HID or LED

OregonGrown79

Going to be starting my first DWC grow in my new 5x5x6.5 tent. I plan on starting small with only 2 plants to "get my feet wet!" Pun intended! Trying to decide which way to go for lighting. Originally I was set on a 1000watt dim able hps/mh set up. But after reading about LED alternatives I am starting to have second thoughts! Are LED's that good at not making excessive heat? What would be comparable to 1000 watt HID in LED? Any input is much appreciated! I will post pictures and start a journal once it is up and running!
Oregon

They are a lot more efficient so the heat reduction is significant. There are some nice LEDs out there if money is no object. The cheaper units will get the job done, but for the same money I don't think you will get the results seen with a 1000W HID setup. If you are electrically inclined you could make a nice DIY CREE setup for around what you would spend on your ballast/hood, but I still don't know that the performance will be comparable to the HID. I would read through this thread for some good info:

The Basics Of Plant Lighting

That was a good post from JC. You'll probably find a split between users of led and HID, and often some debate. No question that for a 1000w you're going to be dealing with some real heat. If you live in a hot place it may mean AC, which may exist in your home already. It certainly means getting a decent vent fan, which is how most of us are doing it. Definitely go for the dimmable option if you go HID.

I started out HID and dirt and moved to DWC and LED and am very happy with the move.

It is great once you get it all dialed in. I find there to be less to worry about.

It is hot where I grow so that is a big factor for me. LED is also much safer to have running.

One really good thing these days is if you want to try out LED. You could buy a couple of Mars 2's and do one run with them and they will pay for themselves.

But I just grow for myself and friends. Not for sale. I also have far more room to grow then I need. Those could be factors.

Results can be viewed in different ways. Both ways are are very capable producing top self stuff.

With the cheap LED's it is watt for watt that is pulled from the wall. With the higher priced LED's they claim you can use less then that and still be the same.

LED has opened up growing to a lot of folks who would otherwise not be growing if they had to use HID.

HID is still used by a lot of cash croppers and by those that already were using them.

I think the trend will keep moving away HID.

This grow is for personal and family so I am not looking for pounds!!! If I could turn 4-8oz every cycle I would be ecstatic, more would just be a bonus!! I do have an AC unit I planned on using if I go HID, plus a cool tube with 6" fan was in the works as well so I was prepared for excessive heat issues. I was looking on $500 plus or minus for an HID set up so that is about my budget if I go LED. I like the longevity of LED set ups as well as the cooler running temps(less fire hazard!) Any other pro's to LED? Edit, just looked at the Mars 2. Should I go for the 1600, 1200 or maybe 2 400's or 2 700's? Will I need to cool my tent with any of these LED set ups or do they run cool enough to just run a small ventilation fan for air circulation?
Oregon

Pulling that much should be no issue with the right setup.

A good grower can pull over gram a watt with LED.(per watt pulled from wall) So even a half good grower should be able to pull 1/2gram per watt. LoL

I pull 4to6oz off a good med sized plant in DWC with 5gal buckets and LED. I do not like growing much bigger then that in that size setup because at points they can drink a gallon a day. Sometimes I have to be away for two or three days. I feel much better being away with an LED in a tent then I would with HID in one. I only ran that out back in my shop and even then I would worry about it.

Heat and safety would be the biggest factors why I moved to LED.

Performance is why I am staying with it.

This grow is for personal and family so I am not looking for pounds!!! If I could turn 4-8oz every cycle I would be ecstatic, more would just be a bonus!! I do have an AC unit I planned on using if I go HID, plus a cool tube with 6" fan was in the works as well so I was prepared for excessive heat issues. I was looking on $500 plus or minus for an HID set up so that is about my budget if I go LED. I like the longevity of LED set ups as well as the cooler running temps(less fire hazard!) Any other pro's to LED?
Oregon

Gavita Pro 1000 double ended is probably the most economical/best choice for 1000 watt.
The best DE light HPS bulbs are Phillips 1000w DE, being 41% efficient.

Double ended HPS is incredibly efficient and lasts a lot longer than standard HPS bulbs.

Unless you're considering to make panels yourself, then Cree CXB chips will be the most efficient.
If you don't want to make panels yourself and want to spend 1500 dollars or more then go ahead with high-end LED panels.

High OregonGrown. Beautiful state I must say and the folks are friendly, especially the women. :)

I haven't been down since '92 but met a nice lady in Medford that I'd go down to visit and had her up to my place in BC with her boy. Almost married that woman and moved down there.

I use old magnetic HIDs and still run an EYE Hortilux conversion bulb in an HPS ballast for veg that's 12 years old at least and vegs plants just fine. My grow room is down in the concrete bunker under the house so I have more problems with the cold than the heat. Middle of August and my heater still comes on during the dark period. Was one of the big selling points when I bought this place almost 13 years ago. I have 2-400 hps, 1-400 MH, 2-150 hps and a 1000 MH.

I'll always want to run HIDs but newer LEDs are looking like a viable option especially if heat is a concern tho the more powerful ones throw lot of heat too. As they don't have the amount of light penetration as HIDs they should work best with either shorter plants or an even canopy like you'd get with training or going ScroG. Not too many folks growing classic XMas tree plants indoors any more.

Money is always tight for me so I won't be getting LED anytime soon but wouldn't mind one.

L8r

I would use a 400-600w HID... Just don't get sucked into LED system advertisements. But heat is next to nothing on LED.

Gavita Pro 1000 double ended is probably the most economical/best choice for 1000 watt.
The best DE light HPS bulbs are Phillips 1000w DE, being 41% efficient.

Double ended HPS is incredibly efficient and lasts a lot longer than standard HPS bulbs.

Unless you're considering to make panels yourself, then Cree CXB chips will be the most efficient.
If you don't want to make panels yourself and want to spend 1500 dollars or more then go ahead with high-end LED panels.

While Gavitas are nice in theory, for the average home grower they aren't going to be an option in some cases because the recommended distance from canopy is 36"-48".

While Gavitas are nice in theory, for the average home grower they aren't going to be an option in some cases because the recommended distance from canopy is 36"-48".

I use a Pro 6/750e flex I read the paperwork that come with mine and I swear the recommended distance was 17" - 30" or 45cm-75cm.

Hello OG79

If you are only looking for 8oz or less and are willing to train your plants, the Mars II 900 in a 3'6 x3'6 space will easily give you that yield. I am a first time grower, growing 4 plants in that space under a 900, harvesting in 2 stages. The first stage I cut all the larger bud from the plants and lowered the light to let the smaller lower bud develop more. In the first cut I yielded 149g dry weight (5 1/4oz). After the second, and final, cut I should be on par with about 10oz.

These plants were grown in an organic super soil that I have only watered the entire life of the plants.

Back
Top Bottom