High humidity in my first coco grow

ColonelForbin

420 Member
Hey there people. I’m on my first coco grow. It’s cloud coir, 50/50 coco perlite. 14 1000s. 71 plants in 5 gallons. My humidity is pretty high. With the lights off, it got to almost 70% today so I went and bought another dehumidifier. Now I have 2 70 pint dehus running in a 32x22x10 ft room. The lights are on now and it’s saying 58%. I’ve been feeding everyday, 60 gallons through the 71 5 gallons. So my question is should I stop the daily watering to keep humidity down? I’m terrified of PM again, I got it pretty bad last round in soil and had to completely redo everything in my room. I’m at the end of my first week of flower today. I haven’t watered yet this evening and trying to decide if I should. Thanks for looking.

As long as you incorporate defoliation to any leaves touching each other, I'd say you'll be alright. If RH gets above 65 you definitely want a dehumidifier. In late flower I like a good 30rh so I use a dehumidifier

Big time operation! Yes, this is a normal way to run coco and I can see how RH is getting up there so high... Is there any way to increase airflow in there and vent some of that humidity to the outside at least part of the day?

I could leave my exhaust on 24/7 but my temps would drop significantly. I’m up at 5000 ft in the snow. As soon as my lights go off, which is 5am, my temps drop roughly 5 degrees. Then they keep dropping slowly but it’s not full blown cold yet. It was 62 when my lights turned on this evening at 5. And like I said it’s not super cold yet. I’m pretty insulated but it’s a big garage with concrete floors.

It’s 75 and 59% right now.
You more then likely will need to defoliate and get a dehumidifier forsure.. last thing you want is fungus on all them babys and a dehumidifier puts off some heat also so you can bring more fresh air in.. drop your humidity to 30% in middle to late floor it makes the plants produce more trichomes then you can ever imagine

I’ve got two 70 pint dehumidifiers running at max 24/7
If you have the type that you can run off the water with a hose like mine do that.. bc in your dehumidifier is a holding tank that gives off alot of moisture its like setting out 4 gallons of water in your grow space this is what i had to do with mine bc i kept running a big dehumidifier in mine and kn rainy days have to empty it constantly and figured out there was a port to hook up a hose so that it would drain outside of my grow space and my humidity problem was fixed but i didnt have 71 plants either but this will help and with running coco your just going to have to water more n more each day till the last 2 weeks when they start to not use as much water

Yea bro. One has a pump pushing out and the other is gravity fed outside my room. I’m just screwed huh? No coco in the winter? At least not watering daily? That’s what 90% of people say to do. Water every day. Damnit. Thanks for the help with brainstorming but it looks like I have all the avenues covered short of buying a big boy dehumidifier?

Yea bro. One has a pump pushing out and the other is gravity fed outside my room. I’m just screwed huh? No coco in the winter? At least not watering daily? That’s what 90% of people say to do. Water every day. Damnit. Thanks for the help with brainstorming but it looks like I have all the avenues covered short of buying a big boy dehumidifier?
Well no your not..
Put aluminum foil or plastic wrap over the top of the pots, that'll kill alot of moisture youll have to open up to water everytime but thatll kill your problem..

Good call. Do you think I’ll be able to continue daily watering? I’m unsure about how else to handle coco.
Yeah you still will be able to water everyday just will have to pull back the plastic everytime which isnt no big deal.. just makesure you put plastic back over the top of the coco if anything your gonna water less from the water not evaporating out of the pot and each day the plant will drink more in more so yeah youll be fine and it should kill alot of your moisture problem

If this were my situation I would handle it a little differently. Knowing that most of the rise of humidity would come at the time of watering, as water is moving and seeping into the coco, but not as much afterwards due to the much smaller amount of evaporation from the tops of the containers, I would vent out the place about an hour during and after watering to remove this free moisture, and then I would let the temperature come back up and see what was happening with the humdity. In veg I wouldnt even worry about a higher humidity, the plants will love it, and I would save running the big dehumidifiers for full time during mid to late flower when mold and bud rot are more of a concern.
This of course while making sure that I had many strong fans circulating air around this room creating a constant breeze no matter where in the room you are, and I don't think you would have any problems.

If this were my situation I would handle it a little differently. Knowing that most of the rise of humidity would come at the time of watering, as water is moving and seeping into the coco, but not as much afterwards due to the much smaller amount of evaporation from the tops of the containers, I would vent out the place about an hour during and after watering to remove this free moisture, and then I would let the temperature come back up and see what was happening with the humdity. In veg I wouldnt even worry about a higher humidity, the plants will love it, and I would save running the big dehumidifiers for full time during mid to late flower when mold and bud rot are more of a concern.
This of course while making sure that I had many strong fans circulating air around this room creating a constant breeze no matter where in the room you are, and I don't think you would have any problems.
Yes but he is more worried about fungus growing more then anything and water evaporation is done threw a upward motion just like a fish tank filled with water or a bucket of water siting in the room ..water evaporation is the most linked problem with grow rooms with humidity problems there is more ease with covering the
Top of the pots with plastic and killing alot of humidity in the process and bugs also abunch of growers kill humidity this way since we all know evaporation is done in a upward motion.. just like a storm it draws it moisture from within the ground and upward into the clouds this is why the top of the soil is dry first due to the motion of air being drawn upward and drying out the top of soil first i took meterology in school and know all about this problem in why its effective at killing humidity this will work for him and kill abunch of humidity quickly.

Back
Top Bottom