Help with very slow growth?

I'm gonna be using "smart pots" soon, is it gonna be bad if I transplant this plant into different soil?

I cant see it being a problem... The roots will love it... All that extra space

Have you seen any extra bits on ya fan leaves ??.... I had problems last grow, soil wouldnt dry out... Severe and sudden weather change....

The water logging caused extra bits on my fan leaves... Just wondering if it happened too you ??

image15354.jpg

Weird aint they ??

:Namaste:

So I'm still having a problem with slow growth! I've noticed that the temperature is a little cold (64-68F) at ALL times. I believe that is what has lead to my all purple stems. I know that may be genetics, but I think it is related to the slow growth. My seed that I germinated on October 8th, is about 3 inches high with 2-3 sets of leaves. I've recently built a room around my setup, and now the temp is around 70. I was wondering if there was anything else it could be? I've read something about a magnesium deficiency?

Hi simple , what are you using to water your plants , if tap water have you checked it's ph , the purple stem's can be a sign of a ph problem that means the plant cannot absorb the nutes it should .
looking at the leaves I do not think you have over watered , looks to me as if she is starving but trying to survive , that is why she has got dying leaves at the bottom and no leaf claws .
repot when you get your new pot in sum good soil or grow medium , water till run off and leave her to perk up , she will be fine .
oh feel the weight of the pot before you water and use this as a guide to when to water again .
good look .
Be safe .

Simplegrow... did you adjust the way that you water? Slow growth could be from several things, but we are all just guessing without a complete picture of your plants. Whatever it is, it should be dramatically obvious... your plants should be much larger than you describe by this time. The yellowing at the bottom and at the top of your first picture tells me that you were over watering by watering too often, or at least as of the last picture of the entire plant.

If you have changed the way that you water, and have let your plants dry out between several waterings, they should be bouncing back strongly and raising their leaves to the lights to show that they are happy and growing fast. I would like to see a recent picture of your slow growing plant, top to bottom.

If you have a magnesium deficiency, you would know... there would be a dramatic rusting/browning going on, starting low and rapidly moving up the plant. It would most likely be related to pH if it were happening, but you are faithfully adjusting to 6.5 each time you hit the plants with anything, right?

I checked the ph once and it was good but the tester I was using seemed old... I think it's time for a nice ph tester. The room is 80F now and I'll be testing the ph tomorrow. I will also add pictures shortly after this post.

Am I testing the pH of just the water in which I water my plants with? Or the soil as well? For the soil.. I have to water while testing pH of water before and after (runoff)?

dont worry about your soil, or the runoff.

You can expect the runoff to be a weird pH... it had to percolate through all of that soil.

The soil pH is simply the measurement of a moment in time, and it begins to drift upwards from the very moment that you water as the water begins to react to what is in the soil. When you saturate the soil, the massive volume of water and it's pH have to take over, and the soil follows the water... it can't help it.

Just make sure that every fluid that you apply to your plants and/or the soil is adjusted to 6.5 pH. Everything else is automatic and takes care of itself. You have no need to worry about runoff or soil pH.

So I set my water to about 6.7 pH and watered when the soil was nearly dry. That was 5 days ago, and the plant still isn't showing signs of fast growth. Should I have seen rapid growth if that was the problem? I will also post new pictures soon.

So I set my water to about 6.7 pH and watered when the soil was nearly dry. That was 5 days ago, and the plant still isn't showing signs of fast growth. Should I have seen rapid growth if that was the problem? I will also post new pictures soon.

Nothing happens immediately in the plant world SG, it generally takes 3 good wet/dry cycles to get things back on the fast track. Remember that overwatering had been so dramatic that growth had slowed. This means that the roots had taken measures to protect themselves from a flood, and it takes a little bit of time to convince them that it is not going to happen again. With this second watering they should be getting healthier and starting to repopulate the rootball with healthy roots, and you should start to see rapid growth again soon. At the same time that this happens, you will also note that the water use will dramatically increase, and instead of 5 days, the wet/dry cycle will reduce to 4 days, then 3... and then it will be hard to keep her wet for more than a day. At that point, it will be time to up-pot, and your growth will be off the scale. Be patient... that is what growing is all about.

p.s.
6.7 is still a bit high... please note that 6.7 is 20x more base than 6.5... there really is a big difference between those two numbers. At 6.7 I am afraid you will not have enough acid to make the heavy metals mobile, and that will cause deficiencies later on.

Hey SG, my plants are on the mend from the damage that I did to them by overwatering, and I would have sworn that while I was doing it, my plants were ready. But they were not, not for 2 weeks worth of watering straight out of the gate from a seed. They are still in trouble. But I am armed now with the knowledge that Emilya has given you. 6.5 pH is your number and no other number will suffice. Water when that pot is stupid light. Get another pot of the same size your plants are in and fill it with the same amount of soil your plants are in or will be in. They should be very close to the same weight when your plant is ready for water, but only if it's 6.5.

Well-- I pH'ed my water to 6.5, watered it, and saw great results after maybe 5-7 days. However, the next watering may have been too soon (although it even felt like the pot was light). I usually measure my pH of a few gallons at a time so I do not have to worry about it, but upon checking the pH of other water (that was previously pH'ed to 6.5) that had been sitting for a few days, I realized that the pH had risen to 6.8. I'm not completely sure if this was because of an inaccurate reading, but I measure a few times, and all confirmed within that range. I guess letting the pH'ed water sit out isn't a good idea.. or at least re-pH the water and re-measure right before watering again, because I've noticed growth to slow again. :( This may also be from overwatering however, so just in case, I propped my smart pots up on milk crates so there wasn't any stagnant water at the bottom of the sitting tray. Despite my efforts, I believe (and hope) I have fixed the problem, and hope to see my girl flourish again. Furthermore, this all contributes to my experience, and I'm sure that later in my growing career I will be glad that I have gone through these mistakes so that I can truly prevent them in the future (and in my current seedling). :cheer:

It sounds like you are making progress though, and I am sure that knowing to dry them out between waterings and using the right pH is going to get you back on track. Water will drift upward a bit as it settles usually, as the acid is neutralized by the minerals in the water over time. Usually just a few drops will touch it back up to get the pH back in the right zone right before watering, but it does pay to check. Accuracy counts. :)

Back
Top Bottom