Is there a faster way to germinate seeds?

Seeds of the same type may not crack on the same days either right?

I germed all mine yesterday and all but 3 are open, they are 3 or 4 different strains.
wow how fast was that . i have a hard time with them splitting

Can seeds get old?
I’m trying to germinate female seeds I bought 3 years ago and they are taking forever!
one germinated early but now it’s planted in seed raising mix and it’s still tiny after a week.
should I buy some new seeds?

i have seeds from 3 years ago….seed bank feminised seeds.
Been in the damp paper towel for 3 weeks and still nothing.
What am I doing wrong?
Don't know, had same problem with a couple of seeds myself. I just started over with new seed/s. Cut your losses. I used a small glass jar with screw top. I put the wet paper towels inside with seeds on top and cover with saran wrap then screw cap back on for 2 days or more, :ganjamon:

I have great success rates germinating directly in water and peroxide.
No paper towels. 1 part 3% peroxide to 10 parts water or 1 to 9 should be fine as well.
Once the shell cracks open, or gets air bubbles around it, I know it's viable.
It doesn't need to sink and you don't need to wait for the tap root.
It can sometimes take a couple days then I just dump the shot glass directly onto the soil,
water and all and cover the seed gently so it's not buried too deep.
The peroxide is supposed to sterilize the seed casing but also they probably love the added oxygen.

I've seen seed crackers to crack the shells open manually which may solve some of the difficulty with sprouting older seeds.

If you have some sand paper roll it up like wide straw. Put the seed or seeds in and close the ends with your finger and thumb. Shake lightly with the tube horizontally/parallel to the ground. Shake 30 seconds and check. This will help water penetrate the shell.

That being said patience is important throughout the entire lifecycle. Some seeds/cultivars may be slower or faster than other varieties during different stages of growth.

For old, difficult and hard to germinate seeds some people have had success with gibberellic acid. That however can cause issues later in growth.

Don't know, had same problem with a couple of seeds myself. I just started over with new seed/s. Cut your losses. I used a small glass jar with screw top. I put the wet paper towels inside with seeds on top and cover with saran wrap then screw cap back on for 2 days or more, :ganjamon:
So you put the saran wrap over the top of the jar? Then the lid?
Or Saran wrap over the seed?
I’ve just received new seeds and looking to try a new way

So you put the saran wrap over the top of the jar? Then the lid?
Or Saran wrap over the seed?
I’ve just received new seeds and looking to try a new way
The saranwrap over the jar silly. ;)
Mine started sprouting a root in about 2 days. Some earlier than others. I hope this helps.
Wait, I also will only transplant the seeding like this. Just cover the tiny root.
Plants09142023.jpg

Back
Top Bottom