honey vs molasses

s3xpanther

Hey, I'm new to growing, and I read some stuff about molasses helping with yields. This led me to wonder if honey would have any benefits when adding to a feeding regimen. Anybody hear about honey being used?

I use honey as a carb load with higher ph with b1 for 2 - 3 weeks before flush. I switched to honey from molases... molases seemed to turn into a scum in my res... honey not soo much. I notice a difference in weight (slight) and they seem to have more trich's. I use a light mix... 1 tbl spoon boiled into a gallon of water. said gallon added to 20gal tank.

I've never used honey but I have used molasses before and raw sugar, but both in soil so I can't comment about how pumps handle it, etc. I have only added them as a source of food(carbs) during the flush. I have to assume if the plants are processing nutrients vs. water alone they should grow a little more, thereby increasing yield.(makes sense anyway) I can tell you it does seem to help with the resin production during the flushing period, also sticking the plants in 24 hr darkness for the last 36 hours, and adding ice cubes to the flush water seems to help too.

I've never used honey but I have used molasses before and raw sugar, but both in soil so I can't comment about how pumps handle it, etc. I have only added them as a source of food(carbs) during the flush. I have to assume if the plants are processing nutrients vs. water alone they should grow a little more, thereby increasing yield.(makes sense anyway) I can tell you it does seem to help with the resin production during the flushing period, also sticking the plants in 24 hr darkness for the last 36 hours, and adding ice cubes to the flush water seems to help too.

new about the darkness tip but not the molasses.how do you mix it and at what dose do you feed it at?

I recently picked up some raw organic sugar and am using it for the second time around and I think I like it. Its much easier to mix it up, I am not sure what everyone else does with molasses but I always have to boil a little water first, add the molasses to that, then mix that in with the rest of the flushing water. The sugar dissolves so it saves that step(I guess not having to heat water lowers the carbon footprint of your grow too :goodjob:), plus I like to add a ton of ice cubes to the last flush or two to further stress the plants and with molasses the container is always super sticky so I wonder how much actually makes it to the root zone in a soil grow? I always added it with each flush, but just read an article in HT and it was recommended only during the first flush, so I am going to try that next and see :slide:

I've been checking this thread in interest, only having a one plant grow, and paranoid as hell of screwing up what is possibly the best plant I've grown to date. I think I'll take the plunge, you all have convinced me to try it.

If I understand areo420 correctly, it's a one time shot on the first flush, and subsequent flushes are h20 only? I estimate 4 more weeks of flower before I take any flushing action. Thanks.

Ok I used about 1 tsp of honey with veg nutes. No joke, its lookin a bit better than my other plants. I'll keep you guys posted with the progress.

Thats what I have been reading recently. I use to start with 2tbsp added to a cup of boiling water, then added that to a gallon. The 2nd flush I would do 1tbsp per gallon, and the third I would do 1/2tbsp, etc, until I was back to straight water. I recently started using raw sugar instead, starting with 2 "healthy"tbsp and followed the same principle. The next time around I am going to do it on the first flush and watch and see if the plants ask for more food. For years I always grew in hydro or areo and you can see the leaves turning yellow during the flush with straight water, and not as much so when adding carbs to the flush. Recently I switched to organic soil and have been using this crazy modified Fox Farm blend and pretty much have been only using straight water during veg, only adding nutes in flower, and in low doses. I am going to start a grow log soon and will keep everyone posted as far as what I find with carbs during flush in soil. I can tell you for sure it helped in soil-less applications.

After all, every single florist in the world gives you a packet to add to you cut roses so it must be of some benefit, right?

Thats what I have been reading recently. I use to start with 2tbsp added to a cup of boiling water, then added that to a gallon. The 2nd flush I would do 1tbsp per gallon, and the third I would do 1/2tbsp, etc, until I was back to straight water. I recently started using raw sugar instead, starting with 2 "healthy"tbsp and followed the same principle. The next time around I am going to do it on the first flush and watch and see if the plants ask for more food. For years I always grew in hydro or areo and you can see the leaves turning yellow during the flush with straight water, and not as much so when adding carbs to the flush. Recently I switched to organic soil and have been using this crazy modified Fox Farm blend and pretty much have been only using straight water during veg, only adding nutes in flower, and in low doses. I am going to start a grow log soon and will keep everyone posted as far as what I find with carbs during flush in soil. I can tell you for sure it helped in soil-less applications.

After all, every single florist in the world gives you a packet to add to you cut roses so it must be of some benefit, right?

Thanks for the quick feedback aero420, I'll update my journal as well. From what I've read, it shouldn't cause any ill effects.

honey has antibacterial properties which i like, I never make it concentrated enough to make things "sticky". One of the reasons I boil the honey (natural) or the molasses (refined) is to break down the sugar molecules to "simple sugars" (honey may already qualify out of the bottle). Many sugars (like table sugars) are complex molecules that are too large to be processed by simple organisms (like yeast, bacteria, plants... things with no digestive track.) bringing the temperature up in liquid will split the molecules of sugar in 2 creating 2 simple sugars that are liquid.

(recipe for simple syrup.... make yer own sweet tea.... almost.) 1 part sugar to 1 part water
In a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil; simmer until the sugar is dissolved, 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.

sugar is broken down and will not crystallize again when cooled. (unless you add crystals)

Back
Top Bottom