Hi everyone

The how to water a potted plant was probably Emilya’s, it’s a great read for new comers. I’ve never read it, lol sorry Em! :sorry:

checking the PH of your run off, does nothing. A, it’s the wrong way to check the ph of your soil, and B, the run off buffers it’s own ph after running through said soil, (or coco). The proper way, is to take some substrate, and make a slurry test, out of that to determine the ph of soil. I’ve never bothered with it because I’ve never run into problems to where I needed to.

the outside plants look worse then the inside. Remember when your in coco, it’s considered a soiless compound and is considered a hydro set up. The optimal ph of your water that your looking for, is 5.8 for coco.

What I would suggest, is an immediate flush with close to 3X the amount of water, as the size of your pot your growing in. I.e.- your in a 5 gal pot, then 15 gallons of clean water. I mean who’s got the time for that... so if you run a large amount of water through, say, over the same amount of size in pot or more, should do the trick. So for easy math let’s say 6 gallons (because I have a three gallon watering jug) you run the fresh water through, and let it drain, after your done with the fresh water, have about a gallon of nutrient solution, and run that through right away so the plant isn’t starved of nutrients.

With coco, it’s also common to be feeding daily, if not twice a day, because coco, holds zero NPK value. So it’s important to have your nutrients dialed in for the right NPK value your feeding the plants.

what are you using for nutrients?

lastly, I wanna touch base on the signs of stress.

they almost look like calcium deficiency. A calcium deficiency can sometimes be difficult to diagnose since calcium deficiencies are often accompanied by magnesium, iron, and/or other cannabis deficiencies.

Remember that, once you figure out the problem, the damaged leaves may never repair them selves. So after the flush, following a feeding, then keep an eye on the healthier looking leaves to make sure it doesn’t spread. After you have determined your plants are happier, then you may remove the older damaged leaves, for better eye appeal.

so, I’d like to know what your feeding your ladies, and do you have cal mag? Extra Cal mag every feeding goes a long ways! I would say every odd feeding, but since your in coco, they might appreciate the extra calcium and magnesium:thumb:

Thanks for the reply, I see you guys put lot of time and effort into this forum and helping people, that's very admirable and I do appreciate it, I must be doing something wrong because If i feed about a litre a plant and they won't need a feed for about 2 or 3 days depending on what week flower they are, in late flower 1ltr lasts 1 night roughly, that's to the coco just separates from edge of pot, just before the point they would start to droop, they are 6 litres pots and plants grow to about 60cm roughly, I turn to flower about 30cm, I've been told by a few people that I should be watering until it runs out the bottom so it get rid of unused nutrients or salts I believe but if I do that they stay wet 5 days to a week depending what week flower/ size they are is that to long between feeds? I use house and garden drip clean every feed that's ment to help flush, I use house and garden coco nutrients and canna professional plus coco medium, pretty much stick to the house and garden chart, I haven't changed anything and haven't had this problem, the clones are the only thing that may have change but should of had them before, I don't have call mag but I'll look in to getting some and a ph pen, I only have the one u put liquid in then drop solution in and it changes colour, the slurry didn't really work in that, here's some photos
20200113_200921.jpg
20200113_201051.jpg
20200113_201229.jpg
20200113_201459.jpg
20200113_201510.jpg

The how to water a potted plant was probably Emilya’s, it’s a great read for new comers. I’ve never read it, lol sorry Em! :sorry:

checking the PH of your run off, does nothing. A, it’s the wrong way to check the ph of your soil, and B, the run off buffers it’s own ph after running through said soil, (or coco). The proper way, is to take some substrate, and make a slurry test, out of that to determine the ph of soil. I’ve never bothered with it because I’ve never run into problems to where I needed to.

the outside plants look worse then the inside. Remember when your in coco, it’s considered a soiless compound and is considered a hydro set up. The optimal ph of your water that your looking for, is 5.8 for coco.

What I would suggest, is an immediate flush with close to 3X the amount of water, as the size of your pot your growing in. I.e.- your in a 5 gal pot, then 15 gallons of clean water. I mean who’s got the time for that... so if you run a large amount of water through, say, over the same amount of size in pot or more, should do the trick. So for easy math let’s say 6 gallons (because I have a three gallon watering jug) you run the fresh water through, and let it drain, after your done with the fresh water, have about a gallon of nutrient solution, and run that through right away so the plant isn’t starved of nutrients.

With coco, it’s also common to be feeding daily, if not twice a day, because coco, holds zero NPK value. So it’s important to have your nutrients dialed in for the right NPK value your feeding the plants.

what are you using for nutrients?

lastly, I wanna touch base on the signs of stress.

they almost look like calcium deficiency. A calcium deficiency can sometimes be difficult to diagnose since calcium deficiencies are often accompanied by magnesium, iron, and/or other cannabis deficiencies.

Remember that, once you figure out the problem, the damaged leaves may never repair them selves. So after the flush, following a feeding, then keep an eye on the healthier looking leaves to make sure it doesn’t spread. After you have determined your plants are happier, then you may remove the older damaged leaves, for better eye appeal.

so, I’d like to know what your feeding your ladies, and do you have cal mag? Extra Cal mag every feeding goes a long ways! I would say every odd feeding, but since your in coco, they might appreciate the extra calcium and magnesium:thumb:
Hi that last post was to you sorry I'm a newbie and forget to reply to the post, also I forgot to say they I will flush tomorrow with water, they will be ready for water then, thanks

Yes You should always water to run off. I will tell you why, why my BLT method.

Plants love a BLT (bacon lettuce tomato sandwich)

When you feed a plant a BLT but not feed the entire surface of soil, and not water till you see run off. Your plant is getting a lot of bacon, a lil lettuce and lil to no tomato. The soil looks dry, so you feed her with another BLT, giving her another large dose of bacon, a lil lettuce and lil to no tomato, As well as the left over scraps from the lettuce and tomato before. Giving them a mixed dose of BLT. With an improper feeding technique can lead to nutrient lockout or other deficiency problems.

Feeding properly now. You give the plant a nice BLT! Watering the entire surface of soil, let it all run down, filling up the surface of your soil again, and let it drain. Repeat until you see run off. Ensuring you that all of the roots are being fed the entire BLT given. Doing so also ensures your pulling oxygen down with the water, giving a great amount of oxygen to those roots as well, because oxygen is just as important to those roots as the nutrients are.

Yes you can flush, but it’s best to do, before going into flower, and once around 2 weeks left of flower. After said flush though, continue feeding with nutrients to not allow the plant to starve looking for nutrients.

I would suggest getting your self some cal mag as it’s a very good tool/nutrient to have in your repertoire! :thumb:

It’s nearly impossible to over water in coco. As it’s not a soil, but considered a hydro grow. The roots essentially live in water. In the first photo you posted it looks like the coco has dried out too much. You don’t want to dry coco out like you would soil.

When you feed a plant a BLT but not feed the entire surface of soil, and not water till you see run off. Your plant is getting a lot of bacon, a lil lettuce and lil to no tomato. The soil looks dry, so you feed her with another BLT, giving her another large dose of bacon, a lil lettuce and lil to no tomato, As well as the left over scraps from the lettuce and tomato before. Giving them a mixed dose of BLT. With an improper feeding technique can lead to nutrient lockout or other deficiency problems.

Feeding properly now. You give the plant a nice BLT! Watering the entire surface of soil, let it all run down, filling up the surface of your soil again, and let it drain. Repeat until you see run off. Ensuring you that all of the roots are being fed the entire BLT given. Doing so also ensures your pulling oxygen down with the water, giving a great amount of oxygen to those roots as well, because oxygen is just as important to those roots as the nutrients are.

Yes you can flush, but it’s best to do, before going into flower, and once around 2 weeks left of flower. After said flush though, continue feeding with nutrients to not allow the plant to starve looking for nutrients.

I would suggest getting your self some cal mag as it’s a very good tool/nutrient to have in your repertoire! :thumb:

Every time I read this it makes my heart happy.

maybe you should put it in its own post so we can link it in our profile.

the BLS BLT watering method

So can't really overwater, cool I'll start doing that now, invest in some cal mag and a decent way of checking PH, should I get a PH pen to check coco, so much good info here I wish I joined ages ago, thanks heaps

Thanks, im not sure on strain hybrid of some sort, have 12 in coco, 1.2x1.2x2 tent, 1000w air cooled hood, 24 °C at the mo, use house and garden to there chart, 1 week into flower, runoff ph normal, the problem happened last grow when i had thrip infestation witch took me awhile to sort out, got rid off them but the left abit of damage and had a few scale bugs to, after that the leaves started turning yellow then brown, thort it was just because they were quite damaged but it seemed to spread, then I noticed the next babies in now started yellowing and dying especially if the leaf damage or had a little rip in it now it's just speading rapidly, yellowing from tip of leaf in and others from base of leaf to tip, curling leaves and weird growth, there are no visible pests, I tryed peroxide 3% spray over foliage i think left the yellow patches red like rust, have now used fungus and bacteria spray and have been constantly removing any yellowing leaf, still early days for fungus spray but I think it still speading, I've noticed outside around our house there seems to be similar damage on certain plants and weeds and the local plant nursery said he had rust, I can't seem to figure this one out, is it a type of rust, bacteria, fungus, or tiny bug I can't see, thanks for any help ya have, here's some photos
:welcome: to :420: Roy

Well IMO, you have several problems here...1) You're in coco so PH and nutrients every time is a must. 2) They definitely need some cal mag. 3) DO NOT go outside and look at dying/diseased plants and come back into your grow room w/o changing and maybe bathing...you're carrying disease and harmful insects/bacteria into your girls :thedoubletake:

I've done this, and I had to scrap everything and start over after a good cleaning of my grow room...good luck man

So can't really overwater, cool I'll start doing that now, invest in some cal mag and a decent way of checking PH, should I get a PH pen to check coco, so much good info here I wish I joined ages ago, thanks heaps
Yeah a good quality pH pen goes a long ways and it’s one of our most utilized tools in the hobby. Don’t cheap out on a pen as there are a lot of crappy pens!

:welcome: to :420: Roy

Well IMO, you have several problems here...1) You're in coco so PH and nutrients every time is a must. 2) They definitely need some cal mag. 3) DO NOT go outside and look at dying/diseased plants and come back into your grow room w/o changing and maybe bathing...you're carrying disease and harmful insects/bacteria into your girls :thedoubletake:

I've done this, and I had to scrap everything and start over after a good cleaning of my grow room...good luck man
Thanks for the help, muchly appreciate, yea I will be changing my watering from now on, do you think the outside plants are diseased? It seems similar, if so I'll need to get a filter for intake and start using that, it's just abit more noise I don't like, just been using natural air drawing in, I hope it a deficiency coz it will be a mission to do a full sanitize clean

Every time you water your plants, you should be mixing nutrients into the desired amount of water with the appropriate amount of nutrients depending on stage of life of the plant. :thumb: :passitleft:
Sorry i mean for the slurry test, do I mix water in with abit of the coco from the pots or abit of the nutrient feed in with abit of coco then test,

Sorry i mean for the slurry test, do I mix water in with abit of the coco from the pots or abit of the nutrient feed in with abit of coco then test,
Well coco retains no nutritional value so, I would say yes. Here’s a small video I found online to help you. There promoting there products, but just look beyond that. Hopefully it should help you.

Well coco retains no nutritional value so, I would say yes. Here’s a small video I found online to help you. There promoting there products, but just look beyond that. Hopefully it should help you.
Cool thanks, I'm going to order a ph pen,cal mag and some up and down, then I'll do a slurry test thanks for the help, things are looking better out there touch wood, was freaking out there for a bit, been keeping the coco wet and running off but because the cocos wet the gnat flys have came back damit

Cool thanks, I'm going to order a ph pen,cal mag and some up and down, then I'll do a slurry test thanks for the help, things are looking better out there touch wood, was freaking out there for a bit, been keeping the coco wet and running off but because the cocos wet the gnat flys have came back damit
Good to hear that they’re looking better, unfortunate about the gnats, get some sticky traps, hang them above the plants and put a few in the top of the soil near the bottomS of your plants. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom