Pot size in coco

greenleafpharm

Hey all! My plan as of now is to go from rock wool/aero cloner (haven't decided yet, most likely will go with turbo kloner) to a 10 gallon pot of 70% coco 30% perlite in veg.. then 8 weeks later, put them in a 20 gallon of 70/30 coco/perlite in flower. My worry is that the 10 gallon is too big for the clones. So I was thinking maybe go from freshly rooted clone, to 3 gallon, to 10 gallon, and finishing in flower with 20 gallon.
SO, what does everyone think of starting veg in a 10 gallon?? Also, is 20 gallons of coco too much? I fortunately have the room height to grow pretty large plants. thanks !!

Since in coco you will be just bottle feeding then all you really need is about 7 gallons.
I am a big proponent of larger fabric pots so to me even 10 gallons is perfectly fine.
Anymore than that will probably see diminishing returns.
If you already have 10 gal then that's fine but no need at all to go larger in coco.
You're spoon feeding them so the root mass of a 10 gallon pot especially a fabric one is massive.

I wouldn't keep transplanting, not from fabric to fabric that would be a PIA.

Your clones are going to be decent size when you transplant into the 10 gal pot so just water them really good make sure theres no dry spots, water and feed a weak 1/4th of what they say on bottle.

These guys are right in my opinion.. What are you growing giant redwood trees?! So long of a veg? Is your ceiling 10+ feet high? 20 gallon is gonna take a LOT of watering /feeding. Guess it depends on your objectives. Pretty sure I could grow a pounder in 5g with the right light/room. Best of luck with your grow!

These guys are right in my opinion.. What are you growing giant redwood trees?! So long of a veg? Is your ceiling 10+ feet high? 20 gallon is gonna take a LOT of watering /feeding. Guess it depends on your objectives. Pretty sure I could grow a pounder in 5g with the right light/room. Best of luck with your grow!
I can do them in a 4inch Rockwool cube :) profile pic is one of them lol. Its easy enough with 500w overhead.

wow I'm replying late, my bad, i thought i would get a notification, still new to this site. but yes I do have high ceilings and have the room. each plant has its own 4x4 space as well, which is why I'm trying to see what the most beneficial way for me would be. I was thinking of using 20 gallon pots, and scrogging, adding a new screen as they get taller.

What's your lighting situation? With coco/perlite your limiting factor is going to be light not pot size. Especially if you plan to do a for real scrog with a nice flat canopy and not just netting for support. IMO you're better off with smaller pots and more of them if anything. I would reckon a vigorous clone in 7 gallon of coco with an 8 week veg can easily be scrogged to take up an entire 4x4 no problem at all. With the right light of course.

but yes I do have high ceilings and have the room. each plant has its own 4x4 space as well, which is why I'm trying to see what the most beneficial way for me would be. I was thinking of using 20 gallon pots, and scrogging, adding a new screen as they get taller.
if your not going to have them in vegetative growth for several months I would look at smaller pots as others have suggested and increase plant count in regards to filling the entire space .

each plant has a 630w cmh light. and i plan on vegging 9 weeks total, 1 week clone, 8 weeks veg. I wouldn't be able to go more plants because I don't want to go over my plant count. and yeah i plan on using the scrog to have a nice even canopy across the room, and to help shape the plant to grow wide and tall at the same time

Back
Top Bottom