How do I germinate seeds?

if you let your local tapwater sit in ajug or resivour overnite it will be fairly close to 5.5 also it doesnt hurt to put a tablespoon of bleach or hydrogen peroxide in you germination water will kill any fungis or mould that could be present will not harm seed just rinse after you soak them overnite good luck bro I also use the 318 rainforest exelent machine put 1tablespoon hydrogen peroxide 35% food grade in your 17 gallon holding tank really promotes root growth you wont fucking believe it looks like spaghetti snow white and about 14 inches long big buds check supersonic aerophonic out she will explain all much better than I its a cannibis culture article I stumbled on researching the best ways to grow keep your ph 5.5-5.8 you,ll love the 318 ceck you later man

I put a seed in a pot with soil from the woods today. I have it in my room here with a reading lamp sitting overhead. The soil had worms in it, I was told that worms are a good sign of healthy soil. the lamp gives off alot of heat, I just need to know, will the seed sprout this way?

I put a seed in a pot with soil from the woods today. I have it in my room here with a reading lamp sitting overhead. The soil had worms in it, I was told that worms are a good sign of healthy soil. the lamp gives off alot of heat, I just need to know, will the seed sprout this way?

Yes, the seed will sprout. It doesn't necessarily need a light on it in order to sprout. That's exactly how my first grow started. I've always preferred sprouting the seeds straight from the soil. The lamp you mentioned sounds like it might have an incandescent bulb, though, which is no good. I also made the same mistake for the first week and all the little sprout did was stretch. Get some CFL's and you'll be good.

Due to the first week stretching under the incandescent bulb the stem turned out like a curly-Q.
day195.jpg

Yes, the seed will sprout. It doesn't necessarily need a light on it in order to sprout. That's exactly how my first grow started. I've always preferred sprouting the seeds straight from the soil. The lamp you mentioned sounds like it might have an incandescent bulb, though, which is no good. I also made the same mistake for the first week and all the little sprout did was stretch. Get some CFL's and you'll be good.

Due to the first week stretching under the incandescent bulb the stem turned out like a curly-Q.
day195.jpg

wats the diffrence between incandescent lighting an CFL lighting? lol this is my first attempt at this so bear wit me lol

wats the diffrence between incandescent lighting an CFL lighting? lol this is my first attempt at this so bear wit me lol

Incandescent bulbs are the old school ones (usually round in shape) that just heat up the filament to produce light. CFL's do not produce as much heat, while at the same time producing MORE light so you can put them right above the sprout without worrying about heat issues.

Incandescent bulb:
incandescent-light-bulb.jpg

CFL bulb:
inCompact-Fluorescent-Bulb.jpg

Incandescent bulbs are the old school ones (usually round in shape) that just heat up the filament to produce light. CFL's do not produce as much heat, while at the same time producing MORE light so you can put them right above the sprout without worrying about heat issues.

Incandescent bulb:

CFL bulb:

Also bear in mind the CFLs use a fraction of the energy that a standard incandescent uses. So for instance if you have 100W incandescent setup, with a couple of socket splitters you could use 3 or 4 CFL bulbs in the same fixture, yielding much more light and lumens (and your plants with thank you for it!)

Incandescent bulb:

CFL bulb:

dude i have a whole box of those lol thanksman, i appreciate it.

No problem. I also knew absolutely nothing until I found this site and started reading journals and asking questions. Good Luck with everything.

AmGrowR-
Glad you're getting something out of this site! Its a wealth of information. If you ever get stuck on something, reach out and ask cause you'll find a plethora of like-minded people who will help you out!

Best of luck!!!

I was wondering what to do about elongated stems. I had about 1.5 cm of root tip showing after about 48 hours in paper towels. I transfered them to General Hydroponics Rapid Rooter cubes. After a couple more days I turned on the MH light for 12 hours at a time.

The seeds stretched up over the top of the cubes and leaves began to form. Trouble is the stems got long. About 2 -3 inches long. Four leaves are starting on each plant (there are 2) but the weight is causing the plant to lie on their sides.

The MH light was originally about 3 - 4 feet above the tray. It's now about 2 feet. The seedlings are 2 weeks old.

I'm a new grower and any information into how to remedy the situation with these little guys would be greatly appreciated!

i've always thrown in water let float, don't let drown or they're ruined. also keep in someplace cool and dark. after two days i'd check most will have cracked. plant them into soil with tail down when is about 1/2 inch cracked out in water... easy as pie and easiest way i've found and fastest.. also different strains take different amounts of time, also a hybrid, or 100 indica, or 100 sativa..

I was wondering what to do about elongated stems. I had about 1.5 cm of root tip showing after about 48 hours in paper towels. I transfered them to General Hydroponics Rapid Rooter cubes. After a couple more days I turned on the MH light for 12 hours at a time.

The seeds stretched up over the top of the cubes and leaves began to form. Trouble is the stems got long. About 2 -3 inches long. Four leaves are starting on each plant (there are 2) but the weight is causing the plant to lie on their sides.

The MH light was originally about 3 - 4 feet above the tray. It's now about 2 feet. The seedlings are 2 weeks old.

I'm a new grower and any information into how to remedy the situation with these little guys would be greatly appreciated!

well im sure a lot of other growers could possibly explain this better then me but ill try. I'm new to the grow thing myself but from what ive read and heard is that if the plant or seedling dont get the right amount of light they will start to stretch looking for it so i would say get the light as close to your plants as possible without burning them and from what i heard is if its a 400w mh have it at 12"-24" away 600w 18"-30" way and so on ask around people here will h:tokin:elp u or direct u to where u need to go u came to the right place :tokin:buddy!!!

well im sure a lot of other growers could possibly explain this better then me but ill try. I'm new to the grow thing myself but from what ive read and heard is that if the plant or seedling dont get the right amount of light they will start to stretch looking for it so i would say get the light as close to your plants as possible without burning them and from what i heard is if its a 400w mh have it at 12"-24" away 600w 18"-30" way and so on ask around people here will h:tokin:elp u or direct u to where u need to go u came to the right place :tokin:buddy!!!

That's been my experience as well. On my first grow I put the seedlings under a household cfl and had to splint all of them because the stems stretched looking for more light. Once I put them under the HID they recovered. I did lose one that had fallen over and stayed bent for a long period before I found it.

After that fiasco, I put seedlings under a proper grow light, either a T5 or under the HID placed high away.

Cheers mates! :cool:

Thanks for the replies. I started them on an MH light but it was too high which probably caused them to reach. I'm also planning on covering the hole in the grow cube with a timy piece of cube. The seedlings on this batch pushed themselves out of the holes as they grew and I think a tiny bit of resistance might help keep the seed in place while the root gets a good hold on the cube.

Cheers mates! :cool:

Thanks for the replies. I started them on an MH light but it was too high which probably caused them to reach. I'm also planning on covering the hole in the grow cube with a timy piece of cube. The seedlings on this batch pushed themselves out of the holes as they grew and I think a tiny bit of resistance might help keep the seed in place while the root gets a good hold on the cube.

I don't know if it's useful, but that's what I do with my Rapid Rooters. I stick a piece of the RR loosely into the hole so the light doesn't hit the root. It usually gets pushed back out by the plant, but by then I've got it in a netpot with a hydroton layer on top to keep out light.

I just put ten seed in a cup of warm water and I will let sit for 24hours do I then put them in a napkin and a zip lock bag how long should they stay in there for or do I just take them out of the water and put them in a cup in a dome under 1T-5 8buld fluorescent I hope that light will do the first few stages thay will be in a 3ft by 3ft tent and its 7fr high sits in the basement if this is wrong please help me I'm on my first grow thanks everyone for your help

need help with germinate my seeds?

Ok first. I put 10seeds into a cup for about 20hours and they where all at the bottom in the morning,so then I put them in napkins above my fridge and then when is it time to put them in soil or do I do something else to them before they go in soil? So when I put them in soil should I put them in a cup under my fluorescent I have a T-5 2ft 8buld light I believe 16on 8hours off any help would be nice thanks.

Re: need help with germinate my seeds?

Ok first. I put 10seeds into a cup for about 20hours and they where all at the bottom in the morning,so then I put them in napkins above my fridge and then when is it time to put them in soil or do I do something else to them before they go in soil? So when I put them in soil should I put them in a cup under my fluorescent I have a T-5 2ft 8buld light I believe 16on 8hours off any help would be nice thanks.

SmokeFree, all I can tell you is how I do mine, and all I do is put the seeds in a damp paper towel over some warmth of some kind or under a lamp that'll give them some heat (if I put a lamp on them for heat, I keep the seeds in the dark). So far, they've all sprouted within 36 hours except for one that never germinated. Most popped out between 24 and 30 hrs.

Soaking is supposed to be good, so you're doing ok so far. I would advise just doing it like I do and keep an eye on the paper towels so they don't dry out. Once the seeds sprout and you get a nice little "tap root", you can plant them into the soil. Once the green pokes out of the dirt, you can give it light as much as you want. At least 18 hrs a day to start, I'd say.

Back
Top Bottom