HELP seedling just emerged but is pale

DrTentgrow

I have a seedling that has just popped up and has no green at all, I have never seen this is many of seedlings I have germinated, I have done every thing the same as normal, soaked the rock wool cubes in pH corrected water (5.8) using mineral water also the same as last time which has a E.C of 0.4 and half strength rhizotonic (root stimulator) and a little bit of Vita link plant start, total E.C of 1. all of these variables are the same as I have used with excellent results. the only thing I think it could be is I had the lights off waiting for the first one to break surface but have been out all day so it had popped up a bit with no light, could that be the cause of the problem?

I'm using dutch passion fem White widow seeds, thanks in advance for any advice received.

pale_seedling.jpg

Re: HELP seedling just emerged but is pale.

dont panic friend =)
ive popped a few pale seeds before, i mostly see it when manually speeding up the removal of the seed case. just keep an eye on it, if it struggles to open the cotylydons its sometimes worth surgically removing one so the 'real leaves' can recieve better light.

even if your stealth, im sure you can find a way to get it out into the real sun for an hour or two that will help wonders in kickstarting the life.

Hello GiGa, thanks for the advice. I didn't manually take off the seed case it just dropped very early i did consider that as a possible factor,
I don't think i'll be putting them in the sun as i don't want to risk bugs also i'm in the UK so not always great weather here so indoors they are at a constant 25c (77f) in a heated propagator on a thermostat with a blue 125 blue cfl for the 1st few weeks.

im also in the uk and the last few days the weather has been glorious =D

a window is fine...its hard to explain, but we dont own a single type of growing light on the planet that has the healing qualities of real sunlight, if its going to pull through at all, it will do so better with real sunlight that in any other scenario as far as i can tell ;)

Hello again Giga, yeah the weather has been nice recently but still going to stick with my cfl as it has greened up already! also my propagator and circulation fan won't fit on my windowsill and like I said I don't want to risk bugs outside. looking at it now I think it will be just fine. I think you got it in one I never even saw the seed casing for this particular seedling so it must of stayed in the rock wool as the seedling emerged.
green14.jpg

On another slightly off topic note I am using the wonders of the sun to grow my chillies in my green house and they are doing very well! especially as I'm using left over Canna terra pro plus from my soil grows on them :)

i wouldnt overly worry about pests as you progress with your hobby, once you choose a fairly resistant strain and you practice general good gardening behaviours they become as the name implies, mere pests and not really a threat. a well looked after outdoor plant powered by the sun, even partially eaten by bugs is still far likely to out yield its twin grown indoors ;)

Back
Top Bottom