Trouble germinating

y2kayo

Equipment needed :
1. seeds ( of course )
2. paper towels
3. air-tight plastic container
4. pocketknife or sandpaper
5. water

I have found that I always get reliable germination results using the following technique :

Method :
1. LIGHTLY chip/scarify outer seed coat in one place. I stress lightly because if you do it too roughly it will ruin a good seed.

2. Dampen paper towels and place seeds on it. Either fold or roll it up so that its pressing against the seeds.

3. Put paper towels with seeds inside into an air-tight plastic container.

4. Place in a warm location like on top of a TV set, VCR, or refridgerator.

5. Open every 12 hours to allow oxgen into the container and check on the seeds. Most should germinate in about 24 hours, but there may be a few that need a bit longer.

Author: NZ Ganja Growin
Should I try scoring them lightly?

Back when I was a kid I'd throw them in a damp paper towel and duck tape them behind the TV for 2 days in a ziploc and it worked every time.

I am struggling after getting them to crack in the cup of water for 12 hours.

This is what I have going on:
A shot glass filled with spring water with a larger cup overtop with a thick cloth over top under a lamp at exactly 28 C/82F (To be able to get warm darkness, my city's climate sucks it's cold here)

Then I have an airtight container with cracked seeds in a damp paper towel that I rolled up tightly and I'm letting air in every 6 hours or so (I turn off the lights lol)

1682010791240127488118775199158.jpg

I normally drop em in a glass of water for 24-48 hours or until they crack and I see a little tail then I remove them, put them into a wet paper towel until the tail gets to be 1/4 to 1/2 inch, then into the seedling mix it goes I like for the seeds to float on top of the water, lessens the chances of drowing the seed, but if they sink just keep a close eye on them and get them into wet paper towel soon after the crack. I have never found it necessary to score, cut, or sand the seeds.

I normally drop em in a glass of water for 24-48 hours or until they crack and I see a little tail then I remove them, put them into a wet paper towel until the tail gets to be 1/4 to 1/2 inch, then into the seedling mix it goes I like for the seeds to float on top of the water, lessens the chances of drowing the seed, but if they sink just keep a close eye on them and get them into wet paper towel soon after the crack. I have never found it necessary to score, cut, or sand the seeds.

So far they have all floated, the pamphlet that came with my seeds says to specifically push them down after a while so they sit at the bottom...
Maybe I won't do that this time.

I can get them to crack, but they don't do anything after having cracked and show like 0.5mm tailing after I put them in a damp paper towel.
I'm actually stumped.

So far they have all floated, the pamphlet that came with my seeds says to specifically push them down after a while so they sit at the bottom...

I can get them to crack, but they don't do anything after having cracked and show like 0.5mm tailing after I put them in a damp paper towel.
I'm actually stumped.
Sounds like they may be old or not stored proper. try adding 10 % hydrogen peroxide to your water

I'm actually stumped.
Try putting them into seedling soil after they crack, skip the paper towel. Of course you could also try the old fashion way of just planting them in the seedling soil and watering.

I would avoid the airtight efforts, respectfully- there’s no need for that.

Not a fan of paper towels either or even the h202. Full disclosure… I was a hydrogen peroxide user up until recently, now I just roll each seed in great white mycos powder- let it sit all powdered up the day before soaking.

yup push floaters to the bottom but everything comes out of the water in less than 24 hours. After they sit on bottom for couple hours it’s time. Never scuffed or sanded myself either. Me thinks paper towels are chemically harsh plus the tap root tries to attach to the paper towel only to be uprooted, handled and moved to new location. Save steps and handling… 1st contact with mycos, then soak and straight into seed starter mix and done!

if using older beans or ones not stored in fridge then might be time to start over with new genetics

better kick next time!

Yeah, don't do that. The seed needs access to both moisture  and oxygen, the latter will be tougher to come by at the bottom of a cup of water.

If they do sink before they crack, just pour out some of the water so they are closer to the air, but don't let them dry out.

Back when I was a kid I'd throw them in a damp paper towel and duck tape them behind the TV for 2 days in a ziploc and it worked every time.
If it worked then it should work now.

Then I have an airtight container with cracked seeds in a damp paper towel that I rolled up tightly and I'm letting air in every 6 hours or so (I turn off the lights lol)
Your message reads like you have been having some troubles getting seeds to germinate/sprout. Then it reads as if you have been making the preparation more complicated. Maybe it is a case of over thinking it.

I am not a supporter of this paper towel method of germinating seeds and then planting them. One thing is that the tip of the tap root is brittle and easy to break. If the tip breaks that is usually all that will happen. The seed is done for since all the root growth will be at the tip. Later on, after the root starts to branch off into several different tips, it is OK if one breaks. Till then, protect the tap root's tip like it was gold.

Sometimes I wonder if the problems with paper towels is caused by the manufacturing process and the bleaches and other chemicals that are used to whiten the towel.
This is what I have going on:
A shot glass filled with spring water with a larger cup overtop with a thick cloth over top under a lamp at exactly 28 C/82F (To be able to get warm darkness, my city's climate sucks it's cold here)
As long as you keep the inside of the house warm then it will not matter to the seed what the temperature is outside. If you want to continue with the paper towel method then there should be plenty of places where the seed can be placed where it will be warm enough.

Try the direct to soil method along the lines of what some of the previous members have mentioned. Soak the seeds for several hours but it is not necessary. Then put it into a small container of well dampened soil. Put the container someplace warm like above a fridge or on top of an old fashioned tube TV.

If the seeds are mature and healthy they should germinate.

Good luck.

If it worked then it should work now.

Your message reads like you have been having some troubles getting seeds to germinate/sprout. Then it reads as if you have been making the preparation more complicated. Maybe it is a case of over thinking it.

I am not a supporter of this paper towel method of germinating seeds and then planting them. One thing is that the tip of the tap root is brittle and easy to break. If the tip breaks that is usually all that will happen. The seed is done for since all the root growth will be at the tip. Later on, after the root starts to branch off into several different tips, it is OK if one breaks. Till then, protect the tap root's tip like it was gold.

Sometimes I wonder if the problems with paper towels is caused by the manufacturing process and the bleaches and other chemicals that are used to whiten the towel.

As long as you keep the inside of the house warm then it will not matter to the seed what the temperature is outside. If you want to continue with the paper towel method then there should be plenty of places where the seed can be placed where it will be warm enough.

Try the direct to soil method along the lines of what some of the previous members have mentioned. Soak the seeds for several hours but it is not necessary. Then put it into a small container of well dampened soil. Put the container someplace warm like above a fridge or on top of an old fashioned tube TV.

If the seeds are mature and healthy they should germinate.

Good luck.

I cant find anywhere that's dark and also warm that can also have fresh air.
I live in an old house it gets cold inside if the weather is shitty and drops during the night too.

I'm going to try taping one behind the one TV I have that still gets warm.

I'm pretty sure I got bad seeds from crop king as they're reviews are not the best. Either 5 stars or 1 with the same trouble I'm having

We got rid of the old school tv I used back in the day when flat screens came out so I don't have a TV to put anything on top of

I take 1 part peroxide to 10 parts water and soak for about a hour and then I use that solution to dampen my paper towel. Scuff lightly with fine grit sandpaper and then fold into the paper towel. Moistene towel with the solution and put into a ziplock bag. Place the bag bag in a warm dark place and check daily. I have a dresser over a heater vent and I put into a drawer. CL🍀

I take 1 part peroxide to 10 parts water and soak for about a hour and then I use that solution to dampen my paper towel. Scuff lightly with fine grit sandpaper and then fold into the paper towel. Moistene towel with the solution and put into a ziplock bag. Place the bag bag in a warm dark place and check daily. I have a dresser over a heater vent and I put into a drawer. CL🍀

I just put a seed into a hydrogen peroxide solution hopefully it'll crack,
Where do you recommend getting seeds from I'm pretty sure crop king sells bunk seeds they don't have great reviews....

I just put a seed into a hydrogen peroxide solution hopefully it'll crack,
Where do you recommend getting seeds from I'm pretty sure crop king sells bunk seeds they don't have great reviews....
@CaliSeedStore has been good to me. Mention you're a 420 member in the comment section for some extra freebies.

Back
Top Bottom