Help - Spots on leaves

W1zard

Hiya guys been searching on-line and not 100% sure but was wondering if i can get some opinions as im a complete newb

Whats wrong with my babies :( i think after spending some time searching it could be a nute deficiency and by looking at lots of pics think it may be potassium , any thoughts?

also how do i correct it as am using full nutes, if it is potassium , should i just increase my use of pk boost or bloom fert Pics bellow , and thanks for your help

DSC_016223.JPG

DSC_016321.JPG

DSC_016421.JPG

Also this last pic is of a different plant and im hoping not a different problem. i think it may be the same at just a different stage..... fingers crossed

DSC_016518.JPG

What are you running your ph at, looks like a calcium def to me. Coco grows use a lot of calcium, how much calmag are you adding.:thumb::volcano-smiley:

just wat the bottle says , increasing ec to 450 on top of wat it is from the tap and ph is at 6 to 6.2

its a coco grow , im using canna calmag and house and garden nutes and supplements

had been away for 3 days and medium had dried out so recently watered with full nutes and first bit of top booster from house and garden. plants were fine when i left though upon coming back one had those spots.. (did the watering and nutes on all plants) but seems to still be occurring and spreading to other plants

directions on bottle
DSC_017222.JPG

hmmm... 6.4 is usually the target for soil growing.
When your PH is out of range, it puts some of the stuff out of absorption range. Calcium and Magnesium are on the edge of the absorption range.

im growing in coco though so i was under the impression a 5.8 to 6.2 ph was ideal for this?

Hmm , milk and epsom salts, thanks Tead :)

I believe your spots are a Mag def... perhaps a real mag def, or perhaps one caused by ph.
In order to know where to point you, we need a good bit more info.
Looks like a soil grow... tell us about your medium.
What nutes are you using and what's your exact feeding routine?
Are you already adding calmag supplement?
Are you PHing your water at all?

im ph'ing all water to 6 to 6.2 and adding canna calmag to .450 on top of existing ecc readings from tap
is a coco grow 75% ,25% perlite and using a generic fert but house and garden additives and supplements. the plants have been on full grow nutes and for last two weeks been weeding off to full bloom nutes (last watering less than .5ml a ltre of grow),

feeding routine i wish i had one, usually they getting a watering every 5-7 days depending on when the top soil is feeling dry and im not getting moisture by squeezing it. Thought through reading i should be watering more often but as far as im being told im doing the right thing waiting?

Ok... so, I actually don't see the rust spots on your new growth. Any damage on the older growth will not go away and appears to grow larger as the leaf grows.
I actually think it's a touch of a false alarm caused by older damage created in veg when you were ramping up the nutes. The red stems on your older growth validate this idea as well... that was caused by underfeeding.
I wouldn't sweat it. Your colors look good and healthy. No damage on new growth.

But let's talk about other issues....
I gauge watering needs in soil plants by using the 'lift' method. You just pick your pot up and gauge the weight. You'll soon learn what the right weights are. Just start making yourself familiar with the weight of your watered vs unwatered plants.
Another point to make... you can tell tons about your plant just by looking at it. Leaf shape and colors are a great indicator of health.
I shoot for deep green leaves with lighter green veins. If I get red veins or stems, I know I'm underfeeding. The 4th photo you posted gives a great example of the redness.
Another point to make.... feeding guidelines from nute manufacturers seem to always be low. I'm doing passive hydro at the moment and just about double the "full feed" numbers from the manufacturer. The color of the plant can be your guide here as well. I boost it up slowly till I start seeing leave 'rubbery' looking... they shine a bit. The rubbery appearance in my indicator that I'm getting close to the top end and I back down some.
Plus... various strain of MJ can have very different feeding needs.

Champion Tead ,thanks for your input and help. Its certainly alleviated some of my concerns :D

yeah feel im getting a good sense with these girls with regards to weight, as well am growing in those cloth bags so can feel how damp they are as well. Suppose i'll just keep watering them as is , when they looking like they need it and getting a bit lighter and just up the nutes slowley until i see any probs.

one more question, after you add cal mag to your solution (mine saying to get around 450 on top of tapwater, getting me an aprox ec of 640) and plants only wanting aprox a 1000ppm (ec lvl) at bloom , does that mean im shooting at only adding another 400ppm or do i ignore the figure after adding calmag and attain another 1000ppm on top of that

I don't think calmag alters ppm much. It's not a dissolved salt... and that's really what your pen reports.
I adjust my mix to the target PPM (tho I don't use a ppm pen anymore), then put my ppm pen down and pick up the PH pen and adjust the PH.

Let me toss one more idea at you.... Why use your ppm pen any more? You've been using the same amount of nutes to get to the same ppm.... why not just move over to using a set of measuring spoons (or whatever measuring device... I use a baby med syringe).

LOL cause im a newb and i was told i needed one :) ha. idk , i do use a syringe though as well to measure the mls im using , but check with the pen that the level isnt too high.

atm i get tap water, use ph and ec pen , adjust ph and add calmag with syringe at just under manufactures instructions. use ec pen to check levls and stop or add more depending on that magic 450 number printed on back of label?, lol. then syringe in nutes and additives again as per below manufactures instructions, stepping it up over time ph and ec them , add a lil more if ec lvl is low and adust if ph has increased any.

had read earlier when researching growing that manufactures generally print a higher figure on their bottles than needed wanting you to purchase more ,the reason i was adding less than it recommended at first

are you saying that , if i know the lvls in mls that im adding in and having a basis of its ec value that continuing using it (the pen ) is then redundant?

is then redundant?

Yes. I haven't used mine in years. I can tell by looking at the plants.
Honestly, I'm so familiar with my routine, I usually can hit the PH spot on without a pen (I use a slightly humped 1tsp for 1gal)... but I always use the PH pen.

So, the generally accepted routine....

Start with 1gal water.
1. Add your silica supplement (if you're using it) first... it doesn't work as well if you don't add it first... some sort of chemical magic as I recall.
2. Mix.
3. Add your nutes.
4. Mix.
5. PH to target.
6. Feed plant. Be sure not to spill water on leaves. Leaves absorb much better than roots and will get burned if you pour your mix on them.

When feeding in coco add your calmag in first then your nutes and ph to 5.7-5.8 in veg and 5.8- 5.9 in flower. If you dont have a calmag supplement growing in coco, you will need it.:volcano-smiley::thumb:

ok , so damm, i been ph'ing to high then. ty :)

OH!
And don't forget, your nutes are actually designed to lower you PH some. If you were to measure, you'd find a pretty drastic difference between the PH before and after adding the nutes.
You could end up in a situation where you need to raise the ph. I use baking soda (not baking powder). It's very effective.

Wow cheers man , ha your going to save me some money when i run out of all this calmag and ph up ers ha.

sozz for delayed reply also . Have been thinking further on what you said about the leaves being sensitive and think its possible that that could be chemical burn now.. as when watering im fairly certain water splashed on leaves. hmmm

will adjust my ph and just keep goin as i have i suppose but just make sure to water only to medium and if any splashes on leaves to give em a good spray

Back
Top Bottom