, so my plant could almost definitely have been over watered. It's out in the backyard partly shielded by a small bush, mainly because it got burnt when it was really small after spending too much time in constant sun so I moved it. It would still get a decent amount of hours of sunlight each day though.

I recently did some research and discovered that I may have a nitrogen deficiency I think?? And that I should put some Dolomite in the soil, so a few days ago I put another 3 or 4 inches of new potting mix in the pots, and then mixed a few handfuls of dolomite powder into it and watered it in.

We are coming into our cold months in another week or two so I'm hoping I can save it before it gets too cold so I don't miss out on harvest time, I have two smaller plants which also manifested from the seeds, they are about 1 - 1.5' high currently, and green and healthy as!

Anyways hope I've given you guys enough information to go off, thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate the help. Great site btw!

Cheers
Phil

A weed is an unwanted plant.

Roses can be a weed, when they're not welcome in your garden, but constantly keep sprouting.

I would hardly consider Cannabis to be a weed, especially with all of its known medical uses.

When it grows it the wild, you have natural processes that balance things in nature that don't exist in your planter. You absolutely have to check PH, without knowing what the PH of your water, medium, and runoff are, it's impossible to definitively tell you what the problem is.

PH lockout will cause the same symptoms as deficiencies.

If I tell you it's a deficiency, and it was really PH lockout, you end up over fertilizing, which causes further problems. Same for the Nitrogen deficiency that you just recently read about. PH lockout can cause the same exact symptoms. That's why we need to check the PH to rule it out as a cause.

There's no way in my opinion that this plant will finish in a week or two before the cold comes. It would need to be moved indoors.

A weed is an unwanted plant.

Roses can be a weed, when they're not welcome in your garden, but constantly keep sprouting.

I would hardly consider Cannabis to be a weed, especially with all of its known medical uses.

When it grows it the wild, you have natural processes that balance things in nature that don't exist in your planter. You absolutely have to check PH, without knowing what the PH of your water, medium, and runoff are, it's impossible to definitively tell you what the problem is.

PH lockout will cause the same symptoms as deficiencies.

If I tell you it's a deficiency, and it was really PH lockout, you end up over fertilizing, which causes further problems. Same for the Nitrogen deficiency that you just recently read about. PH lockout can cause the same exact symptoms. That's why we need to check the PH to rule it out as a cause.

There's no way in my opinion that this plant will finish in a week or two before the cold comes. It would need to be moved indoors.

Ok good point. I'll go out and get a ph tester today and start to actually take notice of my plants progress. I don't mean it'll start getting cold soon (should've clarified properly!) even though it's technically Autumn here it doesn't really get cold until midway through the season. I reckon I've got another month, maybe month and a half before it gets cold. Enough time you reckon?

Cheers for all your help so far Antics, I'm quickly realising that being lazy won't get me good results :-/

It might be enough time, but that's really all up to the plant, flowering period times vary.

A digital meter is much better than the multipurpose meters (they usually measure PH, moisture, and light)

Yeah a lot of people think Cannabis is "just a weed" and will grow anywhere. And that's just simply not the case. Every investment you make in improving your grow, will pay you back over and over again with better yields.

It is root bound, and the holes are picnic areas for bugs munching on your lady. That planter was designed for several small plants in a row. Buy or build a larger round planter, even a storage tote with some holes, be creative.

More root more fruit as they say. I would so as they say take some clones, and start over I am afraid that ladie does not have the root zone to support much bud, and she is already stressed out.

and as far as nutes go if your on a budget don't be afraid of Miracle grow, it is a chem fert, but you can supplement with other things to add the minerals and metals needed.

Alright so a big round pot, digital pH meter, Miracle grow.. Is my potting mix ok? It's Searles Premium. Take clones...razor blade off little branches?

I've found Google searches to be a BIT too informative on this subject, in that they provide SO much information I don't know where to begin. After my trip to the hardware store tomorrow I'll sit down and do some reading on this forum and fill in the gaps.

Cheers fellas

Take some big clones, get some 2 liter pop bottles cut off the bottoms so you have a dome to put over them, you can use red keg / plastic cups or anything like them. Drill some holes in the bottom, fill with soil add some water use a pencil to poke a hole all the way to the bottom, take your large cutting, strip off the lower leaves where the soil will cover, dip in rooting hormone, place in hole push soil around the stem put plastic bottle over top to prevent drying out. Take domes off daily to allow fresh air in, put in a window or under a florescent light. wait 14 days viola Clones.

easy and cheap no need to complicate it. Just use large cuttings like at least 8 inches.

Alright so a big round pot, digital pH meter, Miracle grow.. Is my potting mix ok? It's Searles Premium. Take clones...razor blade off little branches?

I've found Google searches to be a BIT too informative on this subject, in that they provide SO much information I don't know where to begin. After my trip to the hardware store tomorrow I'll sit down and do some reading on this forum and fill in the gaps.

Cheers fellas

I would absolutely avoid Miracle Grow at all costs. If it's the ONLY thing available.. then maybe, but don't use time release pellets/balls. That makes it impossible to flush.

Look for a 2 part, or 3 part nutrient system. Which will most likely not be sold at local department/hardware/home stores. You'll need to visit a good garden center, or hydro shop. Or order from online.

This will give a good head start on information: How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

Haha fair enough, gotcha! Sweet well there's heaps of info for me to go on. By the way I went out and took a pic of the other two I've got, they look heaps healthier - like the big one used to :'-(

image20444.jpg

Friggen sideways again!!

It's between a fence and some other foliage, for security purposes... I'll drag it out later on when it's not so hot outside, plus when I have help lol. I'm currently operating on one hand due to a crushed finger injury on the other hand, so things happen a little slower with me at the moment :-D

The other one is doing alright for now but it will follow the same path in that pot if you don't give he more root space, imagine the roots growing out as wide as the plant is that is a good size, she will suffer in many ways after she gets root bound, immune system drops off, she will become weaker and more vulnerable to pests and disease and it is all down hill from there.

Repotting is a great idea right now :)

Back
Top Bottom